Bengaluru (Bangalore) Royal Challengers

Feed

Team composition will be the key: Charu Sharma, CEO Bangalor Charu Sharma, the CEO-designate of the Bangalore IPL team, on the eve of the players' auction says that nothing more was important than the team composition, reports G.Krishnan More... G. Krishnan, Hindustan Times Mumbai, February 20, 2008 First Published: 09:52 IST(20/2/2008) Last Updated: 09:56 IST(20/2/2008) Charu Sharma, the CEO-designate of the Bangalore IPL team, said here on Tuesday, the eve of the players' auction that nothing more was important than the team composition. While Delhi and Chennai have already named their teams as Delhi Daredevils and Chennai Super Kings respectively, the Bangalore team is not in any such hurry. "We have got a fair amount of work to be done in getting the team in place first," Sharma told HT here. "There has to be some kind of strategy involved. Nothing is more important than the team composition. We have left it (naming of the team) until after the auction. Everything will fall in place gradually after the auction." Sharma will represent the Bangalore Franchise in the Auction Room on Wednesday. IPL and ICC should go together Former International Cricket Council (ICC) match referee and England captain, Raman Subba Row said that the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the ICC should go in the same direction. Asked about his views on the IPL, the 76-year-old related it with the Kerry Packer Series in its nascent stage. He told HT here on Tuesday: "When Kerry Packer started his series in 1977, we (Doug Insole, the then chairman of Test and County Cricket Club, as the ECB was known then, and himself) were reluctant to meet him. But when we met him, we found out that he never wanted to take over cricket. "The Australian Cricket Board (as Cricket Australia was known then) and the world governing body, the International Cricket Conference (as ICC was then known) did not like the idea of us meeting Packer. After four tough months when we were being looked at as traitors, ICC jumped into the bed with the Packer series." Row, an admirer of the traditional form of cricket, said: "I don't know how IPL will come out but you cannot have cricket in bits and pieces. It has to go in one direction along with the ICC."

Royal Challengers Bangalore

l18531527726_8443.jpg

Coach: Ray Jennings Captain: Rahul Dravid Colours: Red and Golden Yellow Founded: 2008 Home Ground: M. Chinnaswamy Stadium Capacity: 55,000 Owner: UB Group CEO: Brijesh Patel Official Website:

Royal Challengers Bangalore

Squad 2009-10 [table="head]No| Player| Category| Cost-US$| Country 19| Rahul Dravid| Batsman ©| $1,035,000| India 09| Mark Boucher| Batsman/WK| $450,000| South Africa 06| S. Chanderpaul| Batsman| $200,000| West Indies 07| Wasim Jaffer| Batsman| $150,000| India 27| Bharat Chipli| Batsman| $50,000| India 66| Devraj Patil | Batsman| $50,000| India 21| Ross Taylor| Batsman| $100,000| New Zealand 36| S.Goswami| Batsman/WK| $30,000| India 03| Jacques Kallis| All Rounder| $900,000| South Africa 05| Virat Kohli| All Rounder| $300,000| India 10| Anil Kumble| Bowler| $500,000| India 13| Nathan Bracken| Bowler| $325,000| Australia 02| Dale Steyn| Bowler| $325,000| South Africa 18| Cameron White| Bowler| $500,000| Australia 77| B.Akhil| Bowler| $50,000| India 03| KP Appanna| Bowler| $50,000| India 14| J.Arunkumar| Bowler| $50,000| India 24| Sunil Joshi| Bowler| $50,000| India 23| Ranganath Kumar| Bowler| $50,000| India 08| Praveen Kumar| Bowler| $300,000| India 41| Abdur Razzak| Bowler| $120,000| Bangladesh -| Robin Utthappa| Batsman| Swap| India -| Kevin Pietersen| Batsman| $1,550,000| England -|Jesse Ryder| Batsman| $160,000| New Zealand [/table]

god save the bangalore team.... i have always found him to be pretty dumb' date=' cricket knowledge wise...[/quote'] Exactly. And look at the team Bangalore has chosen, so far: Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$ 450,000), Mark Boucher (US$ 450,000), Cameron White (US$ 500,000), Wasim Jaffer (US$ 150,000), Dale Steyn (US$ 325,000), Nathan Bracken (US$ 325,000) Did Charu forget that IPL is a T20 tournament??:omg:

Exactly. And look at the team Bangalore has chosen, so far: Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$ 450,000), Mark Boucher (US$ 450,000), Cameron White (US$ 500,000), Wasim Jaffer (US$ 150,000), Dale Steyn (US$ 325,000), Nathan Bracken (US$ 325,000) Did Charu forget that IPL is a T20 tournament??:omg:
apart from kalliz and jaffer.. and to some extent kumble.. all other seem to be good Twenty20 playerz.. cam white is pretty good.. bracket and steyn as bowlerz.. Dravid offcourse he is teh captain, so he would play

Cricket: Crowe takes up coaching role in Bangalore Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe has joined the management structure of the Bangalore Royal Challengers, one of eight franchises contesting the inaugural Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket competition.Crowe, whose... More... 1:22PM Friday February 22, 2008 By Chris Barclay crowe100.jpg Matrin Crowe. Photo / Getty Images Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe has joined the management structure of the Bangalore Royal Challengers, one of eight franchises contesting the inaugural Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket competition. Crowe, whose Cricket Max concept in 1996 was a forerunner to the burgeoning Twenty20 format, joins a high profile list of foreign support staff connected to the IPL, which starts on April 18. Former Australian coach John Buchanan and compatriot, former test allrounder Tom Moody, had already been appointed to coach Kolkata and Mohali respectively. Crowe's primarily role will be marketing the franchise as a "figurehead". India's current bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad - the former international that masterminded India's successful campaign at the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa last September - will have more of a hands-on role. "My job is more of marketing, a figurehead role though I'll probably working closely with Rahul (Dravid) on strategies and how to get the best out of the team," Crowe told the BSport radio network. Crowe was promoted as a useful acquisition by former Australian captain Greg Chappell, who is based in India. "It's a bit of a shock,' said Crowe who was delighted to be considered. "I've always had a thing about the third generation game with Cricket Max and now Twenty20, I'm pretty excited about it." While the player auction was transparent, with each of 78 players' eventual price tag public knowledge, Crowe would not be drawn on his financial package other than to say "it's very good". It included incentives should the Bangalore progress to the yet-to-be determined Champions League - a competition featuring the leading teams from rival Twenty20 tournaments. Crowe likely piqued Bangalore's interest due to his reputation as a cricket innovator and intuitive thinker. As captain he was a prime mover behind New Zealand's surprising march to the 1992 World Cup semifinals, pushing for Mark Greatbatch to open the innings while spinner Dipak Patel caught opponents napping with the new ball. The Bangalore franchise is lead by designated "icon" Rahul Dravid. The batting line-up also features Wasim Jaffer, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Jacques Kallis. Dale Steyn, Zaheer Khan and Nathan Bracken form the basis of the bowling attack. Crowe said he was disappointed Bangalore missed out on Styris, who headed to Hyderabad for ($221,406) a year for three seasons. "I'm disappointed we didn't get Scotty, I thought we could have gone up to $250,000 for him." Instead Australian allrounder Cameron White nabbed the allrounder's spot for US$500,00 - one of the surprising outcomes of Wednesday's US$40 million cash grab. White, the Victorian captain, has played just one Twenty20 international for Australia. Crowe said the auction was often difficult to comprehend. "Some of it was hard to fathom. Someone like (Australian captain Ricky) Ponting going for US$400,000 and David Hussey (Western Australia), who we haven't really seen, goes for a lot more (US$675,000)."

Dravid satisfied with Bangalore squad Rahul Dravid has said that he was happy with the players the Bangalore franchise had procured in the IPL auction, adding that his side had the players who can handle pressure. More... Ajay S Shankar February 22, 2008 251985.jpg Rahul Dravid: "We have players who have played under pressure" © AFP Rahul Dravid is pleased with the players the Bangalore franchise had procured in the IPL auction, and believes his side has the players who can handle pressure. Dravid, the icon for the Bangalore Royal Challengers, played down the talk of his side not buying any big names. "This is an erroneous perception," he told Cricinfo. "The quality of Indian and international players in our team speak for themselves. They may not be glamorous in the areas people typically judge them by, but in terms of cricket they are fantastic and at the end of the day this is a cricket tournament and cricket is what is important. "We are fortunate to have such great players in the side. With them in the squad, we will get so much more experience and ability." Unlike the others, the Bangalore franchise preferred innings builders, like Jacques Kallis, Wasim Jaffer and Shivnarine Chanderpaul, to aggressors. "We have players who have played under pressure," Dravid said, "and therefore are confident that under similar circumstances in the Twenty20 matches, they will perform exceedingly well." Although the franchise bought Anil Kumble, they failed in their bid to purchase Robin Uthappa, another Bangalore-based playing for India. Uthappa, who was bought by the Mumbai franchise for a whopping US$800,000, would have not only provided a balance to Bangalore's batting line-up but his purchase would have helped fill up one slot among the four catchment area players. "As a Bangalore player, I obviously would have liked to have had Robin, who is from our catchment area, in the team," Dravid said. "However, in an auction where there are rules and restrictions, it is not always possible to get every player one wants. "In fact none of the teams were able to get all the players they would have liked to. However, having said that I would like to add that I am excited with the team we have got." On the potentially match-winning bowling attack that his team has lined up - Dale Steyn, Nathan Bracken, Zaheer Khan and Anil Kumble, Dravid said, "The idea was to have a good balance, which is very important for the tournament." Dravid said Australian allrounder Cameron White, whom Bangalore bought for US$500,000 at the IPL auction, was an "exciting" addition. "I think people are getting a bit confused by the price aspect. It's just reflective of the current situation in cricket and what people want. White is a very exciting Twenty20 player and his domestic record [with two Twenty20 hundreds]in Australia is phenomenal. He was always on our wishlist." Asked whether he viewed the 44-day Twenty20 tournament starting in April 18 as a platform to stage a comeback into the India one-day team, Dravid said: "I am not looking at this that way. To be honest, this is something new for all of us. There are so many things you want to experience as a player. Personally, I have seen and experienced a lot over the last 12 years [in international cricket]. Now, I am just so glad that at this point of my career, I will be a part of this new experience." Dravid didn't want to divulge much about the strategies that his side were planning to adopt during the 44-day tournament, set to start on April 18. "It is still too early for me to comment on this. At the moment I am focused on getting fit after my finger injury and preparing for the Test matches against South Africa."

Guest HariSampath

Bangalore is betting everything on its bowling, with Bracken, Steyn, Zaheer and Kumble...I am not sure if they will be able to put up enough on the scoreboard, pretty poor batting lineup for T20...definitely acknowledged by most as one of the weaker sides.

Praveen Kumar for the Bangalore Challengers The confusion surrounding Praveen Kumar, the Uttar Pradesh allrounder, has been put to rest with the player confirming that he was joining the Bangalore Royal Challengers for the forthcoming Indian Premier League. More... Cricinfo staff February 23, 2008 The confusion surrounding Praveen Kumar, the Uttar Pradesh allrounder, has been put to rest with the player confirming that he was joining the Bangalore Royal Challengers for the forthcoming Indian Premier League. Both Delhi and Bangalore had claimed they had snapped Kumar but he clarified to Cricinfo that he would join Bangalore franchise for US$ 300,000. Rajeev Shukla, a vice-president of the Indian board, had said Kumar was to join the Delhi Daredevils but TA Sekar, the cricket operations manager for the Delhi franchise, also confirmed the same. It is learnt that Kumar was first signed up by Bangalore before Delhi entered the picture with a bigger offer. The Bangalore franchise objected and raised a complaint with the IPL governing council. The IPL then stepped in and said that the initial agreement had to be upheld and Bangalore decided to match Delhi's price and rope in Kumar. Kumar is currently part of India's one-day squad that's taking part in the CB Series in Australia. He was the only member of the squad not part of the 77 players included in the IPL pool. Kumar's stocks rose after his fine domestic performances this season and the fact that he fell in the Under-22 category added to his demand.

For someone who hasn't played much limited overs cricket even in the domestic scene, I find it extremely strange that Jaffer was actually put on the IPL roster. Other than Jaffer, the B'lore team looks pretty competitive though it does appear to be the weakest of the lot. I, for one was very impressed with the Mohali team as the auction progressed. For B'lore, Cameron White is a bargain at $500k and I think this guy will be a huge success.

possible rest of the team J. Arun Kumar R. Vinay Kumar B Akhil Bharat Chipli, Devraj Patil, Manish Pandey, Sourav Tiwari K.P. Appanna
Arun Kumar must look forward to his retired life now. With his all-round skills, Raghu would be a good choice. Same goes for Akhil. Hope to see some Goans in the team as well.

Bharat Chipli and Vinay Kumar are doing their IPL chances no harm with their performances in the Ranji ODIs. I would go with the following five players from the catchment area: Bharat Chipli Vinay Kumar C. Raghu Aiyappa Ajay Ratra: Plays for Goa now. A back-up for Boucher is a must since he is sure to be off on SA suty. A good chance for Ratra to get noticed. If Kapugedera is available, he's a good value purchase! He's sure to fetch a lot more when traded during next season.

Bangalore snap up Misbah-ul-Haq Misbah-ul-Haq, the Pakistan batsman, and Indian Under-19 World Cup winning captain Virat Kohli have been bought by the Bangalore Royal Challengers in the second round of the Indian Premier League player auction in Mumbai today. More... Indian Premier League auctions, second round Bangalore snap up Misbah-ul-Haq Cricinfo staff March 11, 2008 Misbah-ul-Haq, the Pakistan batsman, and India's Under-19 World Cup-winning captain Virat Kohli have been bought by the Bangalore Royal Challengers in the second round of the Indian Premier League's player auction in Mumbai on Tuesday. Dimitri Mascarenhas, the England allrounder, was signed on by the Jaipur franchise, making him the first England player to be auctioned at the IPL. There had been a question mark over the participation of English players - excluded from the first round of the auction - in the IPL season, as it overlaps with the beginning of the county season. However, his county, Hampshire, has said it will give Mascarenhas the necessary no-objection certificate. The Jaipur franchise also signed up South African fast bowler Morne Morkel, Australian allrounder Shane Watson, Pakistan left-arm fast bowler Sohail Tanvir and a couple of Indian U-19 players in Taruwar Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja. The Kolkata franchise, now named the Kolkata Knight Riders, has bought two Pakistanis - Salman Butt and Mohammad Hafeez - and two U-19 players in Siddarth Kaul and Iqbal Abdulla. The Australians James Hopes and Luke Pomersbach, have been bought by the Mohali franchise, in addition to two U-19 players in Tanmay Srivastava and Ajitesh Argal. Pradeep Sangwan, the left-arm seamer who impressed in his debut Ranji Trophy season and at the U-19 World Cup, will represent the Delhi Daredevils. Bangalore also signed up Bangladesh left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak and Indian U-19 wicketkeeper Shreevats Goswami.

IPL : 'You need to treat this as a scientific project' Martin Crowe, the chief cricketing officer of the Royal Challengers, speaks about his team's plans and its core values. More... Indian Premier League 'You need to treat this as a scientific project' Sriram Veera March 12, 2008 Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe has a new role. He's now the Chief Cricket Officer of the Bangalore Royal Challengers and will work with modern legends like Jacques Kallis, Rahul Dravid and Mark Boucher. He speaks to Cricinfo about his team's plans and its core values. 281915.jpgMartin Crowe: "You won't see us play a wham-bam kind of play, you will see an intelligent and well-organised kind of cricket" © Getty Images The Bangalore team is perceived to be full of people who are more conducive to Test cricket than Twenty20. What's your take? There is a propensity for the perception that we are here to play five-day cricket! To me, they are very classy, stylish, intelligent cricketers. There are no egos, no controversies surrounding them. They are going to be very solid citizens and it's the kind of players we want our group to be represented by. This is the Twenty20 royal team of the championship. We are going to behave like that, play like that and that describes the bunch we have. So has the way you play influenced the branding or has the branding influenced your planned style of play It starts with the name: Royal Challengers. It's a very regal term and I am sure it was by design the kind of people we chose for the team. Rahul had the vision, he wanted this sort of player and that's why he asked me to come in with this kind of role. You won't see us play wham-bam cricket, you will see an intelligent and well-organised kind of cricket. My role will be to help the youngsters think out of the square and fit in with the vision. It's a branding exercise, it's a marketing exercise and people have to come in to watch not a region but a city franchise. I will be the intermediary between sponsors, team and the fans. What exactly is your job description? I am the chief cricket officer which means I am sort of overseeing the way the team is operating in terms of its thinking, how it can win the tournament and how can it connect with its fan. So it will involve marketing and branding as well. I will work closely with Rahul Dravid in putting strategies in place. It's a group of varied people coming together for the first time and trying to play consistent cricket to win 14 games and qualify for the play-offs. You said your job will involve marketing. Can you elaborate? This is a new exciting concept with a city franchise and not only we want to connect this group of players with the local fans but we want the Royal Challengers to be known all throughout India as a side that is intelligent, classy, stylish and calculated. That will be our brand core. I will be the intermediary between the franchise as a whole, the team and the message from the team to the fans as to how we want them to embrace us. What can a coach do in a Twenty20 format and over a 44-day period? I am not big on coaches. That's why I am not the cricket coach here. I am a big believer in the captain. This will be Rahul's team. Venkatesh Prasad will look after the nets and physical [aspects], while I can help the batsmen, it's going to be a strategic role for me. Prasad has proved himself as a team coach and I will let him handle that side of the things. "My role will be to help the youngsters think out of the square and fit in with the vision. It's a branding exercise, it's a marketing exercise and people have to come in to watch not a region but a city franchise. I will be the intermediary between sponsors, team and the fans" I got a real passion for Twenty20 having done Cricket Max in New Zealand and I have some ideas of how this game can be played. You need to treat this as a scientific project. It's not like a Test match, it's not about durability and concentration over long periods. It's about having lots of small goals and getting everyone strategically positioned. Our aim will be to get more wickets than the opposition. That would mean swinging the ball, great fielding. What is going to be your cricketing strategy? To put simply, it would be to take more wickets than the opposition. Build partnerships, throw in some great fielding, our general attitude and win by our all round skills. In a nutshell, with a scientific approach. The first six overs, with the field up, is when you really get your runs, the next eight overs are the middle overs while the last six will be the death overs. What is the future of Twenty20 and will its success mean the death of 50-over cricket? The game is here to stay; it is the future. What we are seeing a correction in 50-overs cricket. We had a over-saturation of that form, lots of meaningless cricket was being played. This Twenty20 would offset that. I see 50-overs cricket being played over four innings. Four Twenty20 innings and I see this happening in ten years time. One-day cricket would become a mini Test match. There fore Twenty20 becomes the precursor to that eventuality. As of now we have Twenty20 and Test cricket while the one-day game is going through an identity crisis.