Solid middle order weighs on Yuvraj

King

The Punjab all-rounder admits it will be tough breaking into the Test side with the likes of Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman in the middle order. More... July 16, 2007 22:11 IST Last Updated: July 16, 2007 23:33 IST Yuvraj Singh [Images] is depressed at the thought of not being part of the team for the first Test against England [Images] despite scoring a fighting half-century in the tour match against England Lions. The left-hand all-rounder played a vital innings of 59, adding 140 runs for the fifth wicket with Sachin Tendulkar [Images] (171) to rescue the Indians after they were reduced to 65 for 4 at one stage. But reminded he could still not make the first eleven despite that fine knock, he replied: "Yeah, I mean, it's tough; we all know that it's tough to get into the middle order. I have had a lot of disappointments for a couple of years." He was also quick to admit that it is fair that senior players are given preference ahead of him, since they have more experience. "I also know that the guys ahead of me have played a lot of Test cricket; they are more experienced. So I will wait for my chance. As I said, whatever game I play, I am looking forward to it." The 25-year-old last played a Test for India against the West Indies [Images] in Kingston [Images] last year, as India won by 34 runs to register their first series triumph in the Caribbean after nearly 35 years. A packed middle order that includes the likes of Rahul Dravid [Images], Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly [Images] and VVS Laxman meant he could only get a chance in the event of injury to any of those celebrated names. But he is hopeful of getting at least one Test on his first-ever trip to England with the Test side. "It is an important tour in my life. First time I am in England for the Test matches. Last time I broke a finger and had to return after the one-dayers. These are very important games for me, as you never know when you will tour England again," Yuvraj said. Indeed, there could be a small chance for him to break into the team for the Lord's Test, beginning July 19, as the team management may well decide to drop Wasim Jaffer after his poor showing in the two warm-up games and pick the left-hander in his place. But Yuvraj does not seem particularly interested in batting at the top of the order, something he has been unsuccessful at in the past. "That question hasn't arisen yet. We will see before the Test match what the team management hasn't decided on it, so I don't want to comment on it," he said. The 25-year-old has played 19 Tests since making his debut in 2003 and is hoping to add to the tally in the three-Test series here. There is no better sight in world cricket than watching Yuvraj in full flow. Cricket fans in England are hoping to witness at least one great innings from the Punjab batsman.

I think he should open . Sehwag never opened before and we all know how successful he was considering the fact that and he happens to have a healthy average of 50 in test cricket. Also, other than the drawn test against Australia in Chennai , I believe he has never been given a chance to open in test cricket. So , In my opinion , not a bad idea to consider Yuvraj as a opener. And we surely could use a break considering the fact that we have only grafters and sheet anchors in the top order now.