Rohit Sharma Appreciation Squad

nicely written SJS50, I have a feeling this innings should make a huge difference to his confidence & could well be the turning point of his career even though it was in T20 . He will be a different player once assured of his spot in the playing 11 which has not been the case uptill now.

great read SJS Agree Sharma is a talent that needs to be persisted with but where do you draw the line and say lets move on ? but he needs to stop following Justin timber lake on twitter before i become a fan of his
why? iam assuming its a joke... the irony is that justin timberlake is a workaholic and works a lot harder on fitness than sharma. that guy has 0% body fat.:winky:
great read SJS Agree Sharma is a talent that needs to be persisted with but where do you draw the line and say lets move on ? but he needs to stop following Justin timber lake on twitter before i become a fan of his
Well he is just 23. People are so enthusiastic about Badrinath and he is going to be 30 this August !! Lets be fair to the young chap for he IS young. Althoiugh frankly, he has to make the cut in the next a couple of years or we may have to give up on him. Its just that we may not be able to afford to !! India have a big problem coming up whether some of us are willing to admit it or not. The replacements for the "fab four" (dont like that term frankly) are not forthcoming and they made their Test debut a hell of a long time ago - Sachin 1989, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly 1996. In 14 years we haven't found a single replacement. We are lucky Sachin and Dravid have found second wind. Ganguly is gone, SRT and Dravid are 37 and Laxman just a year younger. The situation IS getting desperate. I read in another thread that replacements wil come eventually. Yes they will for surely we will make an eleven but good enough replacements should have appeared by now. This is a bad sign. We are at a stage where we cant AFFORD for SRT and Dravid to retire just yet. We should get a couple of really good Test players at least in a decade. We are struggling. Look at how many have fallen by the wayside since 1996. Here is a list of young Indian midle order batsmen since then.
[B]Player   	Inns	100s	Runs	Avg	Debut	Age today[/B]

Yuvraj        	50	3	1582	35.95	2003	28
Kaif           	22	1	624	32.84	2000	29
Badani       	7	0	94	15.67	2001	33
Kanitkar	4	0	74	18.50	1999	33
Badri          	3	0	63	21.00	2010	30

That list amazes me. The very fact that we have just 5 middle order batsmen tried in the last 14 years is astonishing. It is too short to start with. We have tried that many wicket keepers alone. This also has nothing to do with the fact that the middle order is so solid. After all we have played players like Yuvraj and Kaif for a long enough period. Yuvraj's fifty Tests is not few by any standards. Yet this "potentially great" has touched nothing like the heights India needs. By the way, Yuvraj is already 28 and we haven't yet given up on him or have we ? For the sake of Indian cricket lets hope someone, Rohit or someone else turns up soon enough. By the way the best middle order batsman we got during this period switched roles and became an opener and one of our finest ever in that role. Maybe we should let someone like Murali switch roles too. Gambhir (who will be 29 this year) and Sehwag may still go on for some more time. We might as well break in Murali Vijay in the middle order now. At least it improves/increases our options.

Please calrify evidence of laziness and bad attitude? i.e missed traing sessions etc. Or are you just doing internet judegemnets based on nothing at all or as many seem to do which is mistake his languid relaxed batting style as bad attitude. The labels people throw on players like lazy and bad attitude based on nothing at all is remarkable. He is just turned 23 and people call him not consistent, lazy , bad attitude balah blah. He is sensational talent. The most talented bat in world cricket and will deliver BIG TIME IN TESTS!!!! Don't look at cricinfo stats(although if you did you can see he does do well as well) or nternet theories on his personality which have no factual evidence whatsoever. USE THE CRICKET EYE. This guy bats with unbeliavable time at the crease, wonderful technique and all the shots in the book with power and style. He is just 23 and will get BETTER AND BETTER. Mark my words this guy is gonna be a legend!!!
Many people are upset with him mainly because of his general fitness level and all.He could have played SA series in the absence of Dravid.Then he got injured,whose fault is that?

SJS50 The fact that we have tried so little options and not too many is actually heartning not distressing. Its a testament to how great the fab four have been. Who ever the replacement should be shouldhave done well in the ODI or in FIrst class upto or near the the levels these guys have performed. As far as Badri is concerned i feel its too early to give up on him yes he is old. but his first class record is good and he has what 3 innings so far ? too early to tell. my worry is that he will wil just say screw it let me play terrible dilscoops and earn my keep in the IPL. As far as Murali Vijay is concerned i think i distinctly remember reading an interview of W.V Raman asking Vijay not to go in the middle order don't really know how well he will do either at the top or middle but i have high hopes from him. should be replacing dravid at 3 but let him show his mettle at ODI's and whatever test chances comes his way Another guy scoring tons of runs in the first class level and imho making a fairly decent cal lto be back at the side is another discard jaffer but then he is way too old at 32. Whatever happens i think The indian test team is in major pain and the selectors will have no choice but to persist and not chop change with a few individuals. :((

SJS50 The fact that we have tried so little options and not too many is actually heartning not distressing. Its a testament to how great the fab four have been.
As far as Badri is concerned i feel its too early to give up on him yes he is old. but his first class record is good and he has what 3 innings so far ? too early to tell. my worry is that he will wil just say screw it let me play terrible dilscoops and earn my keep in the IPL.
As far as Murali Vijay is concerned i think i distinctly remember reading an interview of W.V Raman asking Vijay not to go in the middle order don't really know how well he will do either at the top or middle but i have high hopes from him. should be replacing dravid at 3 but let him show his mettle at ODI's and whatever test chances comes his way
Another guy scoring tons of runs in the first class level and imho making a fairly decent cal lto be back at the side is another discard jaffer but then he is way too old at 32.
options in the mid-order : Thats true but these five have altogether played in 86 Test matches ! Thats a hell of a big number with no great result to show for it. Thats the point. I agree the four have been fabulous but time is running out. Its just because of their longevity that the backbone of the side hasn't broken completely. Badrinath : I did not name Badri (or point out his age) to suggest we shud give up on him but to put the talk of giving up on 23 year old Rohit in proper context. Going down the order for Murali : There is no reason for Murali to fail down the order given the way he bats. The reverse is more often true particularly in Test matches. I think Raman is asking him to stick to the opening slot because he is looking at the limited overs game. He probably thinks, Murali's chance is better in ODI's (and their is money to be made in IPL) and in the shorter formats, the opener has a distinct advantage (unless he is incompetent against fast stuff a la Yuvraj Singh). But I am only talking of Test cricket in this entire debate. Jaffer : Yes I too thought of Jaffer as i was writing that last post. One feels sad for him. He has two major issues. One he is completely lack-lustre (glamour-quoteint wise) which means the media discards him as quickly as they possibly can. They did the same with Laxman for years. Secondly, I suspect he, inspite of his demeanour and considered/straight bat approach to batting, is not steely enough. He appears to be satisfied with what comes his way and has never given the impression of being a fighter. It shows while he is at the crease. One gets the impression (and I may be completely off here) that he does not put a very great price on his wicket. Not that he plays atrocious strokes but he is a bit casual and I have never seen him distraught at getting out. It stands out.
wow really astute comment there !! kohli was unlucky his ODI record so far is miles ahead of Sharma's !
And your point? Kohli >>> Rohit? Well if thats the case then we might as well pick Badrinath, Pandey and the whole other lot. Im sure they have more talent.
And your point? Kohli >>> Rohit? Well if thats the case then we might as well pick Badrinath, Pandey and the whole other lot. Im sure they have more talent.
then kohli ? maybe but kohli is far more consistent and probably has the best returns in translating his promise to scores in the international level compared to all the others ( pandey hasn't got a chance yet ) specially rohit sharma my point is you don't have to rubbish kohli to enjoy sharma's ton,