difference between an iPod and a run of the mill MP3 player

fineleg

pardon my faux pas! yes you can use the ipod as an external HDD as can you with the zune (the old ones in particular, the one that you mention here) but you need a hack for that. easily available on the net though. the zune 30GB is what i just bought for my mum, and though it looks a bit like a brick it is just as versatile (or rather limited) as the ipod. the zune store is also DRM protected so anything you buy on the zune store, you cannot run on anything other than the zune player. nonetheless, 30GB for 100 odd is a good deal though you wont find that deal anymore, the prices have been eeked up to 140 now.
Get your facts straight man...You dont need any hack to use the ipod as a hard drive. You can use any ipod(including nano) as a hard drive by just clicking "enable disk use" in itunes. Actually, I think it is already enabled by default..

Whats the best price ya'll have seen for iPod Nano? Amazon shows around $145 and holy baba's Buy.com around $140... has anyone gotten great deals for the nano?
You generally doont find any deals on ipods.. they sell like hot cakes anyways.. more than 100 million sold.. that means that they have to be good, if they can sell so much. Marketing and adverts and coolness factor, etc etc.. can take you only so far. You need to have substance to sell 100 million pieces.. As for deals on the nano.. i dont think you'll find any.. you can try buy.com with google checkout.. There was a deal on thanksgiving day.. on apple.com.. but thats about the only deal on ipods i have seen (except the student discount that was there earlier)

And as for the advantages of an ipod over other players. This is my own judgement.. I had a 20 gig 4th generation earlier, (like the classic).. my roomate has a nano, another roomate has a compaq ipaq.. and my best friend has an iriver.. so those are the ones i am associated with.. Now, for videos, I'd say the iphone is the best, followed by ipod classic. The nano has a small screen, and although you can watch videos, it isnt gonna be as much fun as watching it on an iphone or a ipod touch. I was not impressed by the fps on the iriver.. Interface, design, music management, etc.. Apple stands out here.. itunes is very good, and maybe because im more used to it, etc, but it is very very easy to use. I had this sony NWE005 mp3 player, and the program which came with the sony player was pathetic.. and very very irritating. Infact, I was so irritated that I gave the player away to my cousin, who wanted to get a player anyways.. That was when i realised how easy itunes is.. i'd heard people talk about it.. but always that that it wasnt such a big deal.. well it is. For me, the best mp3 player would again be the iphone.. because of the functions, and features.. like the volume keys on the side of the phone, the play/pause on the headphones, the integration of phone into ipod.. its really good. A second would be the nano(if you thing 4/8 gb is enough..) its very small, and very light. Quite thin too, at the same time, study. has a good clear screen.. Actually even the sony NW-E005 that I had was not bad! The only problem was that it was a pain.. to put songs on it.. it had led lighting, and was very small, and compact. Audio quality.. well.. doesnt really matter to me. All of them are good enough for my ears.. My songs are never at a higher bitrate than 320, and for that, all of them pretty much sound the same. The defining factor here would be your headphones.. and i hear the zune has really good ones... size/weight.. The sony NW-E005 would be first here, followed by the nano.. hope this helps..

Get your facts straight man...You dont need any hack to use the ipod as a hard drive. You can use any ipod(including nano) as a hard drive by just clicking "enable disk use" in itunes. Actually' date=' I think it is already enabled by default..[/quote'] douche bag thats what i said... you can use the ipod as an external hdd, its the zune that you cannot right out of the box; but can after a hack.

Whats the best price ya'll have seen for iPod Nano? Amazon shows around $145 and holy baba's Buy.com around $140... has anyone gotten great deals for the nano?
4GB one?
Apo, Yes the 4GB one. But, from what I read above, it seems hot deals dont really happen on iPod because it is a "hot commodity". Raises an interesting question: Are iPod thefts common? Do iPod users have to be wary of this "hot" thing being stolen? I think that can be expected.

well not because of hot commodity.. infact.. apple, the company never brings any deal on their products.. u take black friday.. u will find deal on every electronic stuff but Apple..
actually, they had a deal on most of their products this thanksgiving.. on apple.com.. I think they were giving 30 bucks off classic, 11 off nano, or something like that..

Raises an interesting question: Are iPod thefts common? Do iPod users have to be wary of this "hot" thing being stolen? I think that can be expected.
If you buy it from apple.com, then you can get your name, etc laser engraved on the back of the ipod for free.. Thefts can happen with all electronics, not only ipods..

Sheesh!!! Should have expected someone to pounce on it :D Just that in that time interval I was talking to apo and holy - but I wanted to thank everyone who had chipped in with comments as well. And that includes you GKD - Danke! You always have a special place in my heart :P

Sheesh!!! Should have expected someone to pounce on it :D Just that in that time interval I was talking to apo and holy - but I wanted to thank everyone who had chipped in with comments as well.
Someone? WTF :hysterical:
You always have a special place in my heart :P
Not special place yaar. I take lot of space so I need the whole heart :D Do you have a girlfriend? If yes then I can always make some place for her in my heart :haha:

Question: I was talking to a fairly new user of iPod. He had a difficulty. He can upload songs from his CD to iTunes, and then get them to his iPod. That works fine. But can you take a mp3 song (desi song that he downloaded from some desi website), and get it on your iPod...iTunes software said can't do becos registration required or some such weird error (i dunno the details...will try to find out more later and post). Does this ring a bell as a known issue or some simple step(s) missing?