Was this out or a legit shout?

Rajiv

Are you trying to say that the ball was not going on to hit the stump? Or are you trying to say that he was struck outside the line. If he is struck in line' date=' and the ball is going on to hit the stump, he's out. Simple, really. Could you explain why you think that it isnt out?[/quote'] HS and others, see that is where the difference is- you want to literally go by the book while i consider those rules as mere guidelines. Instead of going by the book i look at if the bowler has been able to "defeat" the batsman or not so it is very important to see when the ball impacted the pad- so for me a batsman caught on the crease is totally different from a batsman with a decent stride forward (even though in both cases the ball might be hitting the stumps).
HS and others, see that is where the difference is- you want to literally go by the book while i consider those rules as mere guidelines. Instead of going by the book i look at if the bowler has been able to "defeat" the batsman or not so it is very important to see when the ball impacted the pad- so for me a batsman caught on the crease is totally different from a batsman with a decent stride forward (even though in both cases the ball might be hitting the stumps).
Okay.. so if the batsman is completely defeated, foxed, etc, but the ball is missing off?
HS and others, see that is where the difference is- you want to literally go by the book while i consider those rules as mere guidelines. Instead of going by the book i look at if the bowler has been able to "defeat" the batsman or not so it is very important to see when the ball impacted the pad- so for me a batsman caught on the crease is totally different from a batsman with a decent stride forward (even though in both cases the ball might be hitting the stumps).
The problem with allowing this subjective interpretation is then that it allows the umpires bias to heavily influence the game. Would you be comfortable allowing Hair to use such subjective criterion in Pak matches? The only way to ensure unbiased execution is to make the rules very mechanical.
Okay.. so if the batsman is completely defeated' date=' foxed, etc, but the ball is missing off?[/quote'] if the batsman is "foxed" and caught on the crease but the replay shows the ball missing the off the stump by an inch then that's still ok for mine. I wouldn't be too bothered to be given out if i was the batsman. So going by my personal interpretation i would have to agree with Rudi on his decision.
The problem with allowing this subjective interpretation is then that it allows the umpires bias to heavily influence the game. Would you be comfortable allowing Hair to use such subjective criterion in Pak matches? The only way to ensure unbiased execution is to make the rules very mechanical.
Consistency is certainly very important and for the most part this current crew of umpires are fairly consistent.
not out...rightly not given by the umpire.
huh ? Not out ? Thats one of the plumbest ever, hitting middle, 2 inches from the bottom. And Moron Lal's commentary goes like this.. " That is close"... * umpire gives not out*...." No , it isnt"... So folks, if an umpire gives ANY decision not out, it means it isnt close ! :haha:
huh ? Not out ? Thats one of the plumbest ever, hitting middle, 2 inches from the bottom. And Moron Lal's commentary goes like this.. " That is close"... * umpire gives not out*...." No , it isnt"... So folks, if an umpire gives ANY decision not out, it means it isnt close ! :haha:
not out if not pitches in line:wall:
Just so you dont waste your time with poori, again. Poori_meri is Ijlal aka manali aka his 100 other ids. The guy's enthusiasm to post here is phenomenal. He keeps creating new ids like a robot. Lets see how long he lasts this time:D
Just so you dont waste your time with poori' date=' again. Poori_meri is Ijlal aka manali aka his 100 other ids. The guy's enthusiasm to post here is phenomenal. He keeps creating new ids like a robot. Lets see how long he lasts this time:D[/quote'] I had my doubt... you have just confirmed them... He must love ICF to bits !