Is quitting ODI cricket such a huge drama?

King

Yup am referring to Inzi quitting the ODI cricket. I can understand all this hype if he were quitting international cricket but quitting one day cricket, give me a break. I don't reckon many will care much about his ODI records. No doubt he is a fantastic cricketer and deserves attention but this is way too much hype for someone that has quit ODI cricket. It may just be me perhaps given the importance I attach to test cricket. When he quits international cricket sure he needs terrific reception given his credentials and his contribution to cricket. I may sound very harsh but I'm just speaking my mind.

Re: Is quitting ODI cricket such a huge drama?

Poor timing to say the least.
That is where I'm coming from. Was he trying to get a send off and announced this news way earlier? If he announced this after having played it wouldn't have mattered considering he is still going to hang around and play test cricket.

Re: Is quitting ODI cricket such a huge drama? Initially I thought he had decided to quit before Woolmer's death and the news started leaking. Terrible way to announce this. Could have easily waited to get back home and had a press conference to announce his decision.

Initially I thought he had decided to quit before Woolmer's death and the news started leaking. Terrible way to announce this. Could have easily waited to get back home and had a press conference to announce his decision.
Perhaps he wanted a good reception and send off in his last ODI. You know he is such a simpleton he wouldn't have a clue what is going on around him. You can call him simpleton or dumb depending on how you perceive him.

Initially I thought he had decided to quit before Woolmer's death and the news started leaking. Terrible way to announce this. Could have easily waited to get back home and had a press conference to announce his decision.
Perhaps he wanted a good reception and send off in his last ODI. You know he is such a simpleton he wouldn't have a clue what is going on around him. You can call him simpleton or dumb depending on how you perceive him.
and whats wrong if he wanted a good reception or a send off ? he deserved it, he's played for 15 years. And now I think that his timing was good. He left the team along with Woolmer.

and whats wrong if he wanted a good reception or a send off ? he deserved it, he's played for 15 years. And now I think that his timing was good. He left the team along with Woolmer.
agree with u when u say he deserved it as he played for such long period.. but then disagree when u say it wasn't bad timing.. to be frank he should have stand bold and played for atleast one more year..

Re: Is quitting ODI cricket such a huge drama? Usually it's not a big deal - see what happened with Warne and a few others. Inzamam's a Pakistani though, so it's a big deal in his case. He's in a side that's just crashed and burned miserably in a World Cup campaign, and now with a new coach expected, new selectors and probably board management, nobody knows what his fate will be in 6 months time when Pakistan think about a squad to send to India. The last WC saw a ton of change and ad-hoc head chopping with Inzy losing his place for some time as well. Now he's far older, retirement's not far away and there's the chance that if he just quietly bid farewell to ODIs and expected to resume playing tests soon after, he might find himself at the wrong end of a selection panel of madcaps like Aamir Sohail who might not pick him and effectively end his career. Fair chance something of the sort could happen given his recent struggles with form, the flak he's copped from a lot of people like Wasim Bari re. his leadership, his fitness problems with his back, not to mention the usual Pakistani volatility. He's been too great a servant of the cricketing world to deserve a graceless farewell where he just finds himself left out of a squad like Ian Healy. This way, he at least gets something of a farewell with dignity, while he still has some semblance of control over what's going on - because that most likely will not be the case in a few months with a complete change of people at the helm in Pakistan.

agree with u when u say he deserved it as he played for such long period.. but then disagree when u say it wasn't bad timing.. to be frank he should have stand bold and played for atleast one more year..
There is no point of him playing odi cricket for one more year..its really not his game that much anymore as it requires too much running and stuff these days which inzi is not fit enough for...and even if he plays for 1 more year, whats the point ? its not like he's got a world cup or anything to look forward to..if he retires after 1 year, there will be an empty spot in the pak odi team, which they can fill right now with a new player since they will rebuild and stuff again.