Sachin Speaks Up

Re: Sachin Speaks Up

Has Chappel come out and questioned his attitude publicly? Did his "leaked" SMS to the sportswriter specifically mention Tendulkar? Tendulkar may have spoken a bit too soon... I doubt if the divide between the coach and the players was created overnight. Why is it coming out from the senior players now, after the World Cup debacle, rather than earlier (say after returning from SAfrica)? I can't remember any player whining during the W.Indies or Lanka ODI tours to India earlier this year. In this messy situation I can't tell how much of what Tendulkar says is genuine and how much is plain whining on behalf of insecure cry-babies. All this "India's own son" vs "foreigner" talk is nauseating. I am waiting to see the day when under/non-performing stars and demigods of India can be put on the bench and asked to sit out-- like it happens to under-performing Australian (even Sri Lankan) players of high calibre and proven past excellence. Now that Tendulkar has spoken, let's see what Greg Chappell has to say in his report. The frustrating thing is, there is a little bit of truth and a lot of fluff in what every party has to say. Forming a clear composite picture of the whole thing is a challenge. At any rate, what is clear to me is that the continued retention of under-performing and past-prime players in the team has hurt the performance of the team as a whole. I still can't forget how Tendulkar floundered in a test match against a perfectly ordinary spinner (Paul Harris) in South Africa recently- a country not particularly known as a breeding ground for excellent spinners. Instead of SRT demolishing a rookie spinner, it looked like a rookie batsman facing Shane Warne. Give SRT an all-expenses paid sabbatical and ask him to come back (to test matches only)- for the team's sake the money's worth it.
Hmm aghia82, its been news for quite sometime that the players wanted sachin to represent all of them. I think sachin has kept quiet for a long long time. I am unsure as to when the debacle started, but the bottom line is, vision 2007 was a flop and if the coach is unable to deliver what he promises, he is nothing better than me or you coaching the team. Your question, why has sachin spoken only now. Ganguly spoke as soon as a rift came into the picture. we all know what happened after that incident. Secondly, i think any organization tries to keep its internal squabbles to itself. Coming to the press is the last resort and sachin, unfortunately, had nothing else to do. I cannot recall sachin speaking ill or criticizing any player. In all his tenure as captains ( miserable as they were) he only blamed himself. He is a highly matured individual and for him to come out and speak requires a lot of provoking. Unfortunately, as he rightly put it, things have gone a bit over all our heads. Indian son vs foreign coach issue...it means a lot more than you think it does. It might nauseate you, but the issue is not raised against all foreign coaches. Allan Border , when speaking about the recent gavaskar vs Aussie team debacle, said that the aussies are totally different people. Similarly the indians are different too. Srikanth has been crying hoarse that we are emotional people and need to be handled that way. You cannot go on pointing fingers at every one around you which is precisely what chappell has been doing. Neither did he know, nor care to learn how his behavior was destroying the team's self belief. He cannot make us dance to his tunes nor force us to think on his lines. What works in australia might not work here. I dont think he ever paid heed to the sentiments of the indian team members. finally ur comment - Give SRT an all-expenses paid sabbatical and ask him to come back (to test matches only)- for the team's sake the money's worth it i believe SRT is still our best ODI player who contributes with the bat and the ball. His avgs speak for themselves. I dont understand why he should step down when he has got better averages than most in the world. It is us who have made him a god and expect him to perform miracles every time he takes guard. Lets just treat him as a cricketer with a wealth of experience and someone who can lead the team(if need be) out of this crisis. All said and done, a coach has a 2 year tenure. After that he has no allegiance to the team he is serving. A player represents the team all his life. Let us value the players' sentiments.

i believe SRT is still our best ODI player who contributes with the bat and the ball. His avgs speak for themselves. I dont understand why he should step down when he has got better averages than most in the world. It is us who have made him a god and expect him to perform miracles every time he takes guard. Lets just treat him as a cricketer with a wealth of experience and someone who can lead the team(if need be) out of this crisis. All said and done, a coach has a 2 year tenure. After that he has no allegiance to the team he is serving. A player represents the team all his life. Let us value the players' sentiments.
Exactly.. Everybody says -- Drop Tendulkar. but nobody answere questions - Drop him and pick who ?? And Excellent post by apeeman. He is the first to bring this issue of foreign coach and this might mean much more than we thought before.

Very good post aghia82, asks some very valid questions. Nice articulate writer you are, you should post more often :wtg: I think Sachin is in the firing line from all corners simply because he has choosen to speak here. I can speak for myself and I confirm I'm not singularly targetting him. Wondered why Rahul Dravid or Anil Kumble has not been targeted here? They haven't a word about the coach, team composition et al and rightfully they are spared the tough questions. "What goes on tour must stay on tour". Unfortunately the players haven't heard this old adage.
Thanks, Ravi! I agree, Sachin is speaking for several others here (in addition to his own self), and being the messenger, is risking getting shot. It's a mystery as to where Dravid stands in this whole senior player imbroglio. And Kumble too. I think these two are not among the players for whom Tendulkar has been the spokesperson in the recent communique'. Kumble has been one of India's finest war-horses, and there is no shadow of doubt about his commitment to the team any time. He has quit the one-day form of the game. Barring perhaps Warne and Murali, spinners as a species are somewhat limited in their effect, and endangered in the shorter forms of the game. Kumble must have thought about it in deciding to quit. He has been a long-time "unsung hero" in India, going by the levels of adulation heaped upon some of the other Indian stars who are also the blue-eyed boys of sponsors. Perhaps if the lure of the lucre from sponsors was more, Kumble may also dragged on for as long as he could, and not announced retirement. Just speculating. In response to Bheembhai: Jayasuriya and Matty Hayden have been out and back in-- for lack of performance. I am not holding the Australian system of player selection to be blemishless entirely. I think emerging players even in Australia have had problems penetrating into the team and/or retaining their place. Just catch Andy Bichel over a calm drink or two and ask him :-) At least onec they must have preferred Brett Lee over Andy Bichel as the third pacer option (with McGrath and Gillespie established and in form) even though form/performance favoured Bichel. Michael Hussey also took a while to make his mark. He had to wait until Justin Langer injured himself! So...imperfections abound in every system. However, the deficiencies in the Indian system appear more damaging to India than the imperfections in some of the other locales hurt those respective teams. Shaking loose from god-complexes of "stars" and putting them on the bench when the occasion warrants will be an awesome first step.

Re: Sachin Speaks Up an addition, interestingly i see sachin's performances in ODI's much better than in tests in recent years. Given this fact, why are people still calling for his head in ODI's. If anyone has to say anything, it should be his test performances that should be questioned. This once again goes to show how fickle minded we all are.

Shaking loose from god-complexes of "stars" and putting them on the bench when the occasion warrants will be an awesome first step.
What makes you think the stars have "god-complexes" ?? and that too levelling the allegation against Sachin ? It is isnt that group of sachin supporters in the forum ( like me) would blindly support what he is doing and justify all his performances or the lack of it.. But we have seen the man for 17 years now. We know his commitment , his integrity. That is why it pains us if somebody questions his attitude and commitment.

Shaking loose from god-complexes of "stars" and putting them on the bench when the occasion warrants will be an awesome first step.
What makes you think the stars have "god-complexes" ?? and that too levelling the allegation against Sachin ? It is isnt that group of sachin supporters in the forum ( like me) would blindly support what he is doing and justify all his performances or the lack of it.. But we have seen the man for 17 years now. We know his commitment , his integrity. That is why it pains us if somebody questions his attitude and commitment.
excellent point made marirs. I mean, to an extent even ardent sachin followers are dissapointed when he fails in big matches. But we follow sachin for a reason. He was labelled the best batsment in the world for the reason. i distinctly remember, come 96 : it was sachin, lara and mark waugh the big 3. then it was sachin , tugga then it was sachin hayden then sachin ponting... the one thing that has been steady through all this is sachin. the great don failed too...on many occasions. But no aussie will talk ill of him. Its just us indians, who dont like someone getting a lot of glory. I am really irritated to see a lot of sachin bashers around waiting for opportunities to criticize him. Lets look at history, the same great ricky ponting, who is the darling of the eye to all of us, had a binary series when he came to india in 2001. i think his scores were something like 1,0,0,1,6,0 or something....every player goes through these things and they come out better... i feel that Sachin is india's kohinoor. His value to the team has no bounds. Lets all enjoy him and his game while we can.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Sachin Speaks Up chappel has zero man-management skill.. bad-mouthing people never reaps dividends not even in australia otherwise he might have sthg to shwo for his stint in aussie domestic circuit as coach....... at best he could be a once in a while battin consultant and there is zilch utility for such folk in indian team.. tendulkar knows more than anyone around the world about batting chappal included... then u have gavaskar lurking around.. not every laptop totting guy becomes bob woolmer.. right or wrong chappal ne galat insaan ko poke kya hai he should nto even bother about attending the meeting his ouster is now a foregone conclusiosn.

Re: Sachin Speaks Up aghia82 is on the money. here is my take on this whole "chappell vs the seniors" story: chappell may be a SOB (actually is a SOB), but SRT and co. have shafted us big time this world cup. that to me is the real issue. chappell will be gone in a week's time. what the fuk are we going to do with these larger-than-life big shots who can buy a facking run against chutiya minnows in a tournament as important as the world cup? for those asking who is going to replace the non performing big shots, i ask this question. does it really matter? these guys choked anyways and WILL CHOKE IN THE FUTURE AS WELL. there are no two ways about it. atleast there is hope with the newbies and raina and co. showed us during the 17 game chasing streak and karthick showed us in the 20/20 game. there is hope with the newbies. none whatsover with these over-the-hill seniors. it is time for bcci to kick chappell AND dump some of these "seniors" unless they keep up top performance levels ALL THE TIME. whole years of pi$$ poor performance should not tolerated. in tendulkar's case, the strange thing is, he has been pi$$ poor in tests and has had decent outings (although failing at crucial times) in ODIs. he needs to be dropped from tests ASAP but should continue in ODIs.

Does anyone think there is any fault with them? It is always the next guy. Question to Sachin: Was he mighty pissed that he lost his opening spot and did that cause him to not be in talking terms with Chappell? If so, did it affect his performance in the world cup?
Yoda, NO WAY!! If you have questions, why don't you read John Wright's book where he had mentioned that he had to really labour for few hours before making him speak that he'd bat as an opener. Remember, Sachin was batting at #4 in 2002 and beginning of 2003 also? So was he not annoyed then?
Guest dada_rocks

Does anyone think there is any fault with them? It is always the next guy. Question to Sachin: Was he mighty pissed that he lost his opening spot and did that cause him to not be in talking terms with Chappell? If so, did it affect his performance in the world cup?
Yoda, NO WAY!! If you have questions, why don't you read John Wright's book where he had mentioned that he had to really labour for few hours before making him speak that he'd bat as an opener. Remember, Sachin was batting at #4 in 2002 and beginning of 2003 also? So was he not annoyed then?
well that's a handy sticky for ganguly haters because if sachin is pissed oevr that ergo ganguly is the culprit..so let them have the benfit of conjectures :lmao:

an addition' date=' interestingly i see sachin's performances in ODI's much better than in tests in recent years. Given this fact, why are people still calling for his head in ODI's. If anyone has to say anything, it should be his test performances that should be questioned. This once again goes to show how fickle minded we all are.[/quote'] No Apeeman. It is not ficklemindedness. Tendulkar has nothing left to achieve in ODIs now and he certainly won't play the next WC. So, WHY SHOULD HE PUT HIS BODY UNDER SO MUCH PRESSURE OF AN ODI, which'll be meaningless. On the other hand he has a lot to gain in tests where his performance has been almost poor in last 2-3 years at least. So he should try to regain his supremacy there, win a few matches for the country there and then sign off on a high note!!

Situations are different. I don't think we can draw conclusions based on that one. Also, if he had performed as he did in 2003, no one will care. Since he did a major choke job this time, inquiring minds want to know.

an addition' date=' interestingly i see sachin's performances in ODI's much better than in tests in recent years. Given this fact, why are people still calling for his head in ODI's. If anyone has to say anything, it should be his test performances that should be questioned. This once again goes to show how fickle minded we all are.[/quote'] No Apeeman. It is not ficklemindedness. Tendulkar has nothing left to achieve in ODIs now and he certainly won't play the next WC. So, WHY SHOULD HE PUT HIS BODY UNDER SO MUCH PRESSURE OF AN ODI, which'll be meaningless. On the other hand he has a lot to gain in tests where his performance has been almost poor in last 2-3 years at least. So he should try to regain his supremacy there, win a few matches for the country there and then sign off on a high note!!
I second that. :hmph:

Re: Sachin Speaks Up Frankly speaking i am glad someone has had the guts to speak up against the demi gods.......it will only help the team in the future.The losers like zaheer and agarkars will think twice before they bully youngsters again. Seriously...it was naive to believe that someone like ganguly will come back(a guy who still believes that a man with his record shouldn't have been made to go back to domestic cricket to get his form back) to the team and not do any thing! As for sachin .....he has a good future in bollywood.