Kumble - 5 on day 1, Murali 4 in two tests

Rajiv

He became the fourth bowler in the world to claim five wickets in an innings on ten or more occasions against Australia. The other three are Richard Hadlee {14 occasions}, SF Barnes {12 occasions} and T Richardson {11 occasions}. He is the first spinner in the world to achieve the feat against Australia"

nil Kumble with five wickets in this innings has taken five or more wickets in an innings on ten occasions against Australia. He became the fourth bowler in the world to claim five wickets in an innings on ten or more occasions against Australia. The other three are Richard Hadlee {14 occasions}' date=' SF Barnes {12 occasions} and T Richardson {11 occasions}. [b']He is the first spinner in the world to achieve the feat against Australia"
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

Murali was unable to raise his game for such a challenge. He's an outstanding bowler in conditions that suit him. Give him batsmen less certain against spin, or tracks designed to take spin and he can be lethal. Even his better overseas performances have come on real turners - Trent Bridge 06, the Oval 98, etc. Kumble has expanded his repertoire brilliantly and adapted to the batsmen. He knew they would try playing him as a 'medium pace inswing bowler' initially, and hit them with big wrong uns, bouncy leg breaks and top spinners and far more than just his straighter ones. He's varied his run up a bit to change angles, used the width and depth of the crease superbly, mixed up pace, turn, loop and such with incredible subtlety and cunning. And unlike Murali, he hasn't lost heart. He's kept plugging away and that too with a captain's burden upon him. Absolutely masterful. This is a feat I didn't think was possible. This Aussie lineup's piled up big runs against the likes of Akhtar, Kaneria, Pollock, Ntini, Murali, Vaas, Harmison, Hoggard, Giles/Panesar, and just about every other side around. Most of the world's best bowlers have been brought to their knees by that top 7. Kumble on the other hand has taken the attack to them, and on a first day pitch at the MCG with the pressure of the captaincy. Just brilliant. Statistics and records be damned. This string of performances against the world's finest team puts him at the very least up there with Murali, and possibly higher. Kumble's a bloody legend, and hopefully this performance (and a few more like it) will convince a lot of others as well.

I am simply amazed by Anil's performance. As I went to sleep in after the first session, I had remembered one of the posters commenting in the match thread that its now " Anil versus the Aussies" and i was like " I am not so sure, they will cart him around too and end the day at 320/3. And what a pleasant surprise i got, when i woke up to see cricinfo's headline "Kumble derails Aus" Kumble's last 4 years in test cricket has been a masterpiece in the making, he has just been wonderful.

Murali was unable to raise his game for such a challenge. He's an outstanding bowler in conditions that suit him. Give him batsmen less certain against spin, or tracks designed to take spin and he can be lethal. Even his better overseas performances have come on real turners - Trent Bridge 06, the Oval 98, etc. Kumble has expanded his repertoire brilliantly and adapted to the batsmen. He knew they would try playing him as a 'medium pace inswing bowler' initially, and hit them with big wrong uns, bouncy leg breaks and top spinners and far more than just his straighter ones. He's varied his run up a bit to change angles, used the width and depth of the crease superbly, mixed up pace, turn, loop and such with incredible subtlety and cunning. And unlike Murali, he hasn't lost heart. He's kept plugging away and that too with a captain's burden upon him. Absolutely masterful. This is a feat I didn't think was possible. This Aussie lineup's piled up big runs against the likes of Akhtar, Kaneria, Pollock, Ntini, Murali, Vaas, Harmison, Hoggard, Giles/Panesar, and just about every other side around. Most of the world's best bowlers have been brought to their knees by that top 7. Kumble on the other hand has taken the attack to them, and on a first day pitch at the MCG with the pressure of the captaincy. Just brilliant. Statistics and records be damned. This string of performances against the world's finest team puts him at the very least up there with Murali, and possibly higher. Kumble's a bloody legend, and hopefully this performance (and a few more like it) will convince a lot of others as well.
Fitting tribute, Thal. Hayden is making a big song and dance about this drop in pitch being difficult to bat on, but after the first 45 minutes, it looked anything but. Kumble's genius continues to amaze me. Five-fer on the final day at Bangalore by bowling unconventional seam-up, where hardly any wickets had been taken all match . Another five-fer on the first day of the series in Australia- has this ever been achieved by a spinner in recent times, let alone a visting spinner?- by bowling loopy googlies (three of the five to go were to the wrong-un, I think) on a pitch where his fellow spinner looked like a complete @sshole. No doubt, the unfamiliarity of Jaques and Hussey with the champion spinner's guiles helped, but they didn't do too badly in a similar situation against Murali, did they? Ah, can't speak more highly of the man! Some things never change though. Hayden's domination of India. Suffered in the SL series. Straight back with a ton against us. India's domination of Gilchrist. We'll do well to keep his batting average below 30. How highly do you rate Zaheer's first day performance though? Coming back from an injury, clean bowling the best batsman in the world with an unplayable delivery? Coming of age, at last? How different might things have been with a fully fit RP Singh and a fit and firing Sreesanth? Fair to say that India have earned more respect from the Aussies in a day's play than other sides have over entire series? And why on earth does that make me feel so good about myself? It's not as if I have achieved something worthwhile myself, except staying up into the early hours, sleep starved and adrenaline crazed after driving 100+ miles from a friend's place, only to go to bed at tea, and then wake up and discover to my chagrin that I missed 6 of the best from India? No doubt India's batsmen will find a way of throwing this away after the last pair have added another 50, but let's savour a good day's work tonight. Tomorrow, things will revert back to the mean. Donny will be back posting once the Indian top order has been fired out by the Aussies, and the Pakistani fans will put away the glass shards and find reason to live again.
How different might things have been with a fully fit RP Singh and a fit and firing Sreesanth?
Yes, I feel RPS is carrying a niggle or not totally match fit yet.
Fair to say that India have earned more respect from the Aussies in a day's play than other sides have over entire series? And why on earth does that make me feel so good about myself? It's not as if I have achieved something worthwhile myself, except staying up into the early hours, sleep starved and adrenaline crazed after driving 100+ miles from a friend's place, only to go to bed at tea, and then wake up and discover to my chagrin that I missed 6 of the best from India?
Dont we all? :D
No doubt India's batsmen will find a way of throwing this away after the last pair have added another 50, but let's savour a good day's work tonight. Tomorrow, things will revert back to the mean. Donny will be back posting once the Indian top order has been fired out by the Aussies, and the Pakistani fans will put away the glass shards and find reason to live again.
I feel the worry, and the Doc puts it brilliantly in words. This is my fear. Hopefully we will do alright. Someone assure me and comfort me please! :D
I feel the worry, and the Doc puts it brilliantly in words. This is my fear. Hopefully we will do alright. Someone assure me and comfort me please!
Can't help you there, my love, too weather-beaten for that. It's one thing to match this lot over a day's play, quite another to live with them through a Test match, let alone an entire series. Indian fans live in the knowledge that at some stage the better side will pull away and win. It's just a question of how long we can stare them in the eye and how many punches we can take before the inevitable happens. Beating Australia in Australia is a chimera. Can't be done. Certainly not with Bhajji in your side (Sorry, couldn't resist that).
Kumble's genius continues to amaze me. Five-fer on the final day at Bangalore by bowling unconventional seam-up' date=' where hardly any wickets had been taken all match . Another five-fer on the first day of the series in Australia- has this ever been achieved by a spinner in recent times, let alone a visting spinner?- by bowling loopy googlies (three of the five to go were to the wrong-un, I think) on a pitch where his fellow spinner looked like a complete @sshole.[/quote'] To be fair Doc, most series have begun at the Gabba where spinners rarely get the chance to bowl. Although in the last home series in Aus, Panesar and Warne both got five-fors on the opening day of tests at Perth and Melbourne respectively. In one case, England's batsmen failed to press on after Panesar's show. In the other, Australia pummelled England to a three day innings defeat. I hope India go the latter direction.
No doubt, the unfamiliarity of Jaques and Hussey with the champion spinner's guiles helped, but they didn't do too badly in a similar situation against Murali, did they?
Unfamiliarity only counts for so much. They would have no doubt had their standard heavy duty preparations, picking other players' brains on how to handle him, watching countless videos and maybe net simulations facing bowling/throw downs trying to mimic Kumble's pace and style. This is 2007, a professional age in the game, and unfamiliarity with a bowler - especially one who has been around as long as Kumble has - is not an excuse Australia will take, especially given how they prepare. No, Australia's batsmen would have all recognised him as the major threat, remembering his feats in Australia last time around, and moments like his hauls in Chennai and Mumbai in 2004. They would have prepared out of their skins not just to negate the top opposition bowler, but to put additional pressure on the touring captain. In spite of all that, Kumble ends the opening day with honours to his side and a five-for. I can't credit him enough, especially seeing how many others have failed and been ground down to submissive, defensive messes in similar situations.

In a discussion with Prem Panicker over the same issue--Kumble's brilliance, Prem commented that in their tactics to target the visiting captain, Australians over attacked Kumble and the champion took full advantage of that. But he(Prem) thinks that Australia won't repeat the mistake and would look to negate Kumble from now on, by just seeing him of, and only taking singles and twos of him. What do you think? Can a bowler like Kumble be negated easily, if you just try to play safe? I suppose, many have tried to do this to Kumble before too, and have failed. How do you think the Australians would look to tackle Kumble?

Kumble says this performance is probably his best ever - "To be honest, [this performance is] probably the top of everything," Kumble told reporters after grabbing his 35th five-wicket haul in Tests. "To get it on the first day of the Boxing Day Test, the first Test of the series, against Australia, it is a very special one." "I have always believed the first Test of a series is very important and the way we performed after being on the back foot at lunch, I am very happy with what happened today. "I think we are still in the game. I think it's important that we [have them] 337 for nine. We will get the wicket to finish them off, then go on get a big score."