What's wrong with Kumble's batting?

Yeah yeah I know we have more important batting worries to sort out etc. etc. but Kumble has always been a very useful number 8 over the years. More so, over the past couple of years he had done even better with the bat playing crucial knocks at Kingston, Mumbai, Mohali, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai etc.which at times were crucial to the result of the match. His batting has been pathetic since the South Africa series and as it wierd as it sounds to say about a number 8 batsman, I feel it is crucial that he starts contributing some runs again as the success of our number 6 and number 7 batsmen depends a lot on this guy's contribution. He has made 38 runs @ 4.8 since the South Africa series from 9 innings. For perspective, he had 261 runs @ 29.0 in 9 innings before that.

Kumble has this weird problem.- His bat goes where his pad is supposed to go and his pad goes where the bat is supposed to go. And whether the ball is short, full , wide, quick or slow , he has only one reaction - Plonk the front foot forward and hope you dont get out.

Kumble has this weird problem.- His bat goes where his pad is supposed to go and his pad goes where the bat is supposed to go.
Haha. I had thought the same. It does appear that Kumble gets caught in a weird mindset where he almost takes his pad as a bat.

I was wondering the same about zaheer's batting... he has enough skills to stick around or hit around.. but seems like he is not applying either.. As for Kumble, yes after playing for more than 10 years, he needs to avg more.. but I will wait till the end of the series..

More so, over the past couple of years he had done even better with the bat playing crucial knocks at Kingston, Mumbai, Mohali, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai etc.which at times were crucial to the result of the match.
Irony here is Kumble always does well with the bat at home as against abroad!. In fact , his batting ave at home is 22.80 versus 12.27 overseas. So , I guess it's no surprise to me that he is not doing well so far in this series . Also, the fact his reflexes are definitely slower than what it was couple of years ago and it is affecting his footwork. He has no feet movement whatsoever. Sad , considering the fact that he was no rabbit with the bat in domestic circuit.

My only complaint is regarding his selection of willow. Why does he use an English made Gunn and Moore ? Who does he think he is, Michael Vaughan ? Indian batsmen don't use crappy GM's ! If he used a proper Indian bat, ie; an SS or an SG, he would have scored 150. The BCCI should fine Kumble 25% of his match-fee for committing this cardinal sin

terrific innings.... i am really happpy for him.... on a side note, if we came up with certain guidelines while evaluating an allrounder, as has been done before while comparing batting allrounders like Sobers with bowling allrounders like kapil or botham, where would Kumble fit in.... i believe, Warnie, Kumble, Akram will be in the thereabouts...i will open a thread on it sometime later....

on a side note, if we came up with certain guidelines while evaluating an allrounder, as has been done before while comparing batting allrounders like Sobers with bowling allrounders like kapil or botham, where would Kumble fit in.... i believe, Warnie, Kumble, Akram will be in the thereabouts...i will open a thread on it sometime later....
I think Kumble is better than Warne and Vaas but worse than Akram and Alan Davidson. Better than Malcolm Marshall and Jason Gillespire, worse than Heath Streak and Abdul Razzak. Better than the likes of John Bracwell and John Emburey but worse than Brett Lee and Daniel Vettori. PS: The above ranking is purely in terms of batting abilities.
I think Kumble is better than Warne and Vaas but worse than Akram and Alan Davidson. Better than Malcolm Marshall and Jason Gillespire, worse than Heath Streak and Abdul Razzak. Better than the likes of John Bracwell and John Emburey but worse than Brett Lee and Daniel Vettori. PS: The above ranking is purely in terms of batting abilities.
i meant more like, converting wickets to runs, or vice versa and combine them all before ranking them.... i dont recall the way, but using a similar method, Sobers was ranked as the greatest allrounder though his bowling record is very very ordinary....
i meant more like' date=' converting wickets to runs, or vice versa and combine them all before ranking them.... i dont recall the way, but using a similar method, Sobers was ranked as the greatest allrounder though his bowling record is very very ordinary....[/quote'] I see what you are saying Gator, but that would be too statistical driven and would help players of the modern era, what with Kumble having as many wickets as he has. Sure you can bring in strike rate, average etc but that would render it even more statistical. To be fair I wouldnt put Kumble in my list of all-rounders. I would put him in my bowlers who could bat a bit list. Players like Kumble, Vaas, Warne, Marshall, Streak, Akram etc shall fall under it. xxx
i meant more like' date=' converting wickets to runs, or vice versa and combine them all before ranking them.... i dont recall the way, but using a similar method[b'], Sobers was ranked as the greatest allrounder though his bowling record is very very ordinary....
First of all i don't think his bowling stats are all that bad plus people who faced him say that he was a much better bowler than his stats(much like Kapil and Wasim).