Vengsarkar to attend selection meeting

DesiChap

Bad News New Delhi: It seems that for now there is a temporary truce between BCCI and Chairman of Selectors, Dilip Vengsarkar after the Board President Sharad Pawar intervened as the mediator on Tuesday. And hence, the chief selector has decided to attend the selection committee meeting tomorrow in Bangalore. The former India captain took his decision to attend the selection committee meeting late on Tuesday night, to select the national team for the third Test match against Pakistan as well as for the tour to Australia. "I have decided to attend the meeting in the interest of Indian cricket and after BCCI's softening of stand," said Vengsarkar. He further added, "I spoke to Mr. Pawar and we will meet on Dec 7th and 8th, where I will discuss all my concerns and issues with him. I am convinced that we can resolve all this amicably." Earlier, on the day, Pawar made all the right noises at a press conference here in the capital as he put the ball in the Colonel's court, although, sent out clear message that the job in hand has to be done first. "As of today, Mr Vengsarkar is the Chairman of the selection committee," clarified Pawar addressing a press conference on Tuesday afternoon. Clearly there had been some hectic negotiations made as the BCCI seemed to be in damage control mode. "It is the responsibility of the selectors to give the priority to their selection job - select a proper team and see how our boys perform in Australia," said Pawar. However, the Colonel kept his cards close to his chest as he said earlier on the day, "I will see for myself and speak on the issue after talking to the BCCI officials." But the Board made all the right noises, even about the biggest sticking point of them all - the issue of compensation. "The Board is meeting on 16th of this month and probably we will be able to take a final view on this and probably, I feel, we will be able to resolve this issue," assured Pawar. So, for the time-being the warring parties have called it peace. But there are still certain questions that remained unanswered, raised by Vengsarkar in an angry e-mail he sent to Sharad Pawar, where he wrote: I am appalled at the way the BCCI has treated its selectors. The recent gag order has not only humiliated us for doing selfless service to Indian cricket but also shown us in a very poor light. Another issue is that BCCI secretary, Mr Niranjan Shah even after finalising dates for selection of teams, changes them as per his whims and fancies. The recent fiasco of shifting the selection committee meeting from Kolkata to Bangalore on 5th December shows his high-handedness. I was aghast when Mr Shashank Monahar told me over the telephone yesterday that Mr Bindra is the man behind all these happenings against the selectors. I would be glad to continue as the Chairman of selection committee but only if the restrictions imposed on me are revoked unconditionally and I am compensated for agreeing to not to write the columns in the Newspapers. (With inputs from agencies) http://www.cricketnext.com/news/vengsarkar-to-attend-selection-meeting/28165-13-single.html