Players' integrity questioned by commentary, says Clark

SECTIONS of the Australian team believe their reputations have been tainted by the comments and analysis of members of the Nine Network's commentary team. The players are adamant that the constant replays and discussions on sensitive topics such as claimed catches and walking have a major impact on Nine's viewing audience. In some cases, the players feel their integrity is unnecessarily called into question when replays are inconclusive. "I think some commentators need to understand the influence they have on the viewing public," said Australian paceman Stuart Clark. "Sometimes, the things they say can be extremely harmful to players' reputations, even if there is no malice intended. "I would like to see respect restored to the game, because that's what it deserves. The game should be at the forefront, not just the controversy. I hope that for the rest of the series the focus is on the spectacle of the game and the people, and not of the comments of some commentators and the media." Former Australian captain and veteran Nine Network commentator Ian Chappell said he was unaware of the Australian players' concerns. "I would have thought that if they had a problem, they would come and speak to us," Chappell said. "I am around the team enough, and am always available to talk. "This hasn't been brought to my attention. If they were to say something about it to my face, I would be happy to sit down and sort it out. When I was playing, if you had a problem with a journo you would approach them and sort it out." Clark also said the Australians had been "surprised, upset and disappointed" with other sections of the media over their coverage of the fallout from the Sydney Test. He claimed the match had been played in good spirit by both sides and he remained bemused by the heated comments from Indian captain Anil Kumble after the match. "I think a lot of what has been said in the aftermath of that game has been over the top," he said. "It's a shame, because it has taken a lot of the focus away from what was a really good game of cricket. "It seems like it is getting to the point where games will be played in silence, with no one speaking to each other. As long as no one crosses the line, a bit of chat out there is fine. Most of the talk in the Sydney Test was all pretty light-hearted, anyway, and that has been one of the reasons we have all been taken by a bit of surprise with what's gone on after." The Australians leave for Perth on Saturday and will learn the following day whether Brad Hogg will be available for selection, pending the outcome of his code of conduct hearing. Clark believed the match will be played in a competitive spirit. "Hopefully we can put all this behind us. I don't have an issue with any of the Indian players," he said. http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/players-integrity-questioned-by-commentary-says-clark/2008/01/09/1199554741804.html

He claimed the match had been played in good spirit by both sides and he remained bemused by the heated comments from Indian captain Anil Kumble after the match. "I think a lot of what has been said in the aftermath of that game has been over the top," he said. "It's a shame, because it has taken a lot of the focus away from what was a really good game of cricket.
How about a bit of reality check instead of burying your head like an ostrich to see what is happening on the field and admit where you went wrong? Kumble is a player who has been playing at the international level since last 18 years and is respected as one of the most cool headed and well mannered cricketer. Is there any chance of you checking why he said that and what was the "heat of the moment"?
How about a bit of reality check instead of burying your head like an ostrich to see what is happening on the field and admit where you went wrong?
I think you Indian's should be very happy at the moment. This interview by Stuart Clarke and other ones criticizing the media and Channel 9 commentary makes it look like they are adopting a 'siege mentality'. I cannot believe they are implying that anyone else is to blame, now they are acting like immature children who are not getting their own way. If this is the case then they JUST DON'T GET IT. I think this is so ironic; (I have commented elsewhere) India, through graciousness and sportsmanship (eg: Kumble public olive branch, no such comments yet from Ponting) have the potential to 'mentally disintegrate' the Australian cricket team. If the Indian team does not do anything stupid (like threaten boycotts etc) then there is a good chance they will get the support from the Australian cricketing public who loves a (gracious) underdog.
I thought the same thing. Especially when he used the incorrect spelling for SC. Dead giveaway, Andrew. :regular_smile:
No I'm not and Indian...:two_thumbs_up: I have just had a dose of "un-australian-itis" which is going around. Actually Stuart Clark is my favorite bowler... I get frustrated because he does not get anywhere near the credit he deserves. In the first innings in Melbourne when he and Brett Lee both got 4 wickets, the Channel 9 commentary gave Brett Lee most of the accolades (because of his high profile) which made me furious when you looked at who Stuart Clark bowled out... and I was disappointed Ponting did not make some effort to allow Clark to get a 5 wicket haul when he was in such good touch. After more thought about Stuart Clark's comments, in part they reflect a siege mentality (very disappointing) but the other side could be he is quite hurt personally by the comments because he is not involved in 'bullying'. I would struggle to believe that Stuart Clark is involved in sledging and bullying.

Andrew, indian fans are not fool to blame it on S Clark. He bowled very well and I saw him rarely opening his mouth. I dont think anyone if blaming him for all this. I think from this point on, every time there is a bad decision in favour of Australia, eyebrows will be raised and all these incidences at SCG will be remembered. Same goes when bad decisions go against opposition, fans will stop respecting Aussies more and more. I am talking of non-aussie fans. Probably Aus team doesnot really know, like winning a game, respect is also something that you need to win. But here cheating wont work. You have to pay respect to others, be honest & sportive. And I doubt this will get in their heads. So they will beg for some respect from here on.

Contrast Australian respect to the West Indies respect

Andrew, indian fans are not fool to blame it on S Clark. He bowled very well and I saw him rarely opening his mouth. I dont think anyone if blaming him for all this. I think from this point on, every time there is a bad decision in favour of Australia, eyebrows will be raised and all these incidences at SCG will be remembered. Same goes when bad decisions go against opposition, fans will stop respecting Aussies more and more. I am talking of non-aussie fans. Probably Aus team doesnot really know, like winning a game, respect is also something that you need to win. But here cheating wont work. You have to pay respect to others, be honest & sportive. And I doubt this will get in their heads. So they will beg for some respect from here on.
Great comment. The biggest reward from winning is respect. If the way you win loses respect you have to ask questions about the way you play the game. You are right that Indian's have not criticized Clark (nor Chanel 9, nor columnists), but his defensive comments criticizing media etc should be directed at his team mates who are causing the loss of respect. CC1981 wrote a great comment yesterday (3:43pm, morality in sport thread) "West Indies in their glory days were a stronger and badder(on cricketing terms) team than Australia and yet they were universally adored". Australians need to think long and hard about that comment.

True... And they can do it if they understand that they are not playiing only against Australians/English. There are WI, Zim and other Sub-continental teams. So things get different. I hope this sense prevails or else we will get to see more like a rugby stuff... where players hitting with bats and balls. Undoubtedly Aus team is amazingly good. I think losing game here and there wont make them look bad. And believe me just the margin of the victory will probably change the results may still be the same. But Aus will look like Hero's not only to Aussies but all over the world.