Checking old emails..what do you feel?

Lurker

And so on the New Year's day I am busy sending best wishes electronically to my friends, family and loved ones. This was also a time to catch up with those I have lost touch and so I went through my old emails, all the way back to 1997 and later. It took me a while to dig through the whole bunch looking for names that I have now pushed, unconsciously, further back in my mind than I probably should've. It was a rainbow moment, almost like watching your life fly by for a second. Here are a few things I observed:

• With passage of time it seems that I have become just that little bit less optimistic(hate the word pessmistic). The natural loudness of expression has now been replaced by a more controlled, at times formal language.
  • Some emails made me feel downright stupid. This was down to those passionate emails when me and the other persons were busy churning out a dozen emails within an hour, asking everything and anything, and comforting the other that this would how it would be all through life, well it wasnt.
  • The amount of pictures that accompanied emails seems to get lesser by the day. The earlier ones had friends in all sorts of places in all sorts of positions. Now they are more with kids, and maybe once every two years.
  • Work emails showed no major change really. I seemed to be forwarding rare emails in late 90s to my personal account as I do today. Guess that tells a story about the priority of work.

In all some great rememberance but overall it made me a tad depressed I suppose. How does it work with you guys? Do you check your old emails, say 5-10 years old, any time? And whats the feeling it brings back? xxxx

I dont read old emails that much, probably because i am not such a good e-mail-keep-in-touch-guy and most of the e-mails i either get or send are generally impersonal in nature. But if i were to really honest, i do sometimes read certain mails i got/get from some girls... Helps me re-assure myself that i am not all that useless after all.. :haha:

• Some emails made me feel downright stupid.
I don't keep emails, but I have kept written letters from about 94-95 onwards. I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment of feeling silly, particularly when I read notes my friends and I used to write each other in school. The stupid part is I still find it all funny, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if the situation was right. Yep, I'm a mature 25 year old, all right.
  • Now they are more with kids, and maybe once every two years.

Definitely agree with this! A lot of my friends seem to have kids and their emails or texts are about them. When we catch up they usually bring their kids along. That's cool and all but it sometimes makes me sad that things are never going to be the way they used to be - just us bumming around together having fun. The worst are letters from people you used to date! *Shudder*

The worst are letters from people you used to date! *Shudder*
Eggjactly. Man it is such a plethora of emotions going thru them. You feel loved-rejected-accepted-defeated all at the same time. You wonder if it was your fault or his/her. You have the first email after your first fight and it is laced with emotions, you see how she cried when she wrote it. Then you see how the emotions lost after 3-4 emails. After the first few fights there were no tears, more a finger pointing and no remorse at all. None of that - Please never ever leave me - life had taken over. I generally delete most of my exs emails because a lot of them contains materials that would affect their life(always more dicey for girls). xxxx

Guest dada_rocks

Ladkiya agar nakharewali/bewafa nahin huin to love ka industry hi baith jayega.. Look no farther than my signature.....

I generally delete most of my exs emails because a lot of them contains materials that would affect their life(always more dicey for girls).
See that's the difference between guys and girls - we *keep* emails/letters from guys, for this exact same reason. (j/k...sorta). Agree with what you said re: mixed emotions. I hate how you sometimes put on rose-coloured glasses when viewing the past, and you start wondering what might have happened if you did things differently. Such a pointless exercise dwelling on the past.

See that's the difference between guys and girls - we *keep* emails/letters from guys, for this exact same reason. (j/k...sorta).
Rebb, I had touched on this in a seperate thread. Guys, generally speaking, like to forget their past. This is one reason why we delete our emails from ex. For a lot of us if we keep old emails from ex and read them later on it either makes us feel stupid or at times messes up with the mind. Girls on the other hand fascinate me. They will keep all the letters from all the exs, gifts and so on. I have a friend who has letters, all variety, from her exs since when she was 13. Her hubby has read some of them and no surprises that he got upset and stopped reading them but she refused to do anything about it. This part fascinates me as well as scares me. Fascinates me because I am not sure how girls can enjoy the history without affecting the present, scary because if it does affect the present(if only for a day or two) then thats something I would not want to see in my girl. No surprises then that most girls want to remain friends with their ex while guys furiously decline the offer. xxx

See that's the difference between guys and girls - we *keep* emails/letters from guys, for this exact same reason. (j/k...sorta). Agree with what you said re: mixed emotions. I hate how you sometimes put on rose-coloured glasses when viewing the past, and you start wondering what might have happened if you did things differently. Such a pointless exercise dwelling on the past.
I have tried to delete but somehow I could not. But I have kept away from reading. But the case is not similar on the other side. I can still feel it when I talk on phone with her. :((

I have tried to delete but somehow I could not. But I have kept away from reading. But the case is not similar on the other side. I can still feel it when I talk on phone with her.
Matlab?? Kuch chamka nahin. And yes I certainly understand how it is so difficult to delete those emails. Reminds of that famous Jagjit Singh ghazal. Tere khusboo mein base khat main jalaata kaise?

ek din maine yeh gaane kam se kam 50 baar suna tha
Awww :mama: Woh phase bhi unique hota hai. It is strange how someone can soooooo get inside your head that you think of her/him every second of every minute of every hour. Strange and scary.

Guest dada_rocks

bird of same feather flock together. Boy Jagjit Singh is one of the pillar of my life. FOSLA members of India have serious liking for his singing.. Huzuur aapka bhi ehtraam karta chalun Idhar se Gujara to soncha salaam karta chalun. Wo unki jid ki mujhe dekh kar kisi ko na dekh Mera ye shauq ki sabse salaam karta chalun

yeah ... all you need time to regain your composure back
True. But once you regain composure it is not exactly that you relish it. The way I look at this is during those phase when you think of her every second you are sad and hope to ride the rough. Then one day you think of her once every hour, then once every few hours, and finally one day you do not think of her at all. And that also makes you sad. One reason why I dont beleive in the whole - If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger. Frankly it may not kill you but it sure kills a part of/within you. Khair all these talk is making me depressed now, time to go make some coffee and ogle at ample hipped babes at work :hatsoff:

Awww :mama: Woh phase bhi unique hota hai. It is strange how someone can soooooo get inside your head that you think of her/him every second of every minute of every hour. Strange and scary.
its all because of hormones and lack of samajhdaari.. today i feel i would have reacted differently to some situations and could have handled few girls differently... we all make progress...or we all lose our innocence..gradually... some do this quite early ..some a bit later...

its all because of hormones and lack of samajhdaari.. today i feel i would have reacted differently to some situations and could have handled few girls differently...
Arre nahin bhai. Thats a rather sanaki way of looking at it. To me love is the simplest emotion. You meet someone, you like him/her, you fall in love. End of story. Isko kahe ka complicate karne ka?? Truth be told the older you get, and the more matured, you love less and get more practical. Dont confuse love with practicality of life. Jehan tak samajhdaari ki baat hai to how many Indians have been half as samajhdaar as Mahapundit Rahul Sankrityayan?? You should read about how he lived his life and how scores of women taught him all about it. In the end it is all about how prepared you are to dive in I suppose.
Bihariyon ka aur pichwade ka koi naata jaroor hai...
Always. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: There is no better sight in the world than the ample hips and round ahmmm..

Woh phase bhi unique hota hai. It is strange how someone can soooooo get inside your head that you think of her/him every second of every minute of every hour. Strange and scary.
I'm going through that right now - its keeping me happy, but the fact that I got no shot is kinda making me sad too.:dontknow: