Latest from Ian Chappell's book of stupidity

King

Bouncy pitches are appreciated by every good player, but I'm also all for allowing bowlers one method of assisting the ball to swing, and making that method legal while outlawing every other form of ball-tampering. The teams could provide a list of their preferred methods of assisting the ball to swing and then the ICC would decide on the one to be legalised.
That is one of the dumbest of all suggestions I've come across ever in cricket. Chappell wants the team to provide their preferred methods of ball tampering and ICC to legalize that :hysterical: I'm sure couple of teams would like the ball under a truck's tire during the game. Another team could well say we would like some velcro on the ball so that it grips the pitch when our spinners bowl. What load of bull is this? I can't believe this man is hailed as one of the better cricketing brains. http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/extracover/content/current/story/307398.html I don't know why he keeps dropping Gilly's name in each of his article. Gilly is a fantastic player but over the last couple of years he has struggled to put enough runs on board. I've seen him struggle quite a bit behind the stumps as well. As a batsman/WK package Gilly is top class but as a wicket keeper he is not among the best IMO. The yesteryear Wicket keepers are way better than Gilly. Sangakkara to me is the best that is going around at the moment both with the bat and behind the stumps. Gilly is a very explosive batsman but he is very inconsistent. You may get a very high class 100 in a game and then he can follow it up with single digit scores in the next 3 or 4 games. Sangakkara is quite capable of scoring consistently as he is technically quite superior and is quite a good batsman for all conditions. Like every good players great form takes a beating over the time Gilly's has as well in test cricket. He is still capable of producing a great inning but I wouldn't bank on him to score consistently. He had a golden run for few years though and he was terrific during those years.
but I'm also all for allowing bowlers one method of assisting the ball to swing, and making that method legal while outlawing every other form of ball-tampering
That sure is impractical. Now imagine this list of ball tampering each country would like : 1. Pakistan : Bottle opener and finger nails. 2. England : Jelly Beans 3. Aussies/NZ : Sun screen 4. Saffies : Boot spikes 5. India : Mint/Lozenge 6. Sri Lanka : Fish curry on one side of the ball 7. West Indies : Rum on one side of the ball 8. Bangladesh : Rub one side of the ball on the pitch Now what is that ICC should approve? :hysterical:

Yup I don't like him one bit and he isn't helping by sprouting dumb comments as well. I've heard first hand from players about Ian's ulterior motives and his attitude towards sub continent players. Moreover he passes judgment and rubbishes players while he was not anymore than just a good player. If you read his comments you would feel as if he better Bradman in batting and Wasim Akram in bowling. Just an old and a senile commentator that is driven by hidden agenda. I would rather value Greg's comments compared to Ian Chappell. I have to say I'm liking his recent comments, they are full of dumb wits.