The BSE/NSE Trading Thread

G_B_

10 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Also whats your strategy on Banknifty / Nifty ? ... Too many false triggers for intra day on technical for index futures in my experience , so I prefer stocks for Intra day . 

** i am yet to perfect this strategy 

i am trying to take advantage of the weekly options time decay .. sell at the money / near the money options and hedge it with outside the money options ( iron condor but i really dont remember these :p ) ..

for example , if ATM options are trading for 250rs in the morning , if the net movement is less than 100pts , it might close at 210/220rs , ( we might gain 20/30 pts in shorts but lose 10-15 in our long hedges )..

we dont lose as long as the movement is less than 0.5% of BN and vix doesnt jump..

again we have to avoid trading if the premiums are less ( inseatd we can try  reverse iron condor like on wednesdays/thursday the expiry day  ) ..

i tried this as my secondary startegy for the last 3 months and this seems to be working .. i improved/optimized my staregy a bit , but yet to perfect it..

potentially we can make 25-30k per day for 20L capital , but on worst case scenario we will lose 75k as well ..

tried few other things as well in BN , but primary long stargeies doesnt work because of time decay.. i am yet to perfect this and i will try this again after result season gets over

Edited by velu

1 hour ago, velu said:

** i am yet to perfect this strategy 

i am trying to take advantage of the weekly options time decay .. sell at the money / near the money options and hedge it with outside the money options ( iron condor but i really dont remember these :p ) ..

for example , if ATM options are trading for 250rs in the morning , if the net movement is less than 100pts , it might close at 210/220rs , ( we might gain 20/30 pts in shorts but lose 10-15 in our long hedges )..

we dont lose as long as the movement is less than 0.5% of BN and vix doesnt jump..

again we have to avoid trading if the premiums are less ( inseatd we can try  reverse iron condor like on wednesdays/thursday the expiry day  ) ..

i tried this as my secondary startegy for the last 3 months and this seems to be working .. i improved/optimized my staregy a bit , but yet to perfect it..

potentially we can make 25-30k per day for 20L capital , but on worst case scenario we will lose 75k as well ..

tried few other things as well in BN , but primary long stargeies doesnt work because of time decay.. i am yet to perfect this and i will try this again after result season gets over

Seems like a pretty safe strategy .Do you look at charts for BN ?

I have tried a few things with options , but they have been best use for me as a hedge for my future positions ..when I do take multi day / week  positions . This has worked for me for couple of years now .

Its my intraday with stocks I have been working on to refine a little more , so was curious to know what indicators others use here .

26 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Seems like a pretty safe strategy .Do you look at charts for BN ?

I have tried a few things with options , but they have been best use for me as a hedge for my future positions ..when I do take multi day / week  positions . This has worked for me for couple of years now .

Its my intraday with stocks I have been working on to refine a little more , so was curious to know what indicators others use here .

no indicators :p ..

want to take advantage of time decay on weekly options and nothing else .. here profit/loss is very less when compared to other intraday trading staregies ..

thing is we should be aware of option price behaviour and potential things which affects vix ..

like if BN ATM straddle closes at 320rs on thursday and next day if the ATM options  trades at 300rs , by expereince i know that it might close at around 265/270rs on friday , we can do iron condor ..

but if it closes on 220rs on monday and trades at 180/190rs on tuesday morning , we know that it can go down by another 20pts max , so better not do iron condor ( here we can do reverse iron condor , but i m still skeptical of going against time decay ) ..

also if there are any events or triggers , premium wont go down , like the week when RBI meet is there ..

thing here is that , we make good money if BN doesnt move much , little gain/loss if BN moves by 0.5% kind and big loss if BN moves substantially ..

from expereince i learnt that initiating it at 10.00am is safer than doing it at 9.25am ( BN takes direction and it is better to let it settle )..

there are cases when vix jumps , premiums too jumps , like when there is a sudden fall in BN , premiums of the straddle moves like 265 to 285 in minutes ..

i did have the data about the movement of the BN which i will put it in the end .. 

* there is no other way other than putting market orders when initiating the postions .. i split into 5/6 orders of 5lots each if i want to put 30lots .. this itself will take bid-ask spread losses of 1-2 points

*never do short straddle in options , there will be plenty of small profits but we will get 1 or 2 disproportionate loses which takes all the pfts away

BN movemnts between two timeframes ( wednesdays and thursdays are not included ) 

9:55 - 1:45:-
=============
000+  -> 11
050+  -> 5
100+  -> 1
150+  -> 2
200+  -> 0
250+  -> 1
300+  -> 0

9:55 - 2:45:-
=============
000+  -> 9
050+  -> 6
100+  -> 3
150+  -> 0
200+  -> 1
250+  -> 1
300+  -> 0

9:55 - 3:15:-
=============
000+  -> 10
050+  -> 4
100+  -> 2
150+  -> 3
200+  -> 1
250+  -> 0
300+  -> 0

On 21/10/2017 at 1:54 AM, velu said:

no indicators :p ..

want to take advantage of time decay on weekly options and nothing else .. here profit/loss is very less when compared to other intraday trading staregies ..

thing is we should be aware of option price behaviour and potential things which affects vix ..

like if BN ATM straddle closes at 320rs on thursday and next day if the ATM options  trades at 300rs , by expereince i know that it might close at around 265/270rs on friday , we can do iron condor ..

but if it closes on 220rs on monday and trades at 180/190rs on tuesday morning , we know that it can go down by another 20pts max , so better not do iron condor ( here we can do reverse iron condor , but i m still skeptical of going against time decay ) ..

also if there are any events or triggers , premium wont go down , like the week when RBI meet is there ..

thing here is that , we make good money if BN doesnt move much , little gain/loss if BN moves by 0.5% kind and big loss if BN moves substantially ..

from expereince i learnt that initiating it at 10.00am is safer than doing it at 9.25am ( BN takes direction and it is better to let it settle )..

there are cases when vix jumps , premiums too jumps , like when there is a sudden fall in BN , premiums of the straddle moves like 265 to 285 in minutes ..

i did have the data about the movement of the BN which i will put it in the end .. 

* there is no other way other than putting market orders when initiating the postions .. i split into 5/6 orders of 5lots each if i want to put 30lots .. this itself will take bid-ask spread losses of 1-2 points

*never do short straddle in options , there will be plenty of small profits but we will get 1 or 2 disproportionate loses which takes all the pfts away

BN movemnts between two timeframes ( wednesdays and thursdays are not included ) 

9:55 - 1:45:-
=============
000+  -> 11
050+  -> 5
100+  -> 1
150+  -> 2
200+  -> 0
250+  -> 1
300+  -> 0

9:55 - 2:45:-
=============
000+  -> 9
050+  -> 6
100+  -> 3
150+  -> 0
200+  -> 1
250+  -> 1
300+  -> 0

9:55 - 3:15:-
=============
000+  -> 10
050+  -> 4
100+  -> 2
150+  -> 3
200+  -> 1
250+  -> 0
300+  -> 0

Nice :)

I find options startergy very tedious though , you need a different level of patience for them ..not for me .

I think you should still use some indicators ,but why change anything it if its working for you.

it helps me keep things simple though , once you know what works for you especially for intraday . The biggest advantage I feel is I dont have to spend too much on the market outside the trading hours which I did in the past .  

I just go for it when most of my indicators are ticked and go big when all of them look good , for eg SBI today at around 11:55  . I missed out Jubliant  , was watching it till 12:00 and it breaks out 20 mins later :( . The only rule is a strict stop loss . Today I lost money in Ashok leyland and BPCL , did well with SBI and Idea and some marginal profits in ICICI Pru , BN , HDFC Bank .  

Most of my trades are less than 30mins , mostly short break outs with a swing of 0.5 to 1 %  . The only hard part is keeping a tab on 50+ stocks . 

38 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

@velu hopefully you dint short today ? 

Crazy day !!

now i am concentrating only on results ..

even when i do bank nifty its hedged .. like even for a 400pt move on nifty from my level i will suffer max 50k loss ..

but i usually avoid trading when there is a big gapup/gapdown or any events..

anyway this big move messes up my result trading on banks though .. after such a big move its really difficult to take call on the banking stock results

Edited by velu

22 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Nice :)

I find options startergy very tedious though , you need a different level of patience for them ..not for me .

I think you should still use some indicators ,but why change anything it if its working for you.

it helps me keep things simple though , once you know what works for you especially for intraday . The biggest advantage I feel is I dont have to spend too much on the market outside the trading hours which I did in the past .  

I just go for it when most of my indicators are ticked and go big when all of them look good , for eg SBI today at around 11:55  . I missed out Jubliant  , was watching it till 12:00 and it breaks out 20 mins later :( . The only rule is a strict stop loss . Today I lost money in Ashok leyland and BPCL , did well with SBI and Idea and some marginal profits in ICICI Pru , BN , HDFC Bank .  

Most of my trades are less than 30mins , mostly short break outs with a swing of 0.5 to 1 %  . The only hard part is keeping a tab on 50+ stocks . 

options are damn interesting , you have diffeent startegies for different situations :aha:

i like delta neutral stratgies and i strongly feel , predcting the direction of a stock  affects my emotions .. so i will stick with index ..

i really think only indictaor which works for inrday is volume .. volume + upmove is bullish and the reverse is bearsh ..

whatever be the indictaor says , if someone enters with big order ,  mkt will move towards the big volume 

3 hours ago, velu said:

now i am concentrating only on results ..

even when i do bank nifty its hedged .. like even for a 400pt move on nifty from my level i will suffer max 50k loss ..

but i usually avoid trading when there is a big gapup/gapdown or any events..

anyway this big move messes up my result trading on banks though .. after such a big move its really difficult to take call on the banking stock results

Max loss of 50K for a 400 pt swing is really good .

I think you would have sill made money had you traded after the gap up today ? pretty much closed at the same levels .

Did 34 trades today lol . I was just calculating brokerage , I think i would pay around 6K in zerodha while the same trades in ICICI would have charged me around 18-20K . Regret not moving out earlier . 

Yes this move changes things a little for Banks , little confused with some of the moves ..why did ICICI go up , when everyother pvt bnk tanked ?

With this kind of move there could be more short covering tomorrow ...though one to call . 

3 hours ago, velu said:

options are damn interesting , you have diffeent startegies for different situations :aha:

i like delta neutral stratgies and i strongly feel , predcting the direction of a stock  affects my emotions .. so i will stick with index ..

i really think only indictaor which works for inrday is volume .. volume + upmove is bullish and the reverse is bearsh ..

whatever be the indictaor says , if someone enters with big order ,  mkt will move towards the big volume 

I agree its easier trading with Index than stocks , but options is difficult for me , or atleast takes more time analyzing. Im no full time you see , I barely sleep 5-6 hrs trying to balance between work and trading . 

As for indicators , Volumes offcourse are most important , but just that is not going to work in intraday .just watching volumes will give you a lot of false triggers and reversals are fairly normal even after big volumes . you need triggers for strength and momentum as well . There are multiple ways you could do this , but I depend on MACD + RVI + RSI with volumes . MACD + RVI and decent volumes is when I enter most of trades , but if I get all for good and both MACD and RVI in the same half I buy/sell in multiple lots .

Try these with couple of stocks , may be just buy 5-10 stocks do multiple trades you will get the hang of it and will know exactly when to enter and a fairly good idea of when to exit . in my experience , 80% of them go in the direction , 15% of them stay flat and wont do much and 5% may reverse , this is where you need your strict stop loss .  

1 hour ago, jusarrived said:

I think you would have sill made money had you traded after the gap up today ? pretty much closed at the same levels .

Did 34 trades today lol . I was just calculating brokerage , I think i would pay around 6K in zerodha while the same trades in ICICI would have charged me around 18-20K . Regret not moving out earlier . 

Yes this move changes things a little for Banks , little confused with some of the moves ..why did ICICI go up , when everyother pvt bnk tanked ?

With this kind of move there could be more short covering tomorrow ...though one to call . 

On 20/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, velu said:

usually wednesday and thursdays are not good for doing iron condor .. instead i would consider buying straddle or strangle or reverse iron condor ..

wednesday premiums are usually less so it is better to be on the net long side ( today premiums are high because of this bank event )

today BN moved 320-330 point from my reference ( 9.55 to 1.45 or 2.45 )..

if we had done  reverse iron condor , we might have got the same 48/50k ( ie 40pts per pair and 30 lots .. 12L margin )..

to be frank , i might not have done this because preiums are high ( straddle was trading for 240rs ) .. and i might not have done iron condor because its wednesday ( usually wednesday and thursdays are volatile , better never short ) 

Wednesday:- ( 25-10 , oct 24700/24600 call & put  .. 24900/24400 call & put)
=========

9.55:  102 + 99  = 201 , 39 + 40  = 89  => 112
01:45: 316 + 29  = 345 , 179 + 14 = 193 => 152
02:45: 321 + 29  = 350 , 183 + 15 = 198 => 152

Edited by velu

I agree its easier trading with Index than stocks , but options is difficult for me , or atleast takes more time analyzing. Im no full time you see , I barely sleep 5-6 hrs trying to balance between work and trading . 

As for indicators , Volumes offcourse are most important , but just that is not going to work in intraday .just watching volumes will give you a lot of false triggers and reversals are fairly normal even after big volumes . you need triggers for strength and momentum as well . There are multiple ways you could do this , but I depend on MACD + RVI + RSI with volumes . MACD + RVI and decent volumes is when I enter most of trades , but if I get all for good and both MACD and RVI in the same half I buy/sell in multiple lots .

Try these with couple of stocks , may be just buy 5-10 stocks do multiple trades you will get the hang of it and will know exactly when to enter and a fairly good idea of when to exit . in my experience , 80% of them go in the direction , 15% of them stay flat and wont do much and 5% may reverse , this is where you need your strict stop loss .  

big profits and big losses happen when there is a huge volume .. i meant unusally high volume ..

most of the time indictaors work when the volume is less .. but when there is a big volume comes nothing stands in front of it

i think putting stop loss at  Market price will work , because rise or fall will be sudden .. since i concentrate more or results , i have seen so many instances of it within 3/4 of the results because of upgrades and downgrades ( like adani ports was down by 1% after the results last time .. next day within 2/3 at some random time , it gained 10% .. these kind of instances are quite regular ) ..

big profits and big losses occurs only here

frankly i really dont beleive in any mathematical  indictaors for intraday .. open interest i trust  but we wont get correct data or delayed data which cannit be used for intraday ..

retired uncles trade only based on the volume spike .. like there are 6/7 uncles hanging in the brokerage office and each watch 3/4 stocks .. when they find something everyone decide to screw that stock 

answered already about BN .. if i had done my usual iron condor , might have lost 48/50k .. usual max loss 

i am concentrating on results ..

i actually had icicibank straddle for novemebr series .. results on friday and i thought premium wont go down because of the finance ministers meet .

i had 3lots for 140k .. at around 10pm i covered for 60k profit ( booked when i saw the round figure of 2L :( ) ..

if i had kept it till 1.45 or till 2.45pm , i might have got another 1.5L profit .. bad miss

my initial plan was to told till thursday 

1 hour ago, velu said:

big profits and big losses happen when there is a huge volume .. i meant unusally high volume ..

most of the time indictaors work when the volume is less .. but when there is a big volume comes nothing stands in front of it

i think putting stop loss at  Market price will work , because rise or fall will be sudden .. since i concentrate more or results , i have seen so many instances of it within 3/4 of the results because of upgrades and downgrades ( like adani ports was down by 1% after the results last time .. next day within 2/3 at some random time , it gained 10% .. these kind of instances are quite regular ) ..

big profits and big losses occurs only here

frankly i really dont beleive in any mathematical  indictaors for intraday .. open interest i trust  but we wont get correct data or delayed data which cannit be used for intraday ..

retired uncles trade only based on the volume spike .. like there are 6/7 uncles hanging in the brokerage office and each watch 3/4 stocks .. when they find something everyone decide to screw that stock 

rel.JPG

Edited by jusarrived

Ok you dont believe it works , it dint make sense to me either for a long time . 

for eg check the REL chart above  . The biggest tower you see right in the middle at point (1)  ~6 million in volumes in less than 30 mins and notice what happens to the stock after that . it dips from 890 to 860 . Can easily hit your stoploss , if you go by plain volumes . 

But if you are a technical guy , the trigger is point (2) . Like I said all 4 of my indicators are checked and if you notice the indicators are all at a point where there are hardly any volumes , you put your trade at 10:am that day probably around 880-885 , its only at

point (3) there are some signs of it losing momentum .  you get a easy 30-35 rs . 

Looks like its building up for another big spike . you check this for any stock , keep a 5min/15min chart if you are looking at intraday , you will notice ever stock which breaks out gives you indicators much before . 

Anyway , I dont know all the science behind how this works but even in the past when I dint follow technical , I had a few rules like  . Avoid buying stocks which are red , avoid shorting stocks which are in green , the idea is to trade with the big guys right . So it kind off make sense to me with technical trading as well , you stick to popular tech strategies cos thats what the big players are doing . The stock probably begins to build momentum for some random reason and the indicators generate interest which triggers buy/sell and not necessarily on very big volumes . you just follow the money !!

49 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

rel.JPG

dude .. these are all typical volumes after the results 

results came on 13th after mkt , and relaince reacted ( i actually lost 50k because i shorted relaince by eod .. i usually go only when price also supports but i went with history even though relaince closed flat ) ..

my observation is most of the trade happens from 9.15 to 10am , around european market and the last 30 mins )..

check about bulk deals ( not block deals ) .. when a bulk deal happens at any mkt hours , the trend wont change 90% on the same day ( i bother only blue chips or tradable stocks ) ..

usually when a bulk deal happens because of the big american funds , we can expect upgrade or downgrade within 1/2 days by them :p:

13 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Ok you dont believe it works , it dint make sense to me either for a long time . 

for eg check the REL chart above  . The biggest tower you see right in the middle at point (1)  ~6 million in volumes in less than 30 mins and notice what happens to the stock after that . it dips from 890 to 860 . Can easily hit your stoploss , if you go by plain volumes . 

But if you are a technical guy , the trigger is point (2) . Like I said all 4 of my indicators are checked and if you notice the indicators are all at a point where there are hardly any volumes , you put your trade at 10:am that day probably around 880-885 , its only at

point (3) there are some signs of it losing momentum .  you get a easy 30-35 rs . 

Looks like its building up for another big spike . you check this for any stock , keep a 5min/15min chart if you are looking at intraday , you will notice ever stock which breaks out gives you indicators much before . 

Anyway , I dont know all the science behind how this works but even in the past when I dint follow technical , I had a few rules like  . Avoid buying stocks which are red , avoid shorting stocks which are in green , the idea is to trade with the big guys right . So it kind off make sense to me with technical trading as well , you stick to popular tech strategies cos thats what the big players are doing . The stock probably begins to build momentum for some random reason and the indicators generate interest which triggers buy/sell and not necessarily on very big volumes . you just follow the money !!

saw this after posting  my reply ..

this is usual  post result reaction , i usually take a call 30mins before EOD or after 2 hours .. 

here i went wrong because for most of the stocks i wont touch if the post result movement is +or -4% ..

i am not saying these maths indictaors wont work , my view is it wont work when there is a big volume and most of the people lose or gain big money there .. 

anywya if something works , i am ready to copy :icflove:

1 hour ago, velu said:

dude .. these are all typical volumes after the results 

results came on 13th after mkt , and relaince reacted ( i actually lost 50k because i shorted relaince by eod .. i usually go only when price also supports but i went with history even though relaince closed flat ) ..

my observation is most of the trade happens from 9.15 to 10am , around european market and the last 30 mins )..

check about bulk deals ( not block deals ) .. when a bulk deal happens at any mkt hours , the trend wont change 90% on the same day ( i bother only blue chips or tradable stocks ) ..

usually when a bulk deal happens because of the big american funds , we can expect upgrade or downgrade within 1/2 days by them :p:

The thing it doesnt really matter results or any news , unless somthing like a demonetization or yesteradys news stocks dont reverse their trend even if they do they give you enough time to react, like I said earlier my trades are less then 30mins and some of them less than 5mins . Idea for eg yesterday spiked from 97.5 to 100.8 for less than 10 mins , gave the indicators which i like , i bought 4 lots at ~98 and exited at 100.4 . if you check the 5min chart , it look exactly like how I pointed out for REL . The only thing I havent been able to do is , hold on when all indicators are still good . I tend to exit when get a 20-30 k profit on a trade . 

Today for eg , I had 5 lots of SBI bought at 301 and sold off at 302.5 , though I was very confident it would go past its day high :(

you can check for yourself , I have done close to 70 trades in last 3 days , I think 6 hit stop loss and around 10 I may have exited much before stoploss price with small loss , the rest have been good for me  . it definitely works for me , I havent really had a bad day for a while .

I would suggest research a little on MACD , one of the most popular ones I personally give it 60% weight-age , but it works best with RVI which not many people use . 

RSI + Volumes nicely complement the above . 

There is one other indicator I have been experimenting with, will let you know once am confident it works . 

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

The thing it doesnt really matter results or any news , unless somthing like a demonetization or yesteradys news stocks dont reverse their trend even if they do they give you enough time to react, like I said earlier my trades are less then 30mins and some of them less than 5mins . Idea for eg yesterday spiked from 97.5 to 100.8 for less than 10 mins , gave the indicators which i like , i bought 4 lots at ~98 and exited at 100.4 . if you check the 5min chart , it look exactly like how I pointed out for REL . The only thing I havent been able to do is , hold on when all indicators are still good . I tend to exit when get a 20-30 k profit on a trade . 

Today for eg , I had 5 lots of SBI bought at 301 and sold off at 302.5 , though I was very confident it would go past its day high :(

you can check for yourself , I have done close to 70 trades in last 3 days , I think 6 hit stop loss and around 10 I may have exited much before stoploss price with small loss , the rest have been good for me  . it definitely works for me , I havent really had a bad day for a while .

I would suggest research a little on MACD , one of the most popular ones I personally give it 60% weight-age , but it works best with RVI which not many people use . 

There is one other indicator I have been experimenting with, will let you know once am confident it works . 

our timeframes are different .. i am yet to come across anything which is as simple and effective as volume + price movement ( ie i consider big volume like average *5/6 day volume with the price movement of 4/5% ) ..

my best performance when comes to accuracy is 2 losses vs 22 profits when follwing this volume + big price movement ..

its 91.5% success rate and i used writing options only and the timeframe is intraday to 2/3 days max and i used only 5L margin ( one more loss which is because i bought instead or selling call/put  ) ..

i didnt try it with futures because i was still employed and probably i might have been 75-80% if i tried futures ( in the same period 29th jan to 28th feb series , Nifty moved from 7500 to 7000 points..

i lost money only once in 1.5 years on monthly basis , that too when demonitization was announced ..

i lose money on surgical strike day , but end up positive on montly basis ( surgical strike unfortunately came on expiry and i was greedy to pocket all the premium instead of covering them for 5 paise  :mad: ) 

i am not trying this staregy now , got more funds to play with and need to come up with more scalable startegies like index trades..

ljXeVAC.jpg 

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

i suggets you to move to zerodha or some other discount broker , you can save a lot of money and dont need to bother about brokerage..

also zerodha provides trailing SL orders and box orders ..

after executing the order , pft booking order and sl order will beplaces .. when one executes other gets cancelled ..

trailing sl order is like after buying something for 100rs , set sl for 95 and pft booking order for 105 and counter as 1rs .. if the price of the strike moves to 101 , sl order will be modifed to 96 .. ( one problem is that this counters minimum value is 1rs :( ) ..

can you give the parameters for MACD , rvi , rsi and the trade setup ..

give the strategy which you tried and tested so that i dont need to break my head again .. :icflove: 

i never did intrady for 30mins kind of timeframes intentionally