David Lean Masterclass

zen

Recently, revisited David Leans films by casually picking up UHD of Bridge on River Kwai. Watched the rented copy of Lawrence of Arabia downloaded on phone on a flight to Frankfurt. Then completed the journey by renting Doctor Zhivago. 

These films have magical qualities. Epic film-making  :hail:

Edited by zen

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Recently, revisited David Leans films by casually picking up UHD of Bridge on River Kwai. Watched Lawrence of Arabia downloaded on phone on a flight to Frankfurt. Then completed the journey by renting Doctor Zhivago. 

These films have magical qualities. Epic film-making  :hail:

lean was indeed an outstanding filmmaker who excelled in epics. however, I don't like zhivago as much as the other 2. my fav lean films are relatively unknown and hard to get a hold of. they are the opposite of his large-budget epics since they tend to be intimate, family-centric small-scale movies. I am thinking of great expectations and oliver twist, blithe spirit and this happy breed. all of them were made in england. my numero fav of his is "brief encounter". probably my fav ever movie on unrequited love.

lean was a geuine ATG.

24 minutes ago, Vijy said:

lean was indeed an outstanding filmmaker who excelled in epics. however, I don't like zhivago as much as the other 2. my fav lean films are relatively unknown and hard to get a hold of. they are the opposite of his large-budget epics since they tend to be intimate, family-centric small-scale movies. I am thinking of great expectations and oliver twist, blithe spirit and this happy breed. all of them were made in england. my numero fav of his is "brief encounter". probably my fav ever movie on unrequited love.

lean was a geuine ATG.

I have only watched this 3 (from what I can remember) .... It would be hard for me to pick a favorite but if forced to it would probably be Lawrence of Arabia 

Just now, zen said:

I have only watched this 3 (from what I can remember) .... It would be hard for me to pick a favorite but if forced to it would probably be Lawrence of Arabia 

very hard for me to pick between lawrence and kwai as well. sometimes i may pick one, at later times the other.

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

Lawrence and Kwai were classics but felt that Zhivago was poorly edited, still a great film nonetheless. Probably because I had read the translated copy of Pasternak's novel before, I didn't enjoy the movie that much. 

yes, I find the novel to be better. It's rather ironic that Zhivago had, in my opinion as well, rather sloppy editing because David Lean was originally an Editor and one of the ATGs in that business.

Doc Zhivago is Lean's biggest hit, among top 10 grossing films of all time when adjusted for inflation

Bridge on River Kwai would probably be the highest grossing war film when adjusted for inflation

Spoilers ahead

I see Doctor Zhivago as a story of flawed characters. The noble characters, imo, were Tonya and her family but Zhivago betrayed them big time for Lara, who has a list of lovers both pre and post Zhivago.  So for me it was justice to see Zhivago and Lara get seperated in the end. Both got what they deserved. The Zhivago-Lara story was as pathetic as SRK-Rani story, who, unlike Zhivago-Lara, unite in the end,  in "Kabhi Alvida whatever" that not many would care for 

Never the less as a film, Doc Zhivago has great moments (including through cinematography and background score) played out against the backdrop of the  Russian Revolution

Edited by zen