Sachin should play a more visible role

veer

MM, In the above post, it was more a humor post. But in all seriousness, yes, you do come across as someone who is a traditionalist (with respect to cricket umpiring, i wont generalize to all life issues) and anti-technology(again with respect to cricket). Sorry that we may misunderstand, but we are only having interaction with you online via posts, PMs etc where we touched upon this.
Specifically with respect to umpiring, my opinions are based on my understanding of having watched this game over last decade and a half and the way i understand it and NOT based on some old school mindset that refuses to change. I am not the kind of person who see sticks to his stand, however wrong it is, just to satisfy my ego. If i think i made a mistake i will be first person to acknowledge it, say sorry and change my opinion. But with respect to umpiring, I sincerely believe we shouldnt tamper too much with the existing system and that will always remain my view.
Specifically with respect to umpiring, my opinions are based on my understanding of having watched this game over last decade and a half and the way i understand it and NOT based on some old school mindset that refuses to change.
Not trying to butt in here MM but you need to go out and take a walk :icflove: Why are you explaining your position to others, most of who refuse to reveal anything about themselves!! :hysterical::hysterical: There is nothing wrong in being traditionalist and pound for pound your cricketing acumen is better than rest of those who criticize you put together :D. So go take a walk and stop being defensive about what you beleive in. :icflove:

Thanks Lurks, it is relieving to know atleast someone here makes an effort to have an objective opinion of things, and not bias their thoughts through mindsets that have formed through years of having been fed with the brown vs white bull-crap...

Or maybe you are one of those who happen to have a mind of their own and not become jingoistic like everyone else. Why will anyone waste his breath "understanding" where you come from when he/she could easily chastise you as a "confused" person? This whole umpiring-racism-player behaviour reminds me of a fantastic line from Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. In the book the sherriff, a typical old Southern man, goes thus - Pretty much the end of the civilization starts when young pups forget their basic manners and stop addressing their seniors with a Sir or Madam. It is not very surprising that the call for technology/umpires head has also coincided with the era of boorish behaviour by players. While it is debatable that umpiring skills have been on downslide in past decade or so, it is beyond debate that players from most countries today are ill-mannered, over appealing bunch of lads who beleive sledging/mind games is a part of game. xxx
Lurker, Maybe it is becos of " it is beyond debate that players from most countries today are ill-mannered, over appealing bunch of lads who beleive sledging/mind games is a part of game. " Whatever be it, why not overcome it with tech to make correct decisions? Why refuse it and stick to the method that worked when lads were 'better behaved' and 'more honest'?
We know that he is respected in Australia and is considered a gret competitor who wont back away from a fight. He should hold a press conference and make the points that a) Ozs played in poor spirit and that Bhajji was targeted and framed (since he was batting his words will have more credibility). I will take SRTs word and bet the farm that even in Australia they will take his word over Ponting or Clark. Reports say that SRT is playing an active role behind the scenes - time for him to step up.
Coming to the topic now. SRT needs to do more as far as I am concerned. In this fiasco there are 4 key players - Symonds, Ponting, Harbhajan and SRT. Symonds and Ponting have been making public comments. Symonds suggesting Bhajji got what he deserved. Ponting suggesting, and I paraphrase - There was only one ugly incident in the Test and Indians did it. I can understand Bhajji not saying much because at the end of the day its his butt thats on the line but SRT clearly needs to raise alarm here. He is the seniormost statesman of cricket and the best player of his era. How in the world does a Mike Procter doesnt beleive SRT and beleives Symonds and Ponting? EVen when umpires mention they havent heard anything at all!! I say SRT should give them hell. xxx
uhh ? What happened at SCG was all a bad dream then ? and last time I checked Bucknor is black ... not white ...
Perspective my dear friend, perspective.... Get your perspectives right before you start seeing things. After all , werent you the one, who opened a thread, literally months ago about how we will be Bucknored in Sydney ? If you watch a game expecting bad decisions and unfair play, then its no wonder you blow every small damn thing out of proportion !
Whatever be it, why not overcome it with tech to make correct decisions? Why refuse it and stick to the method that worked when lads were 'better behaved' and 'more honest'?
Because to you it is simple as that, for many others it is not. Soccer is the number 1 sport in England but no family goes to watch it. Ever wondered why?? Ever wondered why it is never said - This is not hockey??? There is a grace when it comes to cricket, there is an attraction about a game that, to quote Cardus, was played by Gods in heaven. I dont expect modern cricket fans to have an aorta of cricketing history knowledge but I would expect them to be decent towards those who are deemed "traditionalist" or in love with "charm" of cricket. At the end of the day cricket is a charming game of touch and finesse and not a contact sport. As for technology I have made it amply clear they should be used for line calls(stumpings, run outs) and human umpiring for close in situation(lbw, bat-pad) etc. xxx
MM, Please! We are not all saying brown vs white BS. Umpires make mistakes whether it is intentional or unintentional. EVEN if it is unintentional, it causes an issue. There is tech to prevent such unintentional mistake as well.
Atleast to show you guys, i wish ICC decides to use the third umpire for EVERY lbw, caught behind , catch etc.. . BTW finey, let me ask you, What changes do you want then ?
and wasnt I correct ?
That isnt the point, there are other here who want the system to be changed, but did they open a thread proclaiming how we will be screwed in Sydney by Bucknor ? The point of discussion here is your mindset and that itself is wrong to begin with !
there is a reason why I expect bad decisions ... I guess you will never understand things like past hitory trends and such things ... And what have I blown out of proportion ? Is the entire country gone mad that they are seething with anger against Bucknor ?
You can now justify your words now because the general public mood is totally against umpiring because of the Sydney fiasco. This is your time under the sun, enjoy it !
They actually did that in 2002 ICC Champions trophy and also declared it as a bonafide success. and then promptly binned it without any explanation ... welcome to the world of Autocratic control freaks.
Bonafide success ? Define whats success here first.
So then you should not have any problems with what Bucknor did at SCG (Symonds Caught behind and Punter Caught Behind and RD caught behind )
No fortunately for me I am UNLIKE YOU who doesnt see only black and white in this world. Quite frankly you are plain stubborn if you fail to realize that any sane cricket fan who supports human umpire is also the first to criticize Steve Bucknor at SCG. It is simply your ego that is stopping you. I am yet to see a person here support Bucknor. Every cricket fan, technolgy supporter or not, wants Bucknor to be shoved off so what exactly are you ranting on about here? xxx
they got every single decision right and that is as per ICC itself ....
Of course they would have gotten all the decisions "right" ? what else are the replays for ? Now, lets hear again from you, why do you think they scrapped it ?

MM, what changes I want...the changes that ICC proposed and then got shuttled becos Aus, Pak and few others voted otherwise (and maybe some more) I want appeal/challenge system for umpiring. Refer to third umpire for bat pad catches, did ball hit the ground. Refer to TV slow mo snickometers, hot spots for edges to keeper and slips if challenged. If not challenged, dont bother. Use Tech for LBW for where the ball pitched and impact spot whether it is in line.