Vengsarkars Email Leaked

talksport

You've got mail Cricinfo staff December 3, 2007 India's chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar has sent an e-mail to BCCI president Sharad Pawar. The Kolkata-based Telegraph printed the letter verbatim in their pages spacer.gif317366.jpg?alt=2 'I would be glad to continue as the Chairman of selection committee but only if the restrictions imposed on me are revoked unconditionally' © AFP Sir, I am writing this letter with a heavy heart as I hold you in high esteem. However, the current situation vis-a-vis my position as the Chairman of selection committee has compelled me to write this letter to you. I am really appalled at the way the BCCI has treated its selectors of late. The recent gag order issued by the BCCI wherein a lot of restrictions on freedom of speech or even movement have been imposed on the selectors, which I feel is rather unfortunate. It has not only humiliated us for doing selfless service to Indian cricket but also shown us in a very poor light. Besides this one issue, there are several issues like only one selector should be present to watch international match or refraining selectors from interacting with the media, which I feel are quite absurd. Another issue is that the BCCI secretary, Mr Niranjan Shah even after finalising the dates for the selection of the teams, changes them as per his whims and fancies and convenience not bothering to even check with us. He has done this on several occasions and as a result I have to cancel many important commitments. The recent fiasco of shifting the selection committee meeting from Kolkata which was finalised two weeks in advance in consultation with other selectors, to Bangalore on 5th December shows his highhandedness in handling BCCI's important matters. He has done it several times in the past. This time, however, he said that the selectors must watch all the four days of the Ranji Trophy matches. Sir, let me put it on record that Mr Shah on several occasions have preponed/postponed meetings as he pleased. For example, we selected the team for the recently concluded India-Australia one-dayers even before the final match of the Challengers Trophy was played. He was also forcing us to select the captain of the ongoing Pakistan series at Mohali at 6pm as he had to catch the flight when the day/night match was half way through. We refused and Mr Shah left the ground in a huff and Mr Pandove had to convene the meeting later. There are several such occasions which I cannot mention here. Sir, as you know that we are doing an honorary job as selectors. Though the selectors all over the world are professionals, we in India have never asked for any monetary benefits as selectors. However, it is just not acceptable to me if the BCCI stops me from earning my livelihood. I have been writing on India's international matches for the last 15 years and I have continued to do so even after I had become a selector for one full year. Then why this sudden gag order? Despite promising you and your colleagues at the BCCI that I won't be writing on individual performances but I would be writing my overall view of the match, the BCCI has not only refused the permission but also refused the financial loss I would incur. Sir, during our recent meeting at Kolkata on 1st December I was taken aback when you mentioned that I do not give opportunity to other selectors to watch the international matches. On my return to Mumbai, I spoke to Sanjay Jagdale, Ranjib Biswal and Raju and they had categorically denied having ever said a word about it. In fact in our last selection committee meeting it was mutually decided that I would be watching the first two Test matches and it's on the BCCI's record. Sir, as you are aware that I have played in almost 250 international matches and as such I do not have to deprive anybody least of all my colleagues on selection panel to go and watch a Test or an ODI. Sir, I hope you are aware that I have watched a lot under-15, 17 & 19 matches with great passion and success even at the remote places in India as the Chairman of TRDOs for almost three years which nobody else has done so far. Since my retirement from Test cricket I have been successfully running cricket academies in Mumbai free of cost and my academies have produced cricketers like Yuvraj, Agarkar and Ramesh Powar besides many first class cricketers for Mumbai. I was aghast when Mr Shashank Manohar told me over the telephone yesterday that Mr Bindra is the man behind all these happenings against the selectors. I think Mr Bindra is not only a responsible official of the BCCI but also a former President of the BCCI. Sir, I would be glad to continue as the Chairman of selection committee but ONLY IF the restrictions imposed on me are revoked unconditionally and I am compensated for agreeing to not to write the columns in the Newspapers before I attend the next selection committee meeting at Bangalore 5th December. With Warm Regards

im sure the perks add upto more than any salary would lol
No they don't. They still have to earn money to get their houses run, get their kids the education and all. The perk, eg, travelling to England Australia and staying in 5 star hotel won't do either of the main job that any person has to do in his life. That is why I fully support the idea of three professional selectors who can continue as long as the board wants them to. Then they'll have everything in place--short-term vision, long-term vision, identification of future players, how and when to give them exposure so that they are completely ready when their time comes, leadership identification and succession and such thing. 5 zonal selectors who are certain to be selectors for just one year, can't do such long term planning, neither are they much accountable for their job. So everything carries on in a hotch-potch way!
I now know the root cause of all our problems .... bloody knajoos mentality ... sooo freakin un-professional .... Aaaaaaaaaaargggh :mad: :mad:
I'm sur[rised that you didn't know it as yet. Seems as if you didn't read my "Indian cricket: The Way Forward" article at all.

Cricketers first need to form their own association to do anything. In 2002=03 we had players reviving ICPA or Indian cricket Players' Association because they were pushing for central contracts at that time. But once the target was acheived, it died again. Until and unless all the present and former cricketers won't come under one umbrella, they won't be able to do anything against this businessmen and politicians in the BCCI. But I doubt if they'll have that unity and then BCCI is master at divide and rule policy.

Here is a nice article about coach selection How to poach a coach: BCC Ishtyle! Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2007 I have always believed that BCCI is so thick-skinned that an African rhinoceros will blush scarlet in it's presence. But one can underestimate it's impenetrable texture at one's own risk. Just as we were happily celebrating India's convincing defeat of Pakistan in the first Test at Feroze Shah Kotla, comes the sudden news that in a surreptitious midnight operation, former South African opener Gary Kirsten has almost secured that elusive post of India's national cricket coach. Considering Mr Kirsten was deftly smuggled in with planned subterfuge by the BCCI bigwigs even as Delhi's streets assumed a dark wintry complexion, it is just possible that illustrious members of the august body may have obtained paramilitary training in covert operations by CIA. Move out, Jason Bourne, it is now time for the Niranjan Shah Ultimatum. The way BCCI works will make even our own Mayawati's pugilistic juggernaut seem like a Harvard Business School alumni get-together. It seems the respected President, BCCI thought that the only way to somehow thrash ICL in the publicity stakes ( it is starting within the next few days) was to bring up that old-joke recycled with the usual suspenseful halo; which valiant character will now be thrust ahead as the new Indian coach? The President summarily decided that " India should have a coach within 10 days"(there is this pathological paranoia about Australia all around). Naturally, given the slavish mentality that persists within it's glittering corridors, the wise men congregated pronto and confabulated endlessly, before endorsing Kirsten's name. It seems it was such a claustrophobic hush-hush secret that the selection panel was told they were going for a private screening of a yet-to-be filmed movie being directed by Aamir Khan. Anyway, I am surprised they never thought of Abdul Qadir, John Snow or Alvin Kallicharan as suitable candidates either. Even Shah Rukh Khan for that matter, excepting that maybe his bushy ponytail was a bit of a hairy obstruction, perhaps. At least for the poker-faced man called some Shetty. But it is about time to raise some pertinent questions about the preposterous way in which the entire episode (scripted like a Pink Panther series) has been managed by BCCI. 1)Can BCCI tell us as to why NONE of the 20 applicants who responded to their advertisement was deemed fit to be EVEN called for an interview? 2)How can Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri recommend their "personal preference" violating procedure when Mr Gary Kirsten has technically disqualified himself by not submitting his application within prescribed time limits to begin with? Is this the transparency, accountability and honesty with which the BCCI takes the entire Indian cricketing machinery for a Disney roller-coaster ride? Autocratic, authoritarian and atrocious. That's BCCI for you. 3)Isn't it a strange coincidence that Mr Kirsten's first public confirmation of his interest in the new task should be leaked on a cricket website which is owned by the same blokes ESPN of which Gavaskar and Shastri are perennial crooners or commentators? Aren't vested interests at play already ; isn't there a conflict of interest fairly evident? 4)Like his famous failed foreign predecessor Greg Chappell, what exactly are Mr Kirsten's coaching credentials, if any, at all ? That a good cricketer does not necessarily make an equally sound coach has been effectively archived in a landmark case study by a grumpy Aussie with a bruised finger. 5)Hasn't India done remarkably well under the current three-tiered coach system comprising of Lalchand Rajput-Venkatesh Prasad -Robin Singh to not unnecessarily destabilize a successful combination? Has there been a single instance of malicious gossip and finger-wagging from either of the three coaches? Has anyone leaked their personal e-mails to intimate pals in the Fourth Estate? 6)So if Mr Kirsten does not finally reject the coveted offer (the possibility lurks suspiciously even as I write) what happens to Venky and Robin? Are they going to be disbanded forthwith into oblivion land? 7)Was it fair to create this mini-circus during the ongoing Pakistan series when coach Rajput still has an unfinished task ahead of him? The Kolkata Test begins on Friday. Why was the so-called selection process not done without proper planning? 8)Were Anil Kumble and the other senior palyers consulted or was the choice simply forced on them? 9)Isn't it strange that a country like India which dictates commercial terms and financial clout to ICC and also navigates the virtual future of the game worldwide , should go down on it's knees like genuflecting wimps and literally beg, cajole, and whimper pleading acceptance of their generous offer to Mr Kirsten? . Mr Kirsten's reply;" I have been invited to be the coach. I did not apply for it blah blah blah-----" reminds me of a certain man in desert land with a major I -Me-Myself attitude. Is this the respect the BCCI has for retired Indian cricketers, especially when so many of them have evinced interest in explicit terms from several public platforms ? 10)Should Kirsten accept the offer, is the BCCI giving enough time to Anil and his boys to get the chemistry going, create an atmosphere of open communication, establish ground rules , and get the coaching systems in place? Won't it be downright atrocious if Kirsten joins the Indian team half-way through the Aussie tour as he still has " contractual obligations" to fulfill ? Kirsten may have become the Midnight Cowboy hero overnight , but it will tough being in the saddle long if he gets self-obsessed with his own diabolical demons like some Gurus of the past. May not be a bad idea to get hold of The Dummy's Guide to How To Be A Coach.

1)Can BCCI tell us as to why NONE of the 20 applicants who responded to their advertisement was deemed fit to be EVEN called for an interview?
Who is this author who seems to be really stung that the news didn't come to him first or perhaps BCCI didn't consult him before they shortlisted the candidates to interview. Does this guy not know that Kepler Wessles was also interviewed?
Who is this author who seems to be really stung that the news didn't come to him first or perhaps BCCI didn't consult him before they shortlisted the candidates to interview. Does this guy not know that Kepler Wessles was also interviewed?
ok kepler wessels was interviewed.....so?? what about the others>>?? and why these 2 gits ( Gavaskar and Shastri) bringup some guy frm the wilderness for coach selection... they r jus exploiting their power without taking any responsibility
ok kepler wessels was interviewed.....so?? what about the others>>?? and why these 2 gits ( Gavaskar and Shastri) bringup some guy frm the wilderness for coach selection... they r jus exploiting their power without taking any responsibility
I don't think BCCI is obliged to tell the media who did interview and why, and likewise who did it NOT interview and why. Does any other board say so? Looks like people have become too used to the leaks and hence want to know each and everything. Gavaskar, Shastri and Venkat were the three former cricketers in the committee to find a coach for India. How they do so, they are not obliged to tell anyone. Does anyone know how and why CA zeroed in to Nielson after Buchanan and ECB to Moores after Fletcher? Ask some relevent questions for heavens' sake! One can ask and point fingers at board for why they unable to name a coach right after the WC when GC resigned. One can point to their lack of competence when they announced Ford's name without taking his consent and before he signed the contract. Who are we, or anyone for that matter,to ask why they chose Kirsten and why not some Indian or such things!

im not asking why they dint tell the media. and i dont care about the media.... the question is about their coach selection process.. get it?? when gavaskar can comeup with a guy called Embroidery... then u can understand his intention... if these guys dont have the best ineterst in Indian cricket then y they shud b allowed to pick coaches..?? what about the point 2 and 3 in tht article?? and for god's sake im not asking why they dint choose Indian coaches.... so its cuz these 2 r former players , u r ok with watever they do? Long live Indian cricket and their burecreacy!!!!

im not asking why they dint tell the media. and i dont care about the media.... the question is about their coach selection process.. get it?? when gavaskar can comeup with a guy called Embroidery... then u can understand his intention... if these guys dont have the best ineterst in Indian cricket then y they shud b allowed to pick coaches..?? what about the point 2 and 3 in tht article?? and for god's sake im not asking why they dint choose Indian coaches.... so its cuz these 2 r former players , u r ok with watever they do? Long live Indian cricket and their burecreacy!!!!
I'm not very clear what you're asking. So I'll tell you to cool down a bit to frame your questions. As for:
2)How can Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri recommend their "personal preference" violating procedure when Mr Gary Kirsten has technically disqualified himself by not submitting his application within prescribed time limits to begin with? Is this the transparency, accountability and honesty with which the BCCI takes the entire Indian cricketing machinery for a Disney roller-coaster ride? Autocratic, authoritarian and atrocious. That's BCCI for you.
What personal interest can they have in the coach, and what will they gain if Kirsten is appointed? If author (I still don't know who is he) is so sure that they stand to gain something by getting Kirsten appointed, can he mention them? Is it a possibily that out of those 20 applicants, they found only Wessels as a worthy candidate to be interviewed? And why does Mr Author want that each and every reason should be explained to him? CA, ECB---did any of the board go along explaining the process of how to elect the coach, where did they give the advertisement of the vacancy, who applied, how did they shortlist the candidates, who did they interview, and how did they come to the conclusion that Nielson and Moores were the right candidates? Does this mean that these boards are not transparent too? Or did the author want the whole show to go on NDTV 24x7? 3)Isn't it a strange coincidence that Mr Kirsten's first public confirmation of his interest in the new task should be leaked on a cricket website which is owned by the same blokes ESPN of which Gavaskar and Shastri are perennial crooners or commentators? Aren't vested interests at play already ; isn't there a conflict of interest fairly evident?