Between Ishant Sharma and VRV - who should play Test-3?

fineleg

I assume IKP will be one of the medium pacers selected in the 11 for Test-3. We cannot play 3 spinners I think - what if we have to bowl on day-1 and day-2? That will be tough with just one medium pacer and ganguly! We cannot take that risk or pak may score 650+ if they bat first. Who should it be among Ishant Sharma and VRV?

Oh ok ... well then in that case it should be Pathan and Munaf/Agarkar then since they are the ones in contention for the Australian tour. No point playing someone who is not in contention for the Aussie tour.
Ok, you've seen the squad now! Its between Ishant Sharma and VRV

Seems like many of you want Ishant Sharma What is the reason? Both are ineffective (IS and VRV) - is it just that we hate VRV more becos we were ticked off last many times he played and we are ok with trying a newer person? Is that the reason? If it is a bouncier pitch in Blore, then will VRV be better ( i dont think so, but i have heard ppl say VRV is good on "bouncier tracks")

At the domestic level, VRV seems to take bundles of wickets but also bleeds a lot of runs at the same time. From what I have seen of Ishant Sharma, he also seems to bowl like VRV and strays off line i.e legstump. Both are around 130 on average but can reach 135 and 140+ at times.

Ludhianvi, I agree. Both can be pacy at times, and wayward - in general, both are ineffective :-( for the most part. Dunno, this is a tough call, pick one of the ineffective ones, or maybe I should change my stance and say INDIA HAS TO PLAY THEIR BEST BOWLERS on-hand whatever the condition or days of batting. Which means IKP + HS + AK + Murali Kartik + (Ganguly, Tendulkar bowl) Not at all a great line up :-( but not many options for Test-3!

In an ideal world neither should have come close to being selected. It's embarrassing to see them bowl. I would have preferred, heaven forbid, Agarkar over these two guys. But since we have them I would go with VRV Singh for the sheer comical value he adds to the game with his sissy walk and knocking the stumps over on the wrong side of the pitch and the occasional ability to crank it up to 140 kmph.

In an ideal world neither should have come close to being selected. It's embarrassing to see them bowl. I would have preferred' date=' heaven forbid, Agarkar over these two guys. But since we have them I would go with VRV Singh for the sheer comical value he adds to the game with his sissy walk and knocking the stumps over on the wrong side of the pitch and the occasional ability to crank it up to 140 kmph.[/quote'] :haha:
In an ideal world neither should have come close to being selected. It's embarrassing to see them bowl. I would have preferred' date=' heaven forbid, Agarkar over these two guys. But since we have them I would go with VRV Singh for the sheer comical value he adds to the game with his sissy walk and knocking the stumps over on the wrong side of the pitch and the occasional ability to crank it up to 140 kmph.[/quote']:hysterical::hysterical:

any of you think these two have extremely similar styles of bowling. Not that their style is anything special, just had to use the word for the lack of a better term. They have to be simply the most boring bowlers I've seen recently. They have the same run-in - bowl on offstump at around 135kph - get hit kind of bowling-sense (or nonsense). They don't swing the ball at all which is a huge disadvantage. I would have to toss a coin to choose between them.