Test of Friendship. Sachin got it spot on :-)

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath

In this sordid mess of umpiring controversies and racism allegations involving Harbhajan Singh and Symonds, only Sachin Tendulkar seems to have got the issue spot on. In the most immediate aftermath of the incident, at close of play on the 3rd day at Sydney, when Sachin was being interviewed after his great 100, he was asked about the Bhajji-Symonds incident and he replied "It was all a very friendly matter" that had the media laughing, but just take a closer look and see how clear headed and perceptive Sachin had been. We now know from Symonds himself that he doesn't consider "monkey" as racist or for that matter any other so called racist term if it comes from his friends. Sachin has stated on record that Symonds had a banter with Bhajji. Symonds had said, according to Sachin " I heard you are friendly with our bowlers, now I am also a bowler", and poor Bhajji in a very Indian show of warmth and friendship accepted Symonds request and called him "monkey" apparently to indicate to Symonds that he, Bhajji, was indeed a very close friend, enough to qualify for Symonds standards of friendship ( that close friends can pass so called racist comments at him). There is another school of thought that points out that Bhajji actually did not say "monkey"..but had said something to the effect of Symonds not having to beg for friendship....etc ( bheek mangi...), but this could have also been interpreted as "big monkey", and that would need a separate analysis. On the evidence of Sachin, it is perfectly clear that Symonds asked for Bhajji's friendship ( it is also clear that Bhajji was very friendly with Aussie bowlers from Symond's comment) , and Bhajji accepted it in a way he thought best. And Sachin was the only one truthfully reporting what happened as well as the correct interpretation. If we look at the video of the incident , Sachin is the only one who had been laughing all through the incident. And poor Harbhajan found himself reported for racism !! Look at poor Brad Hogg. Having been informed by Symonds that all were great friends now, he affectionately called Dhoni and Kumble "bastards", as many Aussies claim that is the sign of extremely close friendship between mates, and after the test he was reported as having abused Indian players !! Actually the Sydney test was apparently a "Friendship test", and the umpires so taken up by the Friendship atmosphere did not even take appeals/decisions seriously.

Guest HariSampath

Harbhajan hearing : New evidence

Brilliant...:haha: Hari,you should represent Bhajji's case at the ICC hearing:D
This is the whole problem with ICF..I had made this analysis and given the best possible analysis that even explained Procter's stand that Harbhajan had called Symmonds "big monkey" and everyone thinks it is humor ( probably because of my reputation on ICF). Please read OP and also put all the evidence together ; including the key evidence of Sachin in a press conference on same day of test match. Is this not the most likely thing that could have happened ? ( and now we have stump mic evidence to prove it too ) :dance: Attention BCCI : Please go with my defence and save yourself 2-3 million bucks , and send me my consulting fees :eyedance:
Guest HariSampath

what about the key statement of Sachin when he had said Symmonds told Bhajji " heard you are friendly with our bowlers, now I am a bowler too"...why hasnt that ever been discussed ? that was what triggered the whole thing off. This sounds true too, as Bhajji had tapped Brett Lee on his backside and Symmonds had made a remark after that. In light of this Sachin's statement is consistent with events and also the possible Bhajji retort of "bheek mangi"

what about the key statement of Sachin when he had said Symmonds told Bhajji " heard you are friendly with our bowlers' date=' now I am a bowler too"...why hasnt that ever been discussed ? that was what triggered the whole thing off. This sounds true too, as Bhajji had tapped Brett Lee on his backside and Symmonds had made a remark after that. In light of this Sachin's statement is consistent with events and also the possible Bhajji retort of "bheek mangi"[/quote'] anyways what is "bheek Mangi"? My hindi is good enough to watch a bollywood movie, but I don't understand this word.
Guest HariSampath

^ That was because it was commonly known among cricketers that other Aussie players called Symmonds a monkey and it was always understood by the Indian team as banter among mates...and anyways Bhajji may or may not have said "big monkey"..it might have even been "bheek mangi"...according to the defence we should put up

Guest HariSampath
anyways what is "bheek Mangi"? My hindi is good enough to watch a bollywood movie' date=' but I don't understand this word.[/quote'] My hindi is worse...but I understand it means something like " begging" or words to that effect...ask Pandit beetle :D