Kumble lauded for maintaining dignity

DesiChap

Kumble lauded for maintaining dignity Press Trust Of India New Delhi: The Indian Cricket Board on Wednesday patted India captain Anil Kumble for maintaining his dignity even amid the chaos that surrounded the team's second Test against Australia in Sydney. Kumble has not been heard much since the Sydney Test ended, creating enough bad blood between the teams and leading to a crisis, which needed intervention by the International Cricket Council (ICC). "Kumble has been wonderful as captain and he presented himself in a very dignified manner in Sydney," BCCI vice president Rajiv Shukla said. After his team lost the bitter Sydney Test, Kumble rued only one team played the match in the true spirit of the game. Leading cricket writer Peter Roebuck said Kumble's condemnation of the Australian behaviour would be etched in history. "Throughout, Anil Kumble's strongest point has been his withering condemnation of the excessive conduct (of the Australian team). His words were carefully chosen and given a historical context," said Roebuck. "Beyond question, Kumble's words will have a lasting effect on the way the game is played. Everything needs to be seen in that light," Roebuck said. Shukla, meanwhile, said that as decided by the BCCI Working Committee in a meeting here on Tuesday, India would continuously review the tour. He also vowed to clear the racist slur on Harbhajan Singh's name. "There was no evidence to suggest that Harbhajan said something (racist) and this is part of the appeal that BCCI has made to the ICC. India itself is fighting against racism, how can we be racist?" Shukla asked. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/kumble-lauded-for-maintaining-dignity/28812-13.html

Without doubt, the words " I think only one team was playing within the spirit of the game" will go down as one of the most powerful quotes in the history of the game. The context of that sentence, the status of the man who said it and the circumstances that were prevailing at that moment have given it a powerful meaning, much beyond what words can express. This current Aus team will have to live with the shame of having their legacies tainted by that comment forever.

Guest dada_rocks

I am told it's just second time that any captain has given thumbs down to the spirit of the game of its opposition. I suppose first time it might have happened during bodyline series

really a gentleman...but sometime in some situation u cant be this gentle...
Exactly.
On the contrary, it is holding your dignity in extremely provocative situations that will earn you ever-lasting respect. Kumble could have easily blown hot and made some scathing remarks against the Aus team in the press conf right after the match, but he replied every prickly questions, questions that would have otherwise elicited brazen remarks from other mere mortals, with a smile in his face. Kumble's stature as a gentleman of the game just grew 10 fold after this test.

I agree with MM. I also understand the other view that Kumble should have been a little more tough. I think many may have wanted that and it's just fine to feel that way after what happened in that match. Some people look at this as just some game and what not, but they are blind to the truth of what took place. If I were captain I would be unable to restrain myself against Aus, I would refuse to play against them again. Kumble is different and he dealt with the situation with the intention of keeping things from going more insane. Of course there is a strong counter to this, but I would have backed Kumble in either manor he decided to deal with it. Job well done Kumble!:two_thumbs_up: Aus, take this!:finger:

Yup... Its tough to be patient while acting on things. He was doing what he supposed to do and whatever he felt he should do. But never lost his temper or anything.... Kumble is representing true India. All his fellow men also carry same reputation more or less.
Exactly. Now the question is "Does Ponting represent the true Australia"?

Mentally disintegrate them Kumble.

Exactly. Now the question is "Does Ponting represent the true Australia"?
I completely agree with the comments in this thread. I am so happy to hear people now returning to look at the magnanimous way Kumble presents himself. I hope he goes overboard on the 'olive leaf' offer to Ponting to show Ponting how a leader should behave; ironically Kumble has an opportunity to mentally disintegrate Ponting right now. How ironic would it be if the Indians could mentally disintegrate the Australian cricket team off the field with gracious, sportsmanlike behavior? (That said, I do have one small criticism of Kumble. At the end of the Australian second batting inning's India became very negative in their fielding etc. and I thought Kumble was most 'dejected and negative'. This attitude seemed to permeate the batting when India took to the crease. Kumble appeared to have sorted out HIS attitude by the time he came out do bat (big ovation for his performance there!) but the damage seemed to have been done?).
Guest HariSampath

Kumble was extremely dignified, but also expressed everything he needed to. he clearly said only one side was playing the game in right spirit. When asked specifically on the umpiring, although he is not supposed to say anything according to ICC rules, he achieved the purpose by saying " I cannot comment on umpiring, but everyone saw what happened"...and also "when someone clearly edges a ball to first slip and doesn't go away, that says it all"...what else we need our captain to say

On the contrary, it is holding your dignity in extremely provocative situations that will earn you ever-lasting respect. Kumble could have easily blown hot and made some scathing remarks against the Aus team in the press conf right after the match, but he replied every prickly questions, questions that would have otherwise elicited brazen remarks from other mere mortals, with a smile in his face. Kumble's stature as a gentleman of the game just grew 10 fold after this test.
Kumble was extremely dignified' date=' but also expressed everything he needed to. he clearly said only one side was playing the game in right spirit. When asked specifically on the umpiring, although he is not supposed to say anything according to ICC rules, he achieved the purpose by saying " I cannot comment on umpiring, but everyone saw what happened"...and also "when someone clearly edges a ball to first slip and doesn't go away, that says it all"...what else we need our captain to say[/quote'] Agree completely. The way Kumble kept his head cool in this exploding situation was admirable. And without losing even a bit of dignity he made all the points he could. I hope the younger Indian players follow his example in the future. Its all good to be fiery but bring that fire in your performance, not behaviour on the fields. And finally, two thumbs up for Kumble and his ability to handle this situation.

Hail Anil, cricket's new statesman On a scale of 10, he would rate an eight for his bowling alone. Add to it his doughty batting and a never-say-die spirit and you have a quintessential pro who is currently the pride of one billion Indians and envy of all right-thinking Aussies. Meet Anil Kumble, who is all that, and a whole lot more. Ask Ricky Ponting, who won a match but no honour in Sydney. Kumble, on the other hand, was honourable in defeat. So dignified was Kumble in the face of extreme provocation from all quarters during the Sydney Test that it will hardly be an exaggeration to describe him as the games new statesman. Australian fans are simply in love with Kumble, who has shown that one doesn't have to be arrogant to be a successful captain as Ponting would have us believe. It takes a lot to stand up to the Aussies' on-your-face approach, but not once did Kumble flinch. In fact, he gave it to the Aussies as good as he got from them — in his cool and collected manner. For someone who has always played the game fair and square, Kumble went about demolishing one Aussie myth after the other till they stood exposed before their own fans. Kumble employed no devious methods in doing so. He merely called the bluffs and exposed the double-standards of a world champion side suffering from an acute with a win-at-all-costs syndrome. Not many captains have dared to come to Australia and do that. Kumble has done it even after his side is 0-2 down in the four-Test series. From where does he get so much courage? "You don't need to be fearful to speak the truth, do you?" he asks. "I have played long enough to know how things are, at this level. The problem is at times people take you to be soft if you are not forceful enough." The Indian captain made it clear that he had approached his Australian counterpart with the request not to press racial charges against Harbhajan Singh not only because he was convinced that his spin partner was innocent, but also because of the far-reaching repercussions it can have. "There is a lesson in it for all of us. Hopefully, they will be learned," Kumble said, clearly looking ahead. He is also game for a one-on-one session with Ponting before the Perth Test to clear the air and to ensure that the game is played in better spirit. However, this time Ponting will not be calling all the shots. For someone who is known to prey on batsmen's mind before bringing about their downfall, Kumble has always been respected by the Aussies as a crafty customer. His frontal attack on Aussies has earned him a tough nut tag. The country and the BCCI should be happy to have someone like him at the helm of the team, for you can count on the leggie not to put a foot wrong in a crisis and emerge out of it with lot of credit. TOI

Great comment and completely agree. Previous to this Indian tour I used to anticipate matches with New Zealand in part because of the captaincy of Steven Fleming. I am very happy to acknowledge that Kumble has shown us a level of respect and leadership that I have only really noticed with Steven. Throw in his brilliant performance with the ball (in particular first innings in Melbourne) and bat and you seem to have a man at the top of his game. You should all be very proud.