Pietersen puts Tendulkar in the shade

King

Cricket: Kevin Pietersen chose Sachin Tendulkar's farewell Lord's Test appearance to announce himself as a worthy successor as the world's best batsman and put England on course for victory in the opening npower Test. For the last 18 years of Tendulkar's illustrious Test career he had few rivals to his crown or his record, which has included over 10,000 runs and 37 centuries, but never a century at the home of cricket136173406More... Monty and KP go for the KO against India England 298 & 282 v India 201 & 137-3 By PAUL NEWMAN - More by this author » Last updated at 22:05pm on 22nd July 2007 commentIconSm.gif Comments A tale of two celebrations, the wonderfully unbridled joy of Monty Panesar following the triumphant vindication of Kevin Pietersen, left England in sight of a famous victory at Lord's after another day of almost Carnoustie-like drama and entertainment. Only yet another intervention from the elements can today spoil this absorbing first npower match — and the forecast is not good — with Michael Vaughan well placed to lead England to their fourth successive Test victory since he returned from serious injury. Scroll down to read more: montypAP2207_468x514.jpgLording it: Panesar celebrates on dismissing Tendulkar Read more...

India would have to create history by reaching 380 to deny England and, with the combined genius of Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar already dispatched, much will depend on the other members of their exalted but ageing middle order — Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman. India, with three wickets gone, need another 243 to achieve the highest successful fourth innings run chase at Lord's. It was the reaction of the principal characters to the only century so far of what has been a surprisingly low scoring match and the key wicket, when England attempted to apply the kill, that encapsulated a terrific and welcome day of top quality cricket. Pietersen was taken aback by the reaction to his criticism of an undoubtedly overcrowded international calendar last week and his declaration, made in Sportsmail, that he felt exhausted. He will be even more tired now after expending so much energy on a fist pumping, animated display of emotion that greeted his ninth Test century, and third at Lord's. Pietersen's 134 was a masterful display of batting which not only brought to an end his run of relatively poor scores since being struck on the head by Dwayne Bravo in the third Test against West Indies at Old Trafford, but which should also win this Test for England. Yet by the close of a blessedly uninterrupted day, the great showman had been upstaged by the latest instalment in the incredible story of Panesar's rise to the very top of the game so soon after being the man that Duncan Fletcher was so reluctant to pick. Not only has Tendulkar always been Panesar's hero, but he also became his first Test victim in Nagpur last year at the start of Monty's journey of spinning discovery. Now, with the 'Little Master' applying himself diligently to his last chance of scoring a Test century at Lord's, Panesar struck again. India had already lost Wasim Jaffer, who clipped the reborn Jimmy Anderson straight to midwicket, and Dravid, perhaps unlucky to be adjudged lbw by Simon Taufel off Chris Tremlett, in their pursuit of what would be only the second successful chase in excess of 300 on this famous old ground. pietersenG2207_468x620.jpgKP’s leap of faith: Pietersen roars in triumph Now came the most significant blow of all. Panesar struck Tendulkar on his pad, well forward, in line with the off-stump and then, after the delayed finger of fate was raised by Steve Bucknor, took off on a childlike skipping run of excited celebration that looked likely to end in the Tavern Stand before Paul Collingwood caught him. Tendulkar left here surely for the last time in a Test, for just 16, to a standing ovation. If it proves to be the moment that leads to England going one up in this three-match series, then Panesar's gallop really will become the image of this sodden and, until now, largely forgettable summer. But there could yet be a twist in the tale. Ganguly made a hundred here on debut 11 years ago and is still doing his bit for India's cause, despite many expecting him to flounce away to a life of luxurious retirement once he had been replaced as Indian captain by Dravid. The 'prince' of Calcutta has fought hard to firstly retain and then maintain his place in this India side and here he embarked on an unbroken stand of 53 with the feisty Dinesh Karthik, unbeaten on 56, that gives India an outside chance of joining the 1984 West Indians in successfully chasing more than 300 at Lord's. tendulkarDM2207_468x676.jpgFinal walk: Tendulkar leaves, dismissed by Panesar In truth, Ganguly's resistance was not without alarm nor incident, Panesar giving him several anxious moments by aiming for the rough outside the left-hander's off-stump, once, on 12, almost having him caught bat-pad by a diving Ian Bell. The former captain was also cast in the unlikely role of peacemaker when he stopped Karthik from remonstrating with Bucknor after Matt Prior's constant chirping had climaxed with him telling the diminutive Karthik that it would be better for all concerned if he got out and left the stage to Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Ganguly told Karthik to get on with the game but he made sure he came to his teammate's defence by exchanging words with Vaughan as the teams left the field. England's position of authority was earlier achieved almost solely by Pietersen after they had resumed on 77 for two, 174 ahead. He saw Vaughan and Collingwood depart within four balls to the impressive RP Singh, who finished with five for 59, but, with the match in the balance, changed gears from watchful to overdrive in an explosive hour after lunch in which England added 90 runs. It was a burst that lifted England from 132 for five to 282 all out. At one stage 32 runs came off just three overs with Prior, Pietersen's partner in a stand of 119, failing to face a ball. England's and one of the world's best batsmen hit Anil Kumble for a magnificent straight six to go to 99 and then, two balls later, came the boundary which brought up a truly great hundred. But it was still no match for Monty.

KP rates ton "number one" Kevin Pietersen hit his ninth Test hundred and cast it as the best of the lot as England pushed for npower Test victory over India at Lord’s. Pietersen stroked 134 runs. More... KP rates ton "number one" Kevin Pietersen hit his ninth Test hundred and cast it as the best of the lot as England pushed for npower Test victory over India at Lord’s. Pietersen got a real working over early in his innings but flourished in emphatic manner to hit 134 - an effort he rated better than his Ashes-clinching 158 at the Brit Oval or his double century against West Indies earlier this summer. He was the penultimate wicket in England’s second-innings score of 282, which left India with a 380-run target. India have already lost star duo Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar and resume on Monday, weather permitting, on 137 for three. England’s quest for a fourth Test win in a row was set up a stunning change in pace from Pietersen, whose first 16 runs occupied 58 deliveries. The next 87 came from only 90, including a manic spell which saw him charge through the 90s in just three balls - including a straight six off Anil Kumble - and sparked a frenzy of punching the air and saluting fiancee Jessica Taylor in the crowd. “That was right out of the top drawer,” Pietersen said, of his effort. “I would probably rate that as number one. “The conditions were as testing as I have had in international cricket last night and this morning. “You could see by my celebrations how happy I was because that really was a difficult time for batting. “After lunch the conditions were a bit better, their bowlers were a bit more tired and there was an opportunity for us to go through the gears to get a total to set the Test match up.” Pietersen came into this series opener claiming he was mentally fatigued after non-stop cricket since the start of the World Cup. But he insisted he would never let his desire to play for England waver. “Every single time I turn up for a training session, every single time I turn up for an international I will never ever shy away,” he said. “I am committed to everything I do for this country, everything I do for this team, to win a Test match, to win a one-day game. “I have never asked for a day off ever. As long as I am asked to play for England I will play for England and that is the bottom line.” India appeared to be in a strong position when three quick wickets from Rudra Pratap Singh left the hosts 132 for five but not for the first time Pietersen countered. “He is a very good batsman who hits hard, so it’s a real challenge for any bowler,” said Singh. “I just tried to change my pace or bowl a few bouncers at him.” Former captain Sourav Ganguly showed his stomach for the fight in the final session to finish unbeaten on 36 alongside Dinesh Karthik (56 not out).

I play for England, 'not KP' KEVIN Pietersen blasted the India attack at Lord's then turned on the media for questioning his commitment to England today (AEST). More... I play for England, 'not KP' From Julian Guyer in London July 23, 2007 KEVIN Pietersen blasted the India attack at Lord's then turned on the media for questioning his commitment to England today (AEST). Pietersen denied he "plays for himself", and said there could be no question over his commitment following a Lord's century which set up England's first Test victory bid. Pietersen's 134 was the cornerstone of England's second innings 282 which left India needing to chase down 380, the fourth highest fourth innings Test victory total in history, to go 1-0 up in the three-match series. It closed on 3-137, needing a further 243 tonight (AEST) for a dramatic win. Earlier this month, Pietersen said he felt exhausted after being involved throughout England's Champions Trophy, Ashes and World Cup campaigns before this season's home Test and one-day series with West Indies. But he is adamant it is wrong to interpret those comments as an unwillingness to play international cricket. "What you guys (the press) should know is that every single time I turn up for a training session, every single time I turn up for an international, I'll never ever shy away from anything," said the 27-year-old after compiling his first Test hundred against India, his third this season alone, and ninth in 28 matches at this level. "I'm committed to everything I do for this country, everything I do for this team, to win a Test match, to win a one-day game," said the South Africa-born batsman. "I simply answered a simple question which I was asked last week and it got blown up. I've never shied away from anything. I'll always turn up for England. I've never asked for a day off, ever, in terms of an international. As long as I'm asked to play for England I'll play, that's the bottom line." Pietersen, often portrayed to his annoyance as a selfish loner, added: "I play to entertain, to enjoy myself, to express myself but the most important thing is setting the team up to win a Test match. That's why I gave my wicket away this afternoon trying to get a few more runs. "If I was playing for myself, I could quite easily have been batting now. I definitely put the team first," said Pietersen after facing 213 balls with one six and 14 fours. Before the close England dismissed India captain Rahul Dravid and fellow star batsman Sachin Tendulkar for just nine and 16 respectively, but Sourav Ganguly, dropped on 12,is still there on 36 with opener Dinesh Karthik on 56. Just after the close, Pietersen appeared to intervene as England captain Michael Vaughan and Ganguly exchanged cross-words. Pietersen said: "There was no peace-keeping at all. Cricket is a tough game played by tough competitors. He (Ganguly) is a tough competitor, Michael's a tough competitor and this was just an exchange of words which happen all day every day on a sports field."

That doesn't mean Tendulkar can't bat Sriram. He doesn't have to be "THE BEST" in the world all the time. Of course Tendulkar isn't the best bat since few years now. Neither is Rahul Dravid since about the last year but they still are good enough. They have had their moments at the top and now it is Pietersen's turn.

Ravi , batsman dont retire only when they cant bat anymore at all. They have to retire when it is obvious that they cant make a positive difference to the team in the short and medium term. Tendulkar will be good enough to make a century even at 40 , but i reckon even he will reconsider things after this series.

Get used to it Sriram' date=' Tendulkar ain't going to retire for the next 3-4 years whatever his form.[/quote'] Then i am afraid , He has to be dropped. And well , he was dropped for the Bangladesh ODI series, setting aside all the " Sachin is rested" claims. Anyways , lets wait till the series gets over before making definitive calls.
There is no bowler/country/team which can claim to have had Pietersen's number. Considering the fact that he has not played a single minnow test in his career' date= that's a phenomenal achievement.
Mohammed Asif might have something to say about that. Watch the two videos below oMYYoqUAKM8 3O99K7SOg7Y
Pietersen has played a grand total of one test against Pakistan with Asif in the ranks and scored 0 and 96. How does that count as having Pietersen's number?
I am not saying Pietersen is Asif's bunny. There was a time , when Asif dismissed Pietersen for like 3-4 first ball ducks in one month. I was just alluding to that.

don't lose hope......Tendulkar is back into a positive mindset. People fail, so does he. He will prove everyone wrong in the coming test matches. As far as tomorrow...we can win this thing. Kartik and Gangu gotta get 100s and it's possible. Let's go India! Hindustan Zindabad!

don't lose hope......Tendulkar is back into a positive mindset. People fail, so does he. He will prove everyone wrong in the coming test matches. As far as tomorrow...we can win this thing. Kartik and Gangu gotta get 100s and it's possible. Let's go India! Hindustan Zindabad!
No offense meant, so please to not mistake me :teeth_smile: But, seems like you have not watched India over the last 2 years :P