Dada's views concur with vengsarkar's

Laaloo

I was reading this interview of Sourav on cricinfo.. and the most surprising comment of dada was his comment about upcoming talent.. it's quite surprising how his views concur with that of Dilip vengsarkar.. Remeber Vengsarkar made the comment when he became chairman of selectors that there is no new upcoming talent .. Ganguly has said the same thing.. interesting how Ganguly says something that may be demoralizing for some of the fringe players.. What is preventing India, with its large talent pool and vast resources, from becoming a dominant force in world cricket? I think we have become more dominant over time. Playing at home we've always been very good. But our performance overseas in the last five-seven years has changed. I was reading recently, probably on your website, that India has won more matches overseas than any team other than Australia, in recent times. That's a pretty good sign. But we need some quality players. We've had a crop of players - Tendulkar, Dravid, myself, Laxman, Anil, in the 34-35 years bracket - who have been outstanding for Indian cricket. We need some consistent talent coming through. To be honest, I've not seen anything special, except for Yuvraj and Sehwag in the batting, and Harbhajan, Sreesanth and RP. Zaheer is a seasoned campaigner, so I'm not including him in this bracket. We need some more quality players coming through, especially in terms of batting. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/327091.html wat the hell hes saying u need more batsmen??? wat abt badrinath parthiv patel manoj tiwari

I was reading this interview of Sourav on cricinfo.. and the most surprising comment of dada was his comment about upcoming talent.. it's quite surprising how his views concur with that of Dilip vengsarkar.. Remeber Vengsarkar made the comment when he became chairman of selectors that there is no new upcoming talent .. Ganguly has said the same thing.. interesting how Ganguly says something that may be demoralizing for some of the fringe players.. What is preventing India, with its large talent pool and vast resources, from becoming a dominant force in world cricket? I think we have become more dominant over time. Playing at home we've always been very good. But our performance overseas in the last five-seven years has changed. I was reading recently, probably on your website, that India has won more matches overseas than any team other than Australia, in recent times. That's a pretty good sign. But we need some quality players. We've had a crop of players - Tendulkar, Dravid, myself, Laxman, Anil, in the 34-35 years bracket - who have been outstanding for Indian cricket. We need some consistent talent coming through. To be honest, I've not seen anything special, except for Yuvraj and Sehwag in the batting, and Harbhajan, Sreesanth and RP. Zaheer is a seasoned campaigner, so I'm not including him in this bracket. We need some more quality players coming through, especially in terms of batting. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/327091.html wat the hell hes saying u need more batsmen??? wat abt badrinath parthiv patel manoj tiwari
he probably means the ones who have played international cricket... for even in the past we have found out that players can score bucketful in Domestic, have failed miserably at the international level. There were bunch of players tried and failed to impress SS Das, Dinesh Gandhi, parthiv patel (as a wikie) etc etc...

Apart from Gautam Gambhir, Parthiv Patel, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina Robin uthappa who have proved that they can bat at international level, we do have Manoj Tiwari Badrinath Chateshwar Pujara and at least 2 Mumbai batsmen from their impressive new young batsmen. the Batting scene is not so bad. But the bowling looks a bit weak, especially quality spinners.

Apart from Gautam Gambhir, Parthiv Patel, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina Robin uthappa who have proved that they can bat at international level, we do have Manoj Tiwari Badrinath Chateshwar Pujara and at least 2 Mumbai batsmen from their impressive new young batsmen. the Batting scene is not so bad. But the bowling looks a bit weak, especially quality spinners.
i am guessing here but i think he meant tests...and apart from Parthiv Patel & GG we have seen none of the above in the test arena and they have not lit the scene either. so its too soon to tell

I cant say anything about the "fast" bowlers,at least the medium pace cup board is not bare. Munaf Patel is an enigma but VRV Singh Pankaj Singh Ishant Ranadeb Bose Thakur-himachal pradesh Sangwan- Delhi-first season have been doing well and have been consistent in the demanding, back breaking pitches in domestic circuit. There is no one other than Piyush Chawla and Powar among the spinners, with a performance that would make the selectors sit up and take note of.

I cant say anything about the "fast" bowlers,at least the medium pace cup board is not bare. Munaf Patel is an enigma but VRV Singh Pankaj Singh Ishant Ranadeb Bose Thakur-himachal pradesh Sangwan- Delhi-first season have been doing well and have been consistent in the demanding, back breaking pitches in domestic circuit. There is no one other than Piyush Chawla and Powar among the spinners, with a performance that would make the selectors sit up and take note of.
VRV (who looks like trundler), munaf as u mentioned is an enigma and Ishant (who will play his 3rd match if selected) other than these have hardly played or not played at all. They can be good or even excellent at domestic cricket but international cricket is alltogether different. Currently SS, RPS and ZK (in pace) with PC and RP (in spin - to some extent) are the only recognized bowlers we have for the future. Who knows what Ishant and Pankaj might turn out to be... in batting, we only have UV and Sehwag.. Parthiv patel might become a decent bat (please please BCCI don't give WK's gloves to him) we need to try some other youngsters especially Rohit Sharma , Suresh Raina in the batting department

VRV bowls at 140k+.Please recall his performances whenever given a chance.he may lack variety but bowled at a lively pace in S.A on helpful wickets and generated good bounce.he should be part of the touring team to gain more experience and to pick up valuable guidance from the seniors.Sreesanth picked up on pace as well as variations and became a much better bowler after he started training with the team on a regular basis.his stints with MRF obviously helped.

I don't know how Amit Mishra can be given a chance when Piyush Chawla is above him in the Pecking order !
Piyush Chawla has the upside of potential but as of today if you compare their bowling, I find Mishra to be more effective. He has matured into a very good spinner and ideally should play ahead of Chawla till Chawla can work on his game in domestics for a few more seasons. But of course, our selectors desire to churn out Tendulkars means that Mishra's international career is already over.
Guest dada_rocks

I concur.. spin-bowling is as much about talent as about experience... What it takes to get wickets with arsenal you have got comes with slogging in field for years..