India face 'battle to survive'

arkay

India face 'battle to survive' By Jon Pierik December 27, 2007 BOXING Day maestro Matthew Hayden has warned India's superstar batsmen that they will face a rugged fight to survive and prosper on a testing MCG pitch. Hayden was the only Australian to negotiate a deck that had been shrouded in mystery all week because of Melbourne's inclement weather. So uncertain were the tourists about the pitch that India skipper Anil Kumble drafted spinner Harbhajan Singh into the side just before play after telling him on Christmas Day that he would not be required. Kumble had made an 8.15am inspection and discovered the wicket was not as moist as he had expected. Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark will resume this morning with Australia at 9-337, hoping to push the total at least past 350. This will be a challenging first-innings score on a drop-in pitch Hayden has described as "tricky". "I think it's definitely going to be a wicket that will be very hard to score on over the next few days," Hayden said. "You will see us really putting the pressure on in the field and really trying to restrict India. That's the way I see it going. "I also think the match will go into the fifth day and the wicket will deteriorate, and it will be very difficult to bat on during that last day." Kumble meanwhile urged his batsmen to follow Hayden's steady lead when they step out. "The wicket is slow, but if you apply yourself then there are runs to get," he said. "(Hayden) showed that and I'm sure if our batsmen apply themselves it will happen.

Indians are in an enviable position. This is an ideal opportunity to put runs onboard and bat do the talking. The pitch does not have any demons. Ozzies would be frustrated lot if apply ourselves and keep playing according to each session. Our immediate task is to fold the aussies tail. The next priority would be to survive the initial new ball spell and then go for good opening partnership. This would provide a good foundation for others to follow. Indians have a lot of time in their belt. We should not play rash shots and succumb to ozzie pressure. Ozzies should toil hard to get us out. The game is on.

Precisely. There are no demons in the pitch as yet. Hayden was very comfortable after the initial spell of Zaheer and RPS. Both Jacques & Hayden were hardly troubled. They were cruising. Even the batsmen who followed stroked the ball well. All the wickets that we got yesterday was thru' the capability of bowlers and some rash strokes by the ozzies. The outfield was very slow yesterday. Let us see how is it today.