Muralitharan eyes world record in Warne's backyard

King

Muralitharan will tour Australia this year amid the possibility of being crowned Test cricket's most successful bowler. More... Muralitharan eyes world record in Warne's backyard AFP COLOMBO, July 2: Muttiah Muralitharan said on Monday he will tour Australia later this year amid the possibility of being crowned Test cricket's most successful bowler on Shane Warne's home soil. The Sri Lankan's 683 wickets leave him just 25 short of equalling the retired Australian leg-spinner's world record tally of 708. With two more Tests of the ongoing home series against Bangladesh still left, the 35-year-old could head to Australia in November within striking distance of surpassing Warne. Muralitharan said he will be available for the two Tests against the world champions in Brisbane (November 8-12) and Hobart (Nov 16-20), and even hinted the milestone may be achieved there. "I am looking forward to playing in the Test matches and maybe it (the record) will happen there, but the main focus is winning the series, which we have not done in Australia," he said. Muralitharan has endured a controversial relationship with Australian cricket ever since he was called for throwing by local umpire Darrell Hair during Sri Lanka's tour Down Under in 1995-96. Two years later, another Australian umpire, Ross Emerson, called Muralitharan during a One-day series there, prompting a bio-mechanical analysis of his bowling action at the University of Western Australia in Perth. The International Cricket Council cleared Muralitharan's action, but Australian crowds were unconvinced and continued to jeer the off-spinner whenever he took the field. Muralitharan refused to play Sri Lanka's Test series in Australia in 2004 in protest at being branded a chucker by Australian Prime Minister John Howard earlier in the year. Howard, a self-confessed "cricket tragic," said when asked if Muralitharan threw: "Yes, they proved it in Perth too with that (biomechanics video) thing." Muralitharan confirmed he did not tour Australia in 2004 because of Howard's remarks. "I was disappointed with what the Australian Prime Minister said," he said ahead of the second Test against Bangladesh starting at the P. Sara stadium on Tuesday, adding that he was hurt by the comments. Muralitharan said he was ready for more taunts from Australian crowds during November's Test series. "I have gone there a couple of times since the 2004 series," he said. "People were shouting, saying various things, but that's Australia. "They will still shout, but you have to be mentally tough." Former Australian cricketer Tom Moody, who coached Sri Lanka for two years before returning home last month, confessed he was embarrassed by the way Muralitharan was treated in Australia. "It's the only situation we find in the whole of the cricketing world where we have this disgraceful slant on a cricketer," Moody told The Australian newspaper last month. "My take on it, and I hope I'm right, and I've shared this with Murali, is that it's Australia's nature to show that response in a way of respect.

I think it will be befitting for Murali to surpass Warnie's record in Australia. I think it won't be easy for him in Australia though. As the Aussies showed in the WC finals they can put his attack to sword.

Will depend largely on his hauls in the next 2 Tests. He averages a bit over 8 wickets per Tests against the Banglas. If he performs to script, he'll take 16 or 17 wickets leaving him less than 10 to get in 2 Tests against the Aussies. He has only 8 wickets from 3 previous Tests in Australia @ 63.12 runs per wicket but that's a fairly small sample and 2 of those Tests were over 10 years ago. His overall record against Australia, whilst still good (55 wickets @ 31.41 from 11 Tests), is a fair way under his overall record.

The greatest bowler the world has ever known thoroughly deserves this record. Pity Sri Lanka doesnt play as many tests as Australia and their next 4 years test schedule is pretty light. I sure hope Murali finds enough motivation to stick around another 5-6 years and take over 1000 test wickets.

The greatest bowler the world has ever known thoroughly deserves this record. Pity Sri Lanka doesnt play as many tests as Australia and their next 4 years test schedule is pretty light. I sure hope Murali finds enough motivation to stick around another 5-6 years and take over 1000 test wickets.
u go boy.....:congrats:

i hope he does that. there is nothing more satifying than reading an article written by a frustated ex-aus player(captain) where his only focus is to prove how an aus player(s) record in cricketing terms is better than actual record create by sub-continent players. Some how bradmans centuries are far better than ones scored by Sunny/Sachin because bradman was great and he only played against england. Hmmmm Warne is better because murli only takes wicket against BD/Zim doesnt matter if murli will end up taking 150 more wickets than warne. hmmm Ponting is better than Sachin because he weighs less.. hmmmm