Rahul Dravid's interview : for all those who have criticised him!

Chandan

The right moves Captain Rahul Dravid speaks on India's series win and his decision not to enforce the follow-on in the final Test . ON MONDAY evening, having become only the third captain to lead India to victory over England in England, Rahul Dravid was the laughing leader, his accustomed stolid features breaking into a grin at every opportunity, his usually dry responses touched by wit directed at himself. Seventy-five years after they played their first Test and two days before the 60th anniversary of the country's independence, India won the inaugural Pataudi Trophy by drawing the last Test at the OvaL Typically, interacting with the media, Dravid called it a 'team effort', and said he looked forward to more such wins that came without centuries from him or Sachin Tendulkar and Souray Ganguly. How does it feel to become the first man since Kapil Dev to win a series here? I feel very proud for the whole team. It's not often it's happened, and I could not be prouder as a captain for having led this very fine team. Beating England at home, where they have been so strong over the last six-seven years, gives us a lot of satisfaction. Was 1-0 a fair result? I think so. England dominated the first Test and we dominated the next two. We played better cricket at critical moments. You won without a coach... But we had Venkatesh Prasad, Robin Singh and Greg King, who really helped in getting the boys prepared, and Mr. Borde gave us advice. We had a great backroom staff and though we may not have had a head coach we had some great guidance. Disappointed at not making it 2-0? No, not really We thought we gave ourselves the best chance to win 2-0. Everyone put in a great effort, gave all I could have asked for. We played a great series and we'll take this result. You think the decision to not enforce the follow-on was wise? There will be dit^ferent opinions on what's wise and what's not. But as captain, I know my players well. We played the same bowling attack right through the series and they have put in a lot of workload. Yes, people would have wanted us to enforce the followon. If I were sitting in a living room, I may have said the same. But as captain, I get a pulse of the feeling of the boys, how much I can push them. I have to back my judgment. Was Kolkata2001, when you famously beat Australia, in the back of your mind? Yes, but it was a small factor You do look at it and say you'd prefer them to bat on the fourth afternoon. India's Independence Day is two days away. Perfect timing? It is. As players, we understand that we do bring a lot of joy to a lot of people with our successes. It's nice to know there will be so many kids in small towns who'll be smiling, who'll be happy, enjoying it with us. You get a chance to impact so many people through playing. At 11/3, how was it being in the middle? It must have been excruci- ating to watch me bat, so you can imagine how excruciating it must have been for me to play that important innings. Having decided to not enforce the followon, we were 11 for three and you have all sorts of thoughts running through your mind. Sourav played quite beautifully But it just didn't seem to be flowing for me. It's not often that you have to calm Anil Kumble, as you had to today. Anil can get quite worked up when he's bowling. He gives it his all & sometimes, it can get the better of him. If someone had said you'd win without you or Sachin or Sourav getting a 100, what would you have said? I would have said great, that's what Indian cricket needs! We need contributions from everyone, we need people to stand up and be counted. The Englishmen said they were thrown off by the angle of deliveries from our left-armers. It's something that's been done before, it's not rocket science, but it was executed well, and credit to the bowlers and the bowling coach. They pulled up after the first morning at Lord's. Batting the second time, did you want to give them 110 overs or did you wish to put the target beyond their reach? Both. I thought if we put the target beyond their reach, they'd be forced to defend and we could exert pressure. Batting without hope is very difficult because you know the game is going nowhere for you. Also, I thought that 110 overs would give us our bowlers enough time to have one last crack. You think maybe another 10-15 overs could have been good? Maybe, maybe not. We thought 110 overs was right. We lost three wickets in the first three overs and had to reassess the situation. We were one-up in the series. We came here to win the series and we've achieved that. Rohit Mahajan London

So guys' date=' where can you fault him??[/quote'] no fault.. but this one i found bit cunning Disappointed at not making it 2-0? No, not really .well offcourse hez happy that India won the series, but after scoring 664, he surely would be feeling yes India could have won...... what i think, he answered "no" to that question just to not bring the follow on issue again... hence to prevent it, he said "no" to unspoil the celebrationz.... i know he would be disappointed from inside.. just not showing.. but i do stand Dravid.. its all good.. Hats of to The Wall, Hats of to the TEAM INDIA

I never had problem with not asking them to bat again.. but had problem with VERY VERY slow batting.. ok given that we were 3 down for 11.. given that we had to secure wickets but 12 in 92 was TOO slow.. I also have slight problem with following..

Disappointed at not making it 2-0? No, not really We thought we gave ourselves the best chance to win 2-0. Everyone put in a great effort, gave all I could have asked for. We played a great series and we'll take this result.
not even a bit disappointed? but I am over it.. saw all the presentation ceremony.. with everyone coming together.. soo its all good in the hood.. :)

The main goal was this:

We thought 110 overs was right. We lost three wickets in the first three overs and had to reassess the situation. We were one-up in the series. We came here to win the series and we've achieved that.
You can't expect a team to get downright ruthless straightaway! Let them start winning the series regularly. They'll certainly start getting ruthless too.

The WORST thing about Dravid is , you could almost predict word for word what he is going to say. Each time i read a question , i almost knew what his answer would be. I do not know what stops from being forthright with his thoughts. I am pretty sure he is strict taskmaster who doesnt mince words in the dressing room. If only he opened up in public too.

The WORST thing about Dravid is ' date=' you could almost predict word for word what he is going to say. Each time i read a question , i almost knew what his answer would be. I do not know what stops from being forthright with his thoughts. I am pretty sure he is strict taskmaster who doesnt mince words in the dressing room. If only he opened up in public too.[/quote'] His job profile does not involve opening out to the public. It's one of the traits I really admire and respect in him.
But MM' date=' he is being quite honest here IMO.[/quote'] Honest in what sense Chandan ? Dont you think you or I or for that matter any Indian who follows a bit of cricket couldnt have predicted what he said. But i agree with Shwetabh when he says job hazards is what makes him be like this. The job of Indian cricket captain is so controversial , that every statement could be mis-interpreted or mis-quoted. I really wish Dravid writes a book after he retires and is atleast a bit more forthcoming in that.
But i agree with Shwetabh when he says job hazards is what makes him be like this. The job of Indian cricket captain is so controversial , that every statement could be mis-interpreted or mis-quoted. I really wish Dravid writes a book after he retires and is atleast a bit more forthcoming in that.
Certainly. We saw what happened to Ganguly and also see how a media makes a mountain of molehill. So its not wrong in trying to be politically correct. But whatever he said in this interview, reflected in what he did in the test series. Thats why I thought he was being honest here.
The WORST thing about Dravid is ' date=' you could almost predict word for word what he is going to say. Each time i read a question , i almost knew what his answer would be. I do not know what stops from being forthright with his thoughts. [b']I am pretty sure he is strict taskmaster who doesnt mince words in the dressing room. If only he opened up in public too.
I'm not too sure about the last bit. But the first part I agree with completely.