Lara V Tendulkar

I had same issue Sabby. As an Indian I wanted it to be Tendulkar but I saw the way Lara went about his innings and he had immense control and pressence. He could pick off bowlers at will, much more daring. Tendulkar has been nurdling the last decade in tests whereas Lara got big scores despite taking more risks. His flair no one could compare with. As a young kid I wasn't really aware of stats, just used to watch and Lara > Tendu.
yep..exactly it was jsut fun to watch him bat... he had just something special..those straight sixes,his bat lift the way he charged the bowlers..made u sit there and watch seriously i cant explain u like things.. u dont think abt them :--D
Why so? Tendulkar is a better match winner than Lara, has better stats than Lara, has performed everywhere. The fact that Lara is better than Tendulkar is a myth.
idk..i jsut liked watching him bat more..and also he played some unbelievable innings and when on song he dominated everybody.. and with such flair technically tendulkar at his best is flawless but lara was more fun :dance:
i am gonna get banned now from this *****y website' date=' so my last post let me remind u. India sucks ****.. never won a series in australia or south africa. EIGHT- ZERO.. LMFAO 8-0[/quote'] I hope you don't get banned....we need morons like you from time to time so that everyone can feel better about themselves lol.. There you go you wanted attention you got it
yep..exactly it was jsut fun to watch him bat... he had just something special..those straight sixes,his bat lift the way he charged the bowlers..made u sit there and watch seriously i cant explain u like things.. u dont think abt them :--D idk..i jsut liked watching him bat more..and also he played some unbelievable innings and when on song he dominated everybody.. and with such flair technically tendulkar at his best is flawless but lara was more fun :dance:
He murdered spinners. I know it's natural and you don't think about it, sometimes that is the best way to see who is more talented/elegant, without complicating it. My fav bit of Lara was high backlift and back leg moving across initially.
He murdered spinners. I know it's natural and you don't think about it' date=' sometimes that is the best way to see who is more talented/elegant, without complicating it. My fav bit of Lara was high backlift and back leg moving across initially.[/quote'] i rememb his hundreds against england he played so many gr8 cover drives and they went to boundary so quickly on slow track and ya even i dont like to complicate these things.. thread asked for my opinion i gave it hope im not bashed ;P
He murdered spinners. I know it's natural and you don't think about it' date=' sometimes that is the best way to see who is more talented/elegant, without complicating it. My fav bit of Lara was high backlift and back leg moving across initially.[/quote'] Lara was amazing to watch on his day and probably the top 5 bats of this generation but he was no where as consistent as say SRT,Ponting across all formats for a prolonged period of time. He wasn't very consistent and also his reputation is enhanced due to the purple patch he had at the early part of his career....Not downplaying him as he was still one of the best.If you comment as a viewer he would be along with SRT but if you think purely as a critic I would have to rate him below Ponting and even Kallis

People like to portray Lara as the lone man on a burning deck but he had the service of very decent batsmen around him. Chanders is an ATG. Sarwan, Gayle, Hooper, Padams and Riche Richardson were around in different stages and they all have OK to above OK records. Secondly, Lara's greatest days as a batsman came from the 2000s onwards, statistically. This was the same decade when a lot more batsmen averaged 50. Lara had a very poor record against India, both at home and in India. His 4th innings record is actually lesser than Tendu's although he has scored some amazing knocks. And yet, Lara remains the more watchable batsman because he was exciting, there was the promise of scoring really big and when he was in full flow, he bashed everyone. The only thing he lacked was consistency. In ODIs, he had a stellar start to his career, but the game wasn't really designed for him since he wasn't as adept at rotating the strike and pinching singles like Tendu was. In ODIs Tendu was the better player. Since the topic is simply "Lara vs Tendullkar" and not just about their batting, we also have to factor in Teenda's bowling in ODIs which lends him a further usefulness.

i rememb his hundreds against england he played so many gr8 cover drives and they went to boundary so quickly on slow track and ya even i dont like to complicate these things.. thread asked for my opinion i gave it hope im not bashed ;P
Same, I have actually been meaning to bring up Lara for a while now, hope Tendu fanboys don't get too mad. Yeah we used to get good coverage of those matches. Once I remember he made a single of Flintoff's ball, it was all the way outside off and full, he didn't move feet or anything, and flicked through the leg side. Flintoff was shocked and the commentator said that is an awful lot of effort just for one run. But that is Lara for you :two_thumbs_up:
Lara was amazing to watch on his day and probably the top 5 bats of this generation but he was no where as consistent as say SRT,Ponting across all formats for a prolonged period of time. He wasn't very consistent and also his reputation is enhanced due to the purple patch he had at the early part of his career....Not downplaying him as he was still one of the best.If you comment as a viewer he would be along with SRT but if you think purely as a critic I would have to rate him below Ponting and even Kallis
For me this is how it is Lara> Tendulkar > Ponting Then below the 3 modern greats you have Kallis and Dravid on a par. Kallis and Dravid cannot be in the top bracket because although their style of batting is in itself a talent, the other 3 could do more things with their bat.
Same, I have actually been meaning to bring up Lara for a while now, hope Tendu fanboys don't get too mad. Yeah we used to get good coverage of those matches. Once I remember he made a single of Flintoff's ball, it was all the way outside off and full, he didn't move feet or anything, and flicked through the leg side. Flintoff was shocked and the commentator said that is an awful lot of effort just for one run. But that is Lara for you :two_thumbs_up:
haha i have seen many thingsl ike this one handed sixes in australia :cantstop: anyway i dont think any one owuld have problem.. its just the v in the title it reminds me of many cursed threads :fear:
People like to portray Lara as the lone man on a burning deck but he had the service of very decent batsmen around him. Chanders is an ATG. Sarwan, Gayle, Hooper, Padams and Riche Richardson were around in different stages and they all have OK to above OK records. Secondly, Lara's greatest days as a batsman came from the 2000s onwards, statistically. This was the same decade when a lot more batsmen averaged 50. Lara had a very poor record against India, both at home and in India. His 4th innings record is actually lesser than Tendu's although he has scored some amazing knocks. And yet, Lara remains the more watchable batsman because he was exciting, there was the promise of scoring really big and when he was in full flow, he bashed everyone. The only thing he lacked was consistency. In ODIs, he had a stellar start to his career, but the game wasn't really designed for him since he wasn't as adept at rotating the strike and pinching singles like Tendu was. In ODIs Tendu was the better player. Since the topic is simply "Lara vs Tendullkar" and not just about their batting, we also have to factor in Teenda's bowling in ODIs which lends him a further usefulness.
some nice points,, but some one like me likes lara more jsut bcos of entertainment he provided not saying tendlkar was bowling but i like lara style of batting more :--D
People like to portray Lara as the lone man on a burning deck but he had the service of very decent batsmen around him. Chanders is an ATG. Sarwan' date=' Gayle, Hooper, Padams and Riche Richardson were around in different stages and they all have OK to above OK records.[/quote'] WI collapsed ALOT and it depended on Lara. Sarwan came much later..Chanders wasn't as good as he is now if i recall correctly. Maybe due to his weak team or him taking it easy. He clearly didn't have the patience of Tendulkar which is why he lacked consistency but he was more talented based on his match winning performances. Said in OP that Tendu is better ODI player yes. He can find the gaps more easily whereas Lara looked more for boundaries. Also Lara batted lower down and so couldn't dictate game from that position as wickets kept falling. :cantstop:
WI collapsed ALOT and it depended on Lara. Sarwan came much later..Chanders wasn't as good as he is now if i recall correctly. Maybe due to his weak team or him taking it easy. He clearly didn't have the patience of Tendulkar which is why he lacked consistency but he was more talented based on his match winning performances. Said in OP that Tendu is better ODI player yes. He can find the gaps more easily whereas Lara looked more for boundaries. Also Lara batted lower down and so couldn't dictate game from that position as wickets kept falling. :cantstop:
Hey, I said that Lara was IMHO a more exciting and dangerous player, and we all know stats ain't everything. And this is why Victor Trumper will always be better than Sehwag, Lara batted lower down in ODIs but as lots of players have shown you don't have to score lots of centuries to have a high average or to play matchwinning knocks. Think of Bevan, ABDV, Hussey, Dhoni, etc. Besides, Lara batted a lot at 3 and 4 which isn't too low. Tonda is the better ODI bat. Period.

A point that has been brought up many times before though but.... Let us keep the support in batting aside for a moment....Lara had the likes of Ambrose and Walsh playing alongside him till the 2000's and they always had one good seamer who provided a good 3rd foil from time to time.