Allan Border: Misunderstanding about the monkey taunt...

gator

Steve Waugh - Poor comprehension led to Roy run-in with Bhajji - Former Australia skipper On the Sydney Test THE SYDNEY Test will be remembered for a tremendous climax. Unfortunately, it will also be remembered for all the controversy, acrimony and bad blood through the five days. The win marks the equaling of our earlier streak of 16 Tests, but instead of feting the Australians for this achievement, the cricket world and the administrators are grappling with all that happened during these last five days. At the end of the day's play, Anil Kumble said only one team was playing the game in the true spirit. While he might have said it at the spur of the moment, one can understand where it's coming from. I don't know what was agreed upon between the two captains but I guess he had an issue with Michael Clarke, who first chose not to walk and was later asked by the umpire about Ganguly's catch. Some questions are also being asked about whether Adam Gilchrist, who famously walks when he is out, should have appealed for the Rahul Dravid catch. Adam has clarified that if he is not fully sure, he does appeal, and on Sunday he claimed he was not sure about whether or not Rahul had nicked it. It's sad to see the battle lines so clearly drawn between two teams that have always shared cordial relations. By the end of the day, Harbhajan Singh's hearing was conducted and the verdict, a three-Test ban, would have only upset Indian fans even more. I don't think it was necessary to keep the incident in abeyance till the end of the Test or register a complaint. It could have been sorted on the field or at best at the end of the day. Much of what is happening springs from an inability to understand each other's culture. For an Indian, calling someone a monkey is not a terrible insult, and certainly not racist. Similarly, the Indians too would be finding Australia's aggressive and desperation on the field way beyond what's acceptable. But we play hard from the time we are youngsters. I doubt we have heard the last on this Harbhajan-Symonds (Roy, as he is known) run-in. The ICC should be a little more transparent as to what was said on the field. If Harbhajan used 'monkey', he was asking for trouble, especially after what happened in India. But, we also don't know what he reacted to. I expect protest from Indians and would not be surprised if the ban is stayed till the end of the series. ---------------------------------- Balanced view from a former Australian player who understands Indian culture!

The consequence of twisting culture logic So....The outcome is: Indians are not insulted by "Monkey" Australians are not insulted by "Gay Bastard" Fine. You can call us "Gay Bastard" as much as you like. But the consequence is that is that from here on, Indians are Monkeys. Is this what you would like? as it is the consequence of your logic for using the term monkey. I dont believe for a second that Indians would like Aussies calling them monkeys.

Steve Waugh - Poor comprehension led to Roy run-in with Bhajji - Former Australia skipper On the Sydney Test Adam has clarified that if he is not fully sure, he does appeal, and on Sunday he claimed he was not sure about whether or not Rahul had nicked it.
this is totally unacceptable from gilly... he was in the best position to knw whether rahul nicked it or not... he cant be so naive... i've lost all respect for gilly... his claim that he's a walker and a honest wicket keeper is selective.
So....The outcome is: Indians are not insulted by "Monkey" Australians are not insulted by "Gay Bastard" Fine. You can call us "Gay Bastard" as much as you like. But the consequence is that is that from here on, Indians are Monkeys. Is this what you would like? as it is the consequence of your logic for using the term monkey. I dont believe for a second that Indians would like Aussies calling them monkeys.
Pat, The difference is that there is no evidence that Bhajji called Symonds a monkey and he has categorically denied saying it, while there is an audio evidence that Hogg has used that expletive against Indians and the man has himself confessed doing so. I hope you get the situation clear in your mind now. Or do you have some more questions?
Pat, The difference is that there is no evidence that Bhajji called Symonds a monkey and he has categorically denied saying it, while there is an audio evidence that Hogg has used that expletive against Indians and the man has himself confessed doing so. I hope you get the situation clear in your mind now. Or do you have some more questions?
I do not dispute that there is a question about the incident. I think the whole Bhajji issue should stop and that he should just be cautioned. Then we move on. However, my point is that it is posted that indians dont consider monkey racist, so whats the problem? I was juct challanging the truthfulness of that comment. Would Indians like for Aussies to call them monkey? I do not think so!
I do not dispute that there is a question about the incident. I think the whole Bhajji issue should stop and that he should just be cautioned. Then we move on. However, my point is that it is posted that indians dont consider monkey racist, so whats the problem? I was juct challanging the truthfulness of that comment. Would Indians like for Aussies to call them monkey? I do not think so!
Ausstralian players have been calling our players much worse things than that and have been getting away because we left these incidents on the field and didn't drag it out to the referee. Australian skipper has started this trend and now you can get the feeling that the whole world might get after them reporting each and every derogatory word they utter on the field!

>>>Australian skipper has started this trend and now you can get the feeling that the whole world might get after them reporting each and every derogatory word they utter on the field! And they should. That is the only way to stop this ugly cricket that the aussies play.

So....The outcome is: Indians are not insulted by "Monkey" Australians are not insulted by "Gay Bastard" Fine. You can call us "Gay Bastard" as much as you like. But the consequence is that is that from here on, Indians are Monkeys. Is this what you would like? as it is the consequence of your logic for using the term monkey. I dont believe for a second that Indians would like Aussies calling them monkeys.
wow... i have nothing but wonder for u guys.... i will anyday take someone making fun of my appearance comparing me to a monkey or an orangutan over calling my momma a sllut.... and to rub it in further, u want to be called GAY as well.... i bow in admiration...
wow... i have nothing but wonder for u guys.... i will anyday take someone making fun of my appearance comparing me to a monkey or an orangutan over calling my momma a sllut.... and to rub it in further' date=' u want to be called GAY as well.... i bow in admiration...[/quote']:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: