Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

There is a massive difference between the way Fed plays and the way Rafa, Novak and Andy play. Fed's game means he can compete into his 30s because it's not a physically demanding game. Rafa, Novak and Andy will be almost done by the time they hit 30. In fact I will go so far as to say, none of these three with win masters events after 30, let alone slams. In my opinion as I've said many times before, 2014 is the last year of dominance of the big 4 and even that dominance will not be complete. It is sad to see this happening, one of the greatest eras of any sport coming to an end, but it is almost here.
The new generation is not good enough to step up. They may win a few titles here and there but the majority will still be won by the current top guys for the next couple of years at least. Novak has been in great form since last year. Rafa looks a little out of sorts right now but remember he played the last GS final and won the one before that. So your conclusion is unfounded. Tell me one player under 23 who is good enough to beat these guys consistently, especially in slams. Players like Stan are not new, in fact he is older than both Rafa, Novak.

The new generation is not good enough to step up. They may win a few titles here and there but the majority will still be won by the current top guys for the next couple of years at least. Novak has been in great form since last year. Rafa looks a little out of sorts right now but remember he played the last GS final and won the one before that. So your conclusion is unfounded. Tell me one player under 23 who is good enough to beat these guys consistently' date=' especially in slams. Players like Stan are not new, in fact he is older than both Rafa, Novak.[/quote'] I agree. IMO, with Murray regressing so much due to his back surgery and Rafa looking old around the court ( it was bound to happen and in tennis, age doesnt creep up on you, it does happen rather suddenly- Sampras looked like a shadow of himself after the 99 US open final, Becker looked like a stiff old man the year after losing to Sampras in the semis at wimbledon- 94 or 95 IIRC) and DelPo being out for a year, the GS arnt looking like a four horserace. Novak is still in awesome form, Federer too but this is Federer on 75% power and movement from his best years. IMO, over the next 8 slams, i can see atleast 2-3 slams won by the non-quartet/pentet ( including DelPo) and the rest by the declining top 5.

Madrid SF line up Nadal - Bautista Agut and Nishikori-Ferrer I see a final between Nadal and Nishikori. Hope Nadal wins this masteres. Would be great boost to his confidence ahead of Roland Garros.
Nadal played well yesterday against Berdych. He needs a string of 3-4 good matches continuously. Consistency has been his biggest problem this year. If he can play a few matches well continuously he will get back his confidence.

Nadal won his first masters of the year. But it wasn't very convincing performance from him and Nishikori withdrew from the match after getting injured. However, even without this final performance, Nadal had few good matches which would be help to his confidence. If he does well in Rome, I think he would be all set for Roland Garros.

Nadal won his first masters of the year. But it wasn't very convincing performance from him and Nishikori withdrew from the match after getting injured. However' date=' even without this final performance, Nadal had few good matches which would be help to his confidence. If he does well in Rome, I think he would be all set for Roland Garros.[/quote'] I don't think this "win" will boost Nadal's confidence. If anything it again showed his inconsistency and lack of confidence. He was pathetic throughout the match. Nishikori played well, it's unfortunate that he got injured.

And Nadal is already down 0-5 in first set :((. What happening?
Finally won it 1-6 6-3 7-5. It was a great match, both guys played well for the most part. Nadal would be highly satisfied with today's performance and intensity level he showed after the first set. The first set was horrible but he got it all together after that. The second set was the best he has played on clay this year. But he has played over 9 hours in three days continuously, so I won't be surprised if he does not have anything left in the tank for tomorrow. But this performance will give him a lot of confidence going forward.

I hope Dimitrov wins the tourno - he wont I know, he should push Rafa but lose - its nice to see some of these new guys coming through. Is Dimitrov in the top 10 now ? Nisihkori and Raonic playing well too.

I hope Dimitrov wins the tourno - he wont I know, he should push Rafa but lose - its nice to see some of these new guys coming through. Is Dimitrov in the top 10 now ? Nisihkori and Raonic playing well too.
Yes. Raonic, Nishikori and Dimitrov are next gen player and I put my money on all three of them finishing in top 10 this year-end. Finally new guard is there. In 3rd round Dimitrov defeated Berdych and Raonic - Tsonga. I think those results were pretty significant.

I think Dimitrov has a very good chance of beating Rafa today. Rafa has already spent 9 hours on court playing 3 back to back 3 setters without any rest. He has incredible stamina but this might be too much even for him. And yes the new guys are starting to play well, I think they will start winning these tournaments soon.

I think Dimitrov has a very good chance of beating Rafa today. Rafa has already spent 9 hours on court playing 3 back to back 3 setters without any rest. He has incredible stamina but this might be too much even for him. And yes the new guys are starting to play well, I think they will start winning these tournaments soon.
Semi Final set up at Rome reflects very well on the transition happening in Tennis world. We have Djokovic and Nadal from old guard while Dimitrov and Raonic from New generation. My guess is final still would be between Nadal and Djoko, yet it is clear that these new guys knocking on the door of absolute top league and has overcome league of Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga etc.

Finally an easy win for Nadal over Dimitrov. and with this we are all set for Nadal-Djokovic blockbuster tomorrow..!!
Yeah quite an easy win. Nadal played well but Dimitrov was awful. Nadal needs to play a decent match tomorrow unlike the Madrid final. If he does that regardless of the result he will go into the French Open with a lot of confidence.