Rohit Sharma Appreciation Squad

Guest Hiten.
2 tons in a row and people are waffling about his fitness. God help us To me his slight chubbiness looks no different from Tendulkar, G Smith, Trescothick, Sehwag and many many more. No one waffles on about them rightly so as they are great batters just like Sharma will be!
Tell me how old are Tendulkar, SMith, Veeru, Tresco ?
Tell me how old are Tendulkar' date=' SMith, Veeru, Tresco ?[/quote'] Get the videos out and look at them when they were 23. They were all a bit chubby with puppy fat, no big deal. He is a batsman not a super model. He just scored 2 tons in a row. Have to have fitness to do that. The attempts to criticise him seem ridiculous now and are bordering on silly. He does not even look that over wieght to me. The ability he has with bat is something to behold. To get some one his class cannot be taught. To lose a few pounds can be done by anyone!
Let's not get too exited...Rohit became Nohit for a reason' date='30 or more failed innings before this. He looked good but he has always looked good.When he comes good against the bigger teams, we will talk.[/quote'] well true but atleast you can say he has earned his extended run now having scored two centuries
well true but atleast you can say he has earned his extended run now having scored two centuries
Yes he did and hopefully he will do good in the future. For the sake of India's future, so will Kholi and Vijay. All 3 have the strokes to do well in all 3 formats of the game and we need replacement for Sachin,Dravid and Laxman soon.
hmm.i don't think ANY indian fan will disagree about Rohit's talent.Its his willingness to work hard ' date='his noticeable lack of fitness and his temperment which most call into question.talent is not enough to succeed in International cricket .like i said i will wait for the anointing.[/quote'] once you reached the FC level, there is less chance of talented people dropping out because you are so near the pinnacle. ppl desperately figure out a way to come good, having worked hard to come so far many cases of failure or people dropping out are earlier. the fact is there are not too many with talent that have failed once at that level.i can only recall kambli or questionably yuvraj in recent decades.
Let's not get too exited...Rohit became Nohit for a reason' date='30 or more failed innings before this. He looked good but he has always looked good.When he comes good against the bigger teams, we will talk.[/quote'] this is a load of nonsense. A player's career as well as development does involve slumps.there is nothing wrong in it. he won't be the first and he wont be the last. he was all along progressing pretty well. he has a lot of time while batting- the sign of the best batsmen and there is already enough evidence of his class vs the better bowlers. he has already played a few telling knocks vs the "bigger teams". for example the knock vs SA at durban and vs australia at sydney and kensington oval were some of the best knocks i have seen from a young indian batsmen, your comments are of relevance whatsoever. you keep your "waiting" to yourself. it will be waste of time and nothing else :)
this is a load of nonsense. A player's career as well as development does involve slumps.there is nothing wrong in it. he won't be the first and he wont be the last. he was all along progressing pretty well. he has a lot of time while batting- the sign of the best batsmen and there is already enough evidence of his class vs the better bowlers. he has already played a few telling knocks vs the "bigger teams". for example the knock vs SA at durban and vs australia at sydney and kensington oval were some of the best knocks i have seen from a young indian batsmen, your comments are of relevance whatsoever. you keep your "waiting" to yourself. it will be waste of time and nothing else :)
no one is denying rohit should glimpses of greatness but for quite a while they remained just that glimpses. now they are turning out to be more than just glimpses but yes even i will reserve judgement until he can do this consistently against better teams/attacks but he should be persisted with

There is absolutely no doubt about Rohit's class. Unfortunately his inconsistency has belied his obvious talent and this too can't be denied. But one would any day have a youngster with real class who is inconsistent and hope he will mature and show better results than have a person like Yusuf Pathan who besides being in a different class (not meant as a compliment) is as if not more inconsistent for inconsistency is a feature built into his game. Those who acclaimed Rohit's class were not to be denounced because he did not show results to match them. It can and does happen. We have to pray to get a larger number of youngsters coming up with such precocious talent and hope that a large number of them will make the best of use of their gifts. But some will go the other way as Rohit still may (one hopes for Indian cricket he does not) but that is a hurdle to be crossed in any case with all youngsters. That does not mean real talent is not to be recognised and given a chance to flower for real talent is so much rarer. PS : Although I have been an admirer of Rohit Sharma's talent I think we should avoid using words like great or greatness for him, his batting or even a couple of innings. It is such hype that builds up expectations beyond even talented youngster'a ability to live upto and then we are again ready to denounce them when they show that they were mortal all the time. That fault is not theirs.

There is absolutely no doubt about Rohit's class. Unfortunately his inconsistency has belied his obvious talent and this too can't be denied. .
my point is what's so unexpected about that ? i really want to know in which sports do youngsters rise like a phoenix to become consistent established players in no time at all ? it happens in LALA land. from the time i started watching sports, rohit's progress is nothing different ,from what i have seen from past players. youngsters have incomplete games and have a lot of learning to do in various aspects. ofcourse its ridiculous and ILLOGICAL to expect immature people to perform. they are learning their trade at the highest level. that's how they ideally shud be seen.

yuvraj after 2 years, ave 28.51 after 55 matches. dravid -27 after 20 matches,34 after 51 matches. tendulkar -28 after 26 matches,33.17 after 47 matches rohit -31.93 after 44 matches. if anything one can see , yuvraj is the worst at 55 matches.but he has around 37 now.

yuvraj after 2 years, ave 28.51 after 55 matches. dravid -27 after 20 matches,34 after 51 matches. tendulkar -28 after 26 matches,33.17 after 47 matches rohit -31.93 after 44 matches. if anything one can see , yuvraj is the worst at 55 matches.but he has around 37 now.
In terms of match winning ability Yuvraj is streets ahead of Rohit. He did it against top teams winning 3 man of the series in a row. Rohit is yet to show such consistency. This is probably a start. Two weak bowling units.

I recall Ian chappel saying in the first odi that India should have played Rohit Sharma in the AUS 08 series at home after he had scored a 100 against almost the same bowling unit. Opportunity missed. I just hope we can select him and give him a run when we play SL in SL and NZ at home.

Guest OriginalPrince

looks better with the short ball than most indian batsman so that;s a plus. but will still struggle against the moving ball with that lazy foot work of his.

Guest OriginalPrince
Like Mark Waugh' date=' Laxman or Martyn.[/quote'] they all had better footwork than this guy. and also played the short ball better.