Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy

King

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/pakistan/6551181.stm Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy Younis was jostled by fans on his return home from the Caribbean Batsman Younis Khan has turned down the chance to succeed Inzamam-ul-Haq as Pakistan's new captain. Younis, who is about to begin a county contract in England with Yorkshire, is unhappy with the reception the team received after their World Cup exit. The 29-year-old said: "I have always given 100% for my country. "But when your family gets threatning calls and our effigies are burnt and our pictures put on donkeys, I can't lead the team in such circumstances." Inzamam stepped down as skipper after Pakistan were knocked out of the World Cup at the first round stage, but although he is finished with one-day cricket, he hopes to continue his Test career. Younis was the obvious candidate to take over, having been vice-captain since 2005 and having led the team in two Tests and six one-dayers when Inzamam was unavailable. "They offered me the captaincy with full powers. The PCB [Pakistan Cricket Board] said they would also be appointing a strong selection committee to back me up, but I refused after thanking them for their offer," he told the Urdu language Express newspaper. Younis, who described Tests as "real cricket" is also thinking over whether he wants to continue playing limited overs internationals after an unsuccessful time in the Caribbean where he made only 37 runs in three innings.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy I think that is a very good move. As a captain you come under severe pressure and Younis has a very level head. It is the best for him and for Pakistan he doesn't lead. I'm quite sure he can make a lot better captain than Inzi but in the end this is just sports and if you are going to be hassled on every loss there is absolutely no point in taking up the captaincy. To lead well you need to be eager and if there is any little doubt in the head about the consequences of a loss then there is not point in leading.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy just this question --- when your national team is in doldrums , when the coach has died , captain resigned and the board comes and says to you " we want u to lead us back into better times" , Do u put ur hand up and be counted or look for personel reasons to shy away ?

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy When the system sucks, people at every opportunity have a go at you and when you are not going to enjoy the job it is better to say no beforehand. You know with this kind of fear for failure the captains can't really take any brave decisions.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy

When the system sucks' date=' people at every opportunity have a go at you and when you are not going to enjoy the job it is better to say no beforehand. You know with this kind of fear for failure the captains can't really take any brave decisions.[/quote'] Precisely. Fans in Pakistan called for the death of Woolmer and Inzamam after the early exit. Younis knows that it will only take one poor series, or even one poor match for the knives to come out. Whoever takes the Pakistani job will be expected to win from the outset. Excessive pressure. Who do they play next, BTW ?

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy what the heck....Younis should have put his hand up.Sounds like a cry baby...effigies etc are nothing new and dont tell me he didnt face all this before.And if you are so hurt by all that then why not quit altogether.Atleast that will be more genuine.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy I wouldnt be surprised if the death threats were issued by Afridi :hic: YK is a spring chicken. So what sort of reception u thought u are gonna get, for exiting in the first round, mate ? If u are gonna captain India or Pakistan u must be prepared to face the heat from the fans and the board. YK must only worry about the PCB's antics. If they promise to cooperate he has nothing to bit.ch about. He should not worry about the fans & the country, which no one has any control over. Expect the PCB to sit & have a meeting with YK & have him reverse his decision.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy I think the reason is pcb, thats why younis is probably not taking captaincy. He probably wants a couple of players with big attitudes to be dropped, im sure there is something else behind this, it cant be the pressure of fans since thats nothing new.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy Younis Khan is doing Sachin here...will lead with conditions...Sachin 2nd time refused captaincy first..but than he asked BCCI to drop couple of players with stinking attitude and once that was done, he took over.

making afridi captain will be the biggest blunder pcb can do..
I don't think so...i have seen him captain his team in the some of the domestic matches and he has been really good. The only problem is that he is a marginal selection for the test team.
Marginal for the test team?......he is marginal for the 1-day team :shrug:

making afridi captain will be the biggest blunder pcb can do..
I don't think so...i have seen him captain his team in the some of the domestic matches and he has been really good. The only problem is that he is a marginal selection for the test team.
Marginal for the test team?......he is marginal for the 1-day team :shrug:
May be... but in ODIs he can play as a bowler who can bat(slog) so i would always have him in the team.

Re: Younis rejects Pakistan captaincy This is why i admire this guy. What courage, he is practically risking his career. Fans have every right to criticize a player after failure, they can question his determination , demand the player be thrown out of the team but threats, public humiliation is going to far. As an individual if you mess up big time at work would you accept your boss putting a picture of donkey with your name on it outside your cabin ?