Modern Day Slavery

Rajiv

Shocked and completely surprised that they could do such a thing It was back in 1988, where I remember sipping coca-cola in this lavish house in Mutton Town, Long Island My uncle was a member of LISA ( Long Island Sindhi Association ) and weekend parties were compulsory I couldn't believe what I read and saw in the news about the Sabnanis Almost, 19 years passed by and I see the couple being arrested, I remember the guys face when we left the house after the party ( I remember him saying, let me move the car ) I cannot fathom the fact that these people could do this LINK

Guest dada_rocks

at the same time I have seen otherwise sane educated people treating their child domestic help like crap so anything is possible.........

Truly shocking. The domestic helps were apparently forced to work for 18 hours a day, punished with having to take cold showers in the morning if they were caught stealing food from the trash and worse, even had their ear-lobes slit with knives. How could any sane human indulge in such things ? Also, it just freaks me out to even think that many such daughter-in-laws in India are subjected to such inhumane treatment.

Ugly as sin New York couple charged with slavery http://inmytaxi.blogspot.com/2007/05/ugly-as-sin-new-york-couple-charged.html No, not the sex kind of slavery: real life keep people as slaves slavery. Which is, as you know, illegal under the 13th amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The ugly Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani and his simply grotesque wife, Varsha Mahender Sabhnani (maybe she just photographs very badly) imported two women from Indonesia, who seem to have emigrated from their homeland voluntarily under the promise of pay in the amount of $200 per month. Such a deal would of course be illegal in any case, but it appears the Sabhnani's reneged on the payments. uglyman.jpgAlleged slave owner Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani appears to be as ugly as the crime he's been arrested for committing. uglywoman.jpgI wonder if the slave owning women of the antebellum South were as ugly as accused slaver Varsha Mahender Sabhnani? The Sabhnani's allegedly confiscated the women's passports after they arrived in the United States, preventing their escape. Prosecutors say the Sabhnani's abused the two women by throwing scalding water on their backs, forcing them to eat dozens of hot peppers, walking up and down stairs repeatedly, and God knows what else. The women's condition came to the authorities attention when one escaped the alleged slave compound the Sabhnani's passed off as a normal home, dressed only in pants and a towel. It's too bad American law prohibits putting the Sabnani's into slavery under the jurisdiction of their victims. For now, prison will have to do. Oh, and a little thing called a lawsuit, which should prove quite lucrative for the former slaves, at the Sabnani's expense. See, the Sabhnani's are wealthy and could easily have afforded to pay the women a legal wage. Boy that's gonna piss some jury off, but good. If the Sabhnani's have any children, I wouldn't count on any inheritance. You ain't getting squat, kids. And those of you thinking about putting up money for bail should think twice if they don't want to lose it all. The Sabhnani's are likely to have their assets frozen, and if they skip, you lose the money for good.

disgusting stuff ... saw some of the poor indonesian workers in the news..they seem to have undergone a lot of torture. i hope the sabnanis get a harsh punishment. we have so many cases of rich south mumbai marwari families treating their housemaids worse than street dogs.. but they never get implicated cos justice is a commodity (esp in the lower courts).

Guest dada_rocks

shakal se kamini lagti hai baap.. mind u allegedly guy didn't do all this his wife did.. women are capable of $hittist things when it comes to treating their domestic help.. sorry gals but that's how it's u will see in Delhi kaamwali bais usually are more than happy to work in bachelor male homes since noone bothers them ye kiya ye nahin kiya but they dread bachelor female homes. I have seen it first hand how my female colleagues used to be so demanding all the time complaining although complaints were genuine but we never complained in fact my kaamwali baai used to chide us whenever she felt like.. and we used to take her crap silently even her calling name for us maai so obviously maai can say whatveer she wanted.. bengali thi kya dantati thi yaar.. ak baar mera bhai aaya usko harka rahi thi mera beti aaj kama karane aayega usko apni bahan ke maafiq manane ka hai apni bahan samajha. ......... shaam mein aaye to bataya ki bhai ye to dant ke chali gai hamko ,ham log baad mein uski tang khinchate the ki tumhe hi kyun boli ....:giggle: