Tribute to Shahid Khan Afridi

Gollum

Who talks about SR in tests as a way of justifying selection :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: This is typical, well you know :cantstop: Yuvraj was one of the best ODI players ever. He wasn't a regular in tests and lost his ODI place once the form went. Not sure what your point was.
Err..talking about strike rate because I was proving the point that if he played more sensibly he would average higher. And pretty Ironic that a Sehwag fan is telling me this. He is considered a great by many because of the rate at which he scored his runs.
Misleading stats. he didn't have the technique to average 35+. bowling allrounder do not generally average more than 35 in the history of test cricket. that's precisely why we need large samples around 70- tests or more..there could be a lot of unreliable data up in smaller samples like 20- 50 tests. for example ponting had 4 years of golden form followed by average years later.hayden was failing in tests until 2001. larger samples takes care of all this different phases in player's career such correction didn't take place in his case as he is dropped too quickly when he is not effective in tests. ashwin too averaged close to 40's..not his real average....he is now down to 35 and that's where his real level is.
Afridi played his cricket over 12 years though. Plus he has about 5 test centuries. He is definitely no mug with the bat. Remember that 141 vs India at Chennai? He opened the batting in that one.
Afridi played his cricket over 12 years though. Plus he has about 5 test centuries. He is definitely no mug with the bat. .
the point is his test average is misleading ..technique is very crucial to how consistent you can be and that's precisely why players average the way they do over a period of time. all i am saying don't lead his misleading test average to think that he could be better. his FC average of 31 over 100+ matches is close to his true level. In internationals it would have been an achievement for afridi to average 30 over 60+ tests.Going by fc average he would end up around 26-30 if he played around 60 tests. in ODI he averages around 24 like many other bowling allrounders over 300+ matches ppl averaging 25 are no mugs with the bat...but that does not mean they are going to average 35 .few bowling allrounders in test cricket history do. he may be better than some one like prabhakar but not as good as say botham with the bat
Afridi played his cricket over 12 years though. Plus he has about 5 test centuries. He is definitely no mug with the bat. Remember that 141 vs India at Chennai? He opened the batting in that one.
I think his batting got better when he first started playing test in 1998 to 2000 but after that he just refused to improve and by early 2000s to 2015 i.e. 15 yrs he was playing street cricket hit or miss ....i doubt he would have survived in Bang or Zim team but Pakistan is special.

Yusuf Pathan is 50 times better than Afridi. His average would have been much better if he would have played more matches. Batting Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 ODIs 57 41 11 810 123* 27.00 113.60 2 3 T20Is 22 18 5 236 37* 18.15 146.58 0 0 Bowling averages Mat Inns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ ODIs 57 50 1365 33 3/49 3/49 41.36 5.49 T20Is 22 17 438 13 2/22 2/22 33.69 8.61

Yusuf Pathan is 50 times better than Afridi. His average would have been much better if he would have played more matches. Batting Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 ODIs 57 41 11 810 123* 27.00 113.60 2 3 T20Is 22 18 5 236 37* 18.15 146.58 0 0 Bowling averages Mat Inns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ ODIs 57 50 1365 33 3/49 3/49 41.36 5.49 T20Is 22 17 438 13 2/22 2/22 33.69 8.61
Not really. When it comes to Sachin, he is great because he could sustain those stats for over 400 matches. When it comes to Afridi, he is rubbish because anyone could have got those stats after playing 400 matches. Why the double standards? Plus, Afridi was the best ODI spin bowler between 2011-2012, something which Yusuf would have never achieved in his life.
Not really. When it comes to Sachin, he is great because he could sustain those stats for over 400 matches. When it comes to Afridi, he is rubbish because anyone could have got those stats after playing 400 matches. Why the double standards? Plus, Afridi was the best ODI spin bowler between 2011-2012, something which Yusuf would have never achieved in his life.
In 20 years of cricket career, he was good only during the year 2011-2012. :giggle:
In 20 years of cricket career' date=' he was good only during the year 2011-2012. :giggle:[/quote'] I said he was the best in that period. Otherwise he was good with the ball between 2007 and 2014, something which Yusuf can never match. Before 2007 he was more of a batsman.
Afridi's performance was best ever during that period, but he was still only a minnow basher even during that period. Between 2011-2012, Afridi averaged 66 against Aus, 66 vs England, 51 vs NZ and 33 vs WI. The only teams he performed well were against Bangla, SL and associates. :giggle:
Err..talking about strike rate because I was proving the point that if he played more sensibly he would average higher. And pretty Ironic that a Sehwag fan is telling me this. He is considered a great by many because of the rate at which he scored his runs.
That SR for Sehwag would mean ZERO without his average and exploits . It's the fact he could sustain many runs at that SR in tests that makes it great.