Why do they need a coach?

Its simple - what is part of your job description and requirements. You can be held accountable for that. A batsman or bowler can go beyond and above the job requirement - that can be appreciated but cannot be expected and they cannot be held accountable for others' performances or issues. A coach can be held accountable if a player continuosly makes a certain mistake. At the very least, the coach should let the selectors know this issue cannot be corrected etc.

He may - but he need not. Thats not part of his job requirement. His requirement as a batsman is to bat well and score runs. If he helps out a junior, well and good. But it is not compulsory. Huge difference. But a coach's job is to do that. He can be held accountable for it(well he should be held accountable atleast). You cannot hold a senior batsman "accountable" for someone else.
playing cricket for the country is not a job. You do what you can for the betterment of the country..so why wouldn't the seniors do that? In fact it is expected of them

What I mean is, if a senior batsman is scoring good runs consistently, we cannot drop him because he has not helped a rookie opener correct his technique or hasnt helped a rookie middle order bat to play the pull shot etc. We can fire a coach however if he is warming the bench without genuinely putting effort to correct these things. If that intent and effort is not there we can take the coach to task. You however cant scold or drop a senior bat who is delivering consistently. You can drop the senior bat if he is not batting well himself, but thats another story.

at the top level all you need is a couple of tips here and there after that it is your job to work on the flaws e.g Imran learnt reverse swing and other bowling techniques from Sarfraz' date=' Wasim and Waqar learnt from Imran, Shoaib got his tips from Wasim and now Gul/Asif learn from Shoaib. That is the advantage of having experienced players in your team.[/quote'] Nope! Don't agree. I don't think Gul and Asif are learning anything from Shoaib but Wasim and Waqar did learn from Imran. Then Jaffer and Karthik are not great individual talents like them and need constant attention, especially away from home where they are touring for the first time and need to make adjustments. I don't think any individual batsman can help them there. Dravid had to do this job in England, and we saw how burdened he looked, his own form disappeared and finally he resigned. I would not like our players to be burdened like that.
Why can't he do that? When the team is on the field and bowlers are bowling isn't it his job to analyze the bowlers and look to see where they are making mistakes and what kind of field will be right for a certain bowler against a certain batsman? Doesn't if he was an average cricketer or not...just because you were a great player doesn't mean that you will automatically become a great coach.
He might be analysing bowlers, he may help them in technical issues but he'll say what field to set and how to trap a certain batsman? You must be joking! And then strategies have to be made for the entire match, batting bowling and fielding. I just don't think that Prasad is contributing there at all. Or else Dravid wouldn't have been so burdened in England in the absence of a coach!
Not really. I think it is captain's job. You can't simply isolate yourself off the field.
That is NOT captain's job and if you have read the views of various captains, they all want a coach because he takes the pressure off them, off the field. You think captain will look after his own batting/bowling, formulate the strategies on his own or at least consulting few seniors, then help the younger players out in the nets too, keeping an eye on the discipline, then also watching if players are behaving while on a function or not, then also checking that they don't go out during nights to pubs etc, then resting himself enough to recover for the next day and go out on field and handle everything----what do you think, a captain is a machine?
Nope! Don't agree. I don't think Gul and Asif are learning anything from Shoaib but Wasim and Waqar did learn from Imran. Then Jaffer and Karthik are not great individual talents like them and need constant attention' date=' especially away from home where they are touring for the first time and need to make adjustments. I don't think any individual batsman can help them there. Dravid had to do this job in England, and we saw how burdened he looked, his own form disappeared and finally he resigned. I would not like our players to be burdened like that.[/quote'] -That little dressing room brawl might be the reason why you think Gul/Asif aren't getting tips from Shoaib but that is not true. Gul and Shoaib in particular correlate quite a bit . -Don't think an international cricketer should ever need constant attention. A couple of little tips here and there should be enough to get you back on track and after that it is your responsibility to work on it. - Dravid's below par performance in ENG wasn't due to the fact that there was no coach. If you remember he had been in poor form even during the tour of SA where i don't think he even made 1 fifty in 6 innings
He might be analysing bowlers, he may help them in technical issues but he'll say what field to set and how to trap a certain batsman? You must be joking! And then strategies have to be made for the entire match, batting bowling and fielding. I just don't think that Prasad is contributing there at all. Or else Dravid wouldn't have been so burdened in England in the absence of a coach!.
All these things are related Chandan e.g today with the pitch playing some tricks Munaf Patel fell in to the trap of relying on the conditions instead of skill. He kept bowling 110 kph off breaks to Yousuf and after a while it all became very easy so this is where a bowling coach would look at such a performance and tell him that he should have focused on reverse swing and may be have a short mid wicket in place for a lofted on drive. Once again you seem to think that Dravid was burdened because there was no coach...you remember in 05 season the kind of poor form Ganguly was in? he had a coach with him to take all the so called burden off him yet for many months he struggled to middle the ball.
That is NOT captain's job and if you have read the views of various captains, they all want a coach because he takes the pressure off them, off the field. You think captain will look after his own batting/bowling, formulate the strategies on his own or at least consulting few seniors, then help the younger players out in the nets too, keeping an eye on the discipline, then also watching if players are behaving while on a function or not, then also checking that they don't go out during nights to pubs etc, then resting himself enough to recover for the next day and go out on field and handle everything----what do you think, a captain is a machine?
Each team has its needs. I know for a fact that a lot of the PAK players weren't too keen on having a coach, some of the AUS players have spoken against having a coach too. As i said in my earlier post that IND's team structure is similar to AUS and as of now both of these teams don't need a coach. Behaving on the function, going out to pubs and all these other trivial things can be looked after by the manager you don't need a coach for that. My idea of discipline is making sure my players are fit and giving me the output that i am looking for...all other things can be handled by the manager.

>>>Mentoring is part of any senior role in any field. A senior can help but that doesn't mean the youngster will take the advice.What can the senior do if the person doesn't want to listen? If you have a coach...the coach can see to it that the youngster does what is expected of him.The coach also gets to report the progress of youngsters to the bosses. Sometimes seniors advising can also result in bad blood if the youngsters are the kind who think they are already there...and we know we have plenty of "I am it" younsters.....

What I mean is, if a senior batsman is scoring good runs consistently, we cannot drop him because he has not helped a rookie opener correct his technique or hasnt helped a rookie middle order bat to play the pull shot etc. We can fire a coach however if he is warming the bench without genuinely putting effort to correct these things. If that intent and effort is not there we can take the coach to task. You however cant scold or drop a senior bat who is delivering consistently. You can drop the senior bat if he is not batting well himself, but thats another story.
well then that is being selfish. I know for a fact that Rahul Dravid has helped out Younis Khan on quite a few occasions so if the senior players are kind enough to help out players from other countries then surely they won't have a problem helping out their own.
>>>Mentoring is part of any senior role in any field. A senior can help but that doesn't mean the youngster will take the advice.What can the senior do if the person doesn't want to listen? If you have a coach...the coach can see to it that the youngster does what is expected of him.The coach also gets to report the progress of youngsters to the bosses. Sometimes seniors advising can also result in bad blood if the youngsters are the kind who think they are already there...and we know we have plenty of "I am it" younsters.....
don't think a clash of so many "leaders" can result in bad blood? e.g one hand you can have Prasad telling Munaf to focus on pace(which is his main strength) and swing then on the other hand you could have Kirsten telling him to focus on line and length. Wouldn't that confuse the bowler even more and possibly cause a bit of rift between the coaches?