Ian Chappell sets new standards for stupidity

He seems hell bent on outdoing himself in each article he writes by writing more and more junk. He now wants the ICC to question and investigate SL's decision to omit their key bowlers in yesterday's match. :wall: :wall:

Well, if the International Cricket Council is at all serious about retaining some credibility in not only this World Cup, but cricket in general, then a few questions have got to be asked of Sri Lanka. Hasn't anyone told Sri Lanka that Australia are hard enough to beat when you play your full strength side? Under Ricky Ponting they have won 19 times in a row at the World Cup and he hasn't been defeated as a captain. You don't need to give Australia, in that sort of form, a start and that's exactly what Sri Lanka did by not picking their best side. I could not believe it and I don't think that anybody that I have spoken to could believe it when Sri Lanka left Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan out of their side. That took the wind out of a game that really did have a lot in prospect, and boy this tournament needs some good, hard-fought close games. The Sri Lankans were quickly in trouble with Nathan Bracken swinging the ball, Glenn McGrath bowling his usual tight line, and three wickets fell in a hurry. Then there was a terrific partnership, probably the only bit of joy in the whole match, a 140-run stand between Mahela Jayawardene and Chamara Silva. They were the two players who passed the half-century mark, and while they were going it looked as though Australia might be put under some pressure. But Brad Hogg seemed to confuse the two partners with his wrist-spinners when they both were going well. First he had Silva caught sweeping and then Jayawardene was brilliantly stumped by Adam Gilchrist. And that was the end of the Sri Lankan challenge; 226 was never going to be enough even if they had their full-strength attack. But certainly with this much-reduced bowling attack it was never going to be enough. Nathan Bracken with 4 for 19 bowled brilliantly both with the new ball and when he came back later in the innings. Shaun Tait took a bit of pounding early on but he did come back to get two wickets. Ponting used him very wisely and he is in very good captaincy form at the moment. McGrath took a couple of wickets and Hogg got two crucial wickets, so the Australians performed very well with the ball. It was a clinical job with the bat. Gilchrist and Mathew Hayden once again got them away to a good start, another half-century partnership to that pair. And Ponting just goes on and on and on making runs. Today he made 66 not out and probably the only time he looked like being out was when there was a chance for a run-out at the bowler's end but it didn't happen. Malinga Bandara, the legspinner coming into the side, got the wicket of Michael Clarke, but Andrew Symonds picked up a half-century and another Australian was in form. It was a poor performance from Sri Lanka, but you cannot expect much else when the selectors don't pick the best side to go into the match against Australia. It was ridiculous, disgraceful and the ICC has got to ask some questions.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/talk/content/multimedia/290871.html?view=transcript

Re: Ian Chappell sets new standards for stupidity

Well, if the International Cricket Council is at all serious about retaining some credibility in not only this World Cup, but cricket in general, then a few questions have got to be asked of Sri Lanka. Hasn't anyone told Sri Lanka that Australia are hard enough to beat when you play your full strength side?
Ridiculous stuff by Ian Chappell. I agree that "resting" players by Sri Lanka is completely against the spirit of the game. As a cricket fan I would expect two great teams to tough it out there, not use this so called strategies. That said what team SL plays is SL's pregotive and not ICC's so what is Ian cribbing about here? xxx

I agree that "resting" players by Sri Lanka is completely against the spirit of the game. As a cricket fan I would expect two great teams to tough it out there, not use this so called strategies.
I dont even think its against the spirit of the game, Lurker. Fine, in an ideal world one would expect it to happen but in an ideal world every match would have importance to. This and many other Super 8s matches are completely meaningless and have no bearing even on the SF lineup let alone the qualifiers. SL doesn't have a bench strength like Aus and in case of a freak injury to Vaas, Murali, or Malinga they have no one to fall back on as we saw in this game. Moreover, Malinga hasn't even recovered completely.

I dont even think its against the spirit of the game' date=' Lurker. Fine, in an ideal world one would expect it to happen but in an ideal world every match would have importance to. This and many other Super 8s matches are completely meaningless and have no bearing even on the SF lineup let alone the qualifiers. SL doesn't have a bench strength like Aus and in case of a freak injury to Vaas, Murali, or Malinga they have no one to fall back on as we saw in this game. Moreover, Malinga hasn't even recovered completely.[/quote'] Shwetabh. Malinga's case is obviously a no-brainer. However resting Vaas and Murali is quite far fetched in my opinion. Take Vaas(its the same for Murali as well) for example. He has played against WI, England, NZ. It kind of defies logic to play your best players against bad teams and not the best team out there. If that was not convincing check when these games were played. SL-WI 30th March SL-Eng 4th April SL-NZ 12th April. SL-Aus(which Vaas didnt play) 16th April. In other words every successive game had atleast 3 days of rest in between. That should be more than enough for a cricketer. In fact such 3 days are luxuries known only in this WC. xxx

However resting Vaas and Murali is quite far fetched in my opinion. Take Vaas(its the same for Murali as well) for example. He has played against WI, England, NZ. It kind of defies logic to play your best players against bad teams and not the best team out there.
Jayawardane has given a detailed explanation (not that he has to). He said that Vaas and Murali are 35 and have been playing a lot of cricket. The team likes to give them rest whenever possible and in this case since they are already is SF, they will rest players as needed till the SF.

Jayawardane has given a detailed explanation (not that he has to). He said that Vaas and Murali are 35 and have been playing a lot of cricket. The team likes to give them rest whenever possible and in this case since they are already is SF, they will rest players as needed till the SF.
Fair enough. Like I said before Vaas and Murali both have atleast 3 days of rest in between successive games, sometimes as much as 8 days. So I personally do not buy this idea of "resting" senior players. I would have bought it if say 5 games were played in 8-10 days. As it so happens these players played 3 games in 15 days or so! Then again it is not my call but Mahela's. xxxxx

Re: Ian Chappell sets new standards for stupidity Intelligent move by SL. They stood nothing to lose int his game. Vaas and Murali are so important to their bowling and an injury to either one of them can put on hold whole nation's WC aspirations. Chappell just got some meat to write about means nothing.

It was a poor performance from Sri Lanka, but you cannot expect much else when the selectors don't pick the best side to go into the match against Australia. It was ridiculous, disgraceful and the ICC has got to ask some questions.
That is one piece of junk. You can express your thoughts but asking ICC to interfere in selection matters is beyond me. Ian Chappell must be one of the worst writers going around. I have said before and I say it again, some of the Indian cricketers feel he is an outright racist. It is up to Sri Lanka what team they pick. If they lose or win they are answerable not freakin Ian Chappell. Wonder what Chappell had to say about Steve Waugh's go slow tactics in 1999 world cup. I'm sure he would have defended that. If you see an article with Ian Chappell author you know what to do, press ?Go Back one page? in your browser. The last article he wrote mentioned Greg Chappell quit after Woolmer?s murder citing fear of safety. Greg Chappell couple of days later denied having said that. Looks like his own brother doesn?t agree with his views. Ian Chappell comes across as a liar cum bitter old man that has lost semblance.

Re: Ian Chappell sets new standards for stupidity If SL rested only Murali then there is some merit to the thought that they wanted to deny the Aussies practise, as Murali is their prime weapon, against them. But resting Vaas too, esp, in Malinga's absence makes it very very clear that they wanted Aussies to secure the no. 1 spot. SL has played NZ many times recently & has won consistently. They want NZ in the semis. Thats their best chance to get to the finals. This is the only logical explanation for what they did.

If SL rested only Murali then there is some merit to the thought that they wanted to deny the Aussies practise, as Murali is their prime weapon, against them. But resting Vaas too, esp, in Malinga's absence makes it very very clear that they wanted Aussies to secure the no. 1 spot. SL has played NZ many times recently & has won consistently. They want NZ in the semis. Thats their best chance to get to the finals. This is the only logical explanation for what they did.
Thats not a bad ploy either! Maybe they indeed want to avoid Australia in the semis since thats a knock out match. Every team will try to optimise its strength to win the WC and if SL thinks its by avoiding Australia in semis, whats wrong in that!!

If SL rested only Murali then there is some merit to the thought that they wanted to deny the Aussies practise, as Murali is their prime weapon, against them. But resting Vaas too, esp, in Malinga's absence makes it very very clear that they wanted Aussies to secure the no. 1 spot. SL has played NZ many times recently & has won consistently. They want NZ in the semis. Thats their best chance to get to the finals. This is the only logical explanation for what they did.
Thats not a bad ploy either! Maybe they indeed want to avoid Australia in the semis since thats a knock out match. Every team will try to optimise its strength to win the WC and if SL thinks its by avoiding Australia in semis, whats wrong in that!!
I agree- they would rather go to the finals

murali and vaas both are playing in Ireland game.. :lmao: :lmao:
Yep considering that Vaas and Murali not only played but also bowled, both 5 overs plus, picking a total of 5 wickets, it is prudent to suggest now that Mahela's comment about injury scare to senior players was nothing but hogwash. Hindsight 20/20 and all Ian Chappell was not way off the mark then. I mean SL's effort ultimately did make a difference in the way semi-final schedule shaped up ultimately. On a related note: Why is losing a game by resting key players termed as strategy while losing a game for money termed as match fixing?? I mean if in the end the idea was to lose a game why should it matter? :chin: