Video: Anil Kumble century & 600 Wickets thread

Video: Anil Kumble century & 600 Wickets thread  

1. 1.

Little known fact about Kumble http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news/prv3.html "The classic example is Anil Kumble. In his teens, Kumble was a medium-pacer. His brother Dinesh suggested him, "You better become a spinner. If you continue with your medium pace stuff, you would be called for chucking. Anil Kumble responded to that suggestion in a manner born and went on to become a glorious match-winning bowler."

‘It’s about creating doubts, I’ve done enough of that’ - There has been a lot of criticism right through my career, but I took it in the right way: Kumble LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI18anil.jpg Anil Kumble jubilates after bringing Australia’s first innings to an end for 212 with the dismissal of Shaun Tait on Day II of the third Test at the Waca in Perth on Thursday. Tait was Kumble’s victim No. 601. (AFP)

Perth: Anil ‘Jumbo’ Kumble scaled yet another peak, at the Waca on Thursday, when he got his 600th wicket. After stumps, he had a Q&A session there itself and, then, a one-on-one with The Telegraph at the Hyatt Regency. The following are excerpts On what it means to join the 600 Club Means a lot... When you start off you never think that you’ll reach such a milestone... But having played for so long you keep crossing landmarks and milestones... Means a lot especially when people thought I wouldn’t last even two Test matches... You need to have faith, need to have the belief and I’d like to thank my wife and the rest of the family... I’d also like to thank all teammates and all my captains. On the not-being-good-enough-for-two-Tests bit I wouldn’t like to go back in time... Wouldn’t like to say who said what... There has been a lot of criticism right through my career, but I took it in the right way... You do need critics to egg you on... Whenever I was out of the team, I always thought there was something I could get better at... I’ve never lacked motivation and would come back stronger. On whether he’s proved that it’s not important to bowl in a particular manner (being a big turner, for example) (Laughs) Hope so... At the end of the day, what matters is for me to create a doubt in the batsman’s mind... Whether you do it by bowling straight, by spin or bowling bouncers doesn’t matter. It’s about creating doubts and I think I’ve done enough of that... Hopefully, it will go on... On having come through a tough selection process where, often, one gets just two balls to prove one’s worth It happens in India with a thousand 13-14 year-olds out to prove their talent before the selectors... A batsman could only get a couple of balls, maybe that’s why I became a bowler! On whether his achievement is all the more sweeter because there’s an excellent chance of forcing a win in the third Test It’s important to continue playing good cricket... We’ve done that on the first two days and we’ve got to take this momentum forward... If we have a good day tomorrow (Friday) then we’ve got a great chance of winning... On the wicket of Andrew Symonds, his 600th victim Symonds and (Adam) Gilchrist had been building a big partnership and it was important to get the breakthrough... I appealed and the umpire upheld it... It was a crucial wicket and it’s a nice coincidence that the catch was taken by Rahul (Dravid), who has taken so many off my bowling. On the excitement factor in getting there I just needed one wicket... It wasn’t as if four-five were required to reach 600. On whether he missed anybody (Emotionally) It would’ve been nice had my father (K.N. Krishna Swamy) been alive... On the three most memorable moments during his 18-year international career The first is my Test debut (Old Trafford, August 1990), then when I got all ten wickets in an innings (against Pakistan at the Kotla, in February 1999) and, well, today... On whether any other Test performance stands out Off the cuff... Look, every wicket has been important. On whether he remembers his first victim Allan Lamb, who was caught by Sanjay Manjrekar in the close-in field. On over 200 wickets having come in the last four years I’m probably more relaxed... I’ve probably used the experience of bowling in different conditions... I’ve had great support from the other end whenever (Harbhajan Singh) Bhajji has played... We tend to bowl in partnerships and I’ve been able to get wickets... The last three-four years have been really good, once the shoulder got stronger (after surgery in 2001). On whether, after a string of strong performances in Tests, he intends making a comeback in ODIs (Laughs) No... I’m happy playing Test cricket and a bit of Twenty20! On Australia vice-captain Gilchrist, who’d called to wish him when he got his 500th wicket, warmly congratulating him on his 600th victim too He’s one of the great guys who is always appreciative of what you do on the field... I remember he’d called me from Bangladesh when I took my 500th... At the end of the day today I jokingly said that I wish you’d been my 600th victim... On his seamers excelling on Day II They did a great job... RP (Singh) and Irfan (Pathan) upfront and, then, Ishant (Sharma)... We’d come close to picking up Australia cheaply on the first day in Sydney, but that didn’t happen... We learnt from that and I’m really proud that RP, at such a young age (22), is leading the attack... Irfan and Ishant supported him brilliantly... On Australia being bowled out in 50 overs Very satisfying. On Ricky Ponting falling cheaply once again It’s good to get the best batsman cheaply... With Matthew Hayden not playing, there’s more pressure on him. On what had been his message to the bowlers That it was important to pitch it up and bowl in the right areas... We’ve always had the ability to swing and that came handy... It’s easy to get carried away and overdo the short-pitched stuff on a wicket with pace and bounce, but our bowlers didn’t. On the discussion at tea, when both Symonds and Gilchrist looked in control We knew we had to build pressure and Irfan’s spell from the other end was important... I kept it quiet from one end and, once we began creating pressure, it was only a matter of one wicket-taking ball... I got rid of Symonds and, then, RP began to polish off the rest. On Pathan He’d lost it a little bit in the middle (of his career), but the positive thing is that it happened a bit early in his career... He’s come back really strong and bowled exceptionally in the ODIs at home and also in the Bangalore Test against Pakistan. I’m glad that he’s made such a good comeback. On Ishant, the least experienced of the seamers He’s learnt from the last Test (Sydney) and looks as if he belongs to this arena... He’s willing to bend his back... It’s great to have such young talent. On his seamers making such good use of the conditions, including the sea breeze Absolutely, they did so really well... The way they controlled the swing is really commendable... Finally, on Virender Sehwag’s inclusion in the XI, seen as a gamble He’s the sort to go out and play his game... He’s a very talented and special player and if he stays for a session and more then we’re in the driver’s seat. That’s the reason one backs him through and through. I’m confident he’ll be able to do the job tomorrow.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080118/jsp/sports/story_8797565.jsp

India’s No. 1 cricketer, say former players OUR BUREAU & AGENCIES18pix1.jpg18pix.jpg18deep.jpg (From top) Ashok Malhotra, Arun Lal and Deep Dasgupta

A leg-spinner who couldn’t turn the ball when he first played for India in 1990 has joined the elite 600 Test wickets club! As the country marvelled at Anil Kumble’s jumbo achievement, former Test players too saluted the Team India Test captain. The following are excerpts from what they had to say (alphabetically): DEEP DASGUPTA: Anil’s career shows what determination and focus can do for a cricketer. None gave him a chance when he first played international cricket, but look where he is after all these years. Guys like (Muttiah) Muralidharan and (Shane) Warne are naturally talented… Anil is not half as talented as them, yet… I would say Anil is the only one of the trio to have achieved 100 per cent. He’s turned out to be a natural leader as well, adding to his many virtues. In my book, he is India’s No. 1 Test cricketer… ARAVINDA DE SILVA: It’s not an easy thing to achieve. He has worked so hard in his career and has been India’s main strike bowler for quite a while. DEVANG GANDHI: He was considered to be an ordinary bowler when he broke into the international scene with critics saying that he was more a medium-pacer than a leg-spinner. Look where that bowler has gone now. It’s not just the volume of wickets which puts Anil in a league of his own, the number of matchwinning performances he has produced is phenomenal too. I would rate him as one of India’s top five Test players of all time. SUNIL JOSHI: It’s a great achievement and hearty congratulations to Anil. It is good to see him perform and silence the opposition especially in the light of all that has been happening in this series. Anil has let his performance speak. ARUN LAL: It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. Anil’s a great ambassador of the game, a non-controversial cricketer who is dignified in success and failure. He’s an ideal role model and a living legend. Even at the age of 37, he continues to evolve. For many years, we couldn’t think of a performance beyond Kapil (Dev), but he has stretched the parameters further. I would place him on a par with Sachin (Tendulkar) among top achievers in Indian Test history. Six hundred Test wickets is an awesome figure… Even if one were to equate one wicket with 20 runs, it would give him 12000 runs! ASHOK MALHOTRA: It’s a mind-blowing achievement considering the fact that so many experts asked how an ordinary bowler like him could play for India when he made his international debut in 1990. It’s a tribute to his hard work, single-minded approach and strong will to improve. Every time he was written off, he came back stronger. He went up in my esteem when he raised his hand to say he will take the responsibility of captaincy, unlike some other greats… Hehas emerged as India’s No. 1 cricketer . BRIJESH PATEL: Congratulations to Anil Kumble. We hope he gets on to 700 wickets soon. The achievement reflects his dedication, determination and discipline. ARJUNA RANATUNGA: He has been a great servant of Indian cricket and has rendered yeoman service to the team. Whether it’s at home or abroad, he has always given more than 100 per cent and thoroughly deserves the milestone…

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080118/jsp/sports/story_8797022.jsp

JUMBO FACTS AND FIGURES

Anil Kumble on Thursday became the third bowler after Shane Warne and Muttiah Muralidharan to join the 600-club in Tests when he dismissed Andrew Symonds in Perth. Kumble is the oldest to reach the landmark. The following is a statistical look into his Test career: OVERALL — 601 wkts in 124 matches @ 28.65 in 6423 ovs and 17221 runs conceded; Best: 10/74; 5-wkt hauls: 35 times; 10-wkt hauls: 8 times. COUNTRYWISE BREAK-UP Australia — 105 wkts in 17 matches @ 27.36, Best: 8/141 England — 92 wkts in 19 matches @ 30.60, Best: 7/115 Pakistan — 81 wkts in 15 matches @ 31.98, Best: 10/74 nSouth Africa — 80 wkts in 19 matches @ 30.38, Best: 6/53 West Indies — 74 wkts in 17 matches @ 29.78, Best: 6/78 Sri Lanka — 66 wkts in 15 matches @ 28.92, Best: 7/59 New Zealand — 50 wkts in 11 matches @ 25.86, Best: 6/67 Zimbabwe — 38 wkts in 7 matches @ 22.61, Best: 5/63 Bangladesh — 15 wkts in 4 matches @ 16.53, Best: 4/55 At home — 343 wkts in 59 matches @ 23.85. Best: 10/74. 5-wkt hauls: 25; 10-wkt hauls: 7 Away — 258 wkts in 65 matches @ 35.03. Best: 8/141. 5-wkt hauls: 10; 10-wkt hauls: 1 In matches won* — 279 wkts in 41 matches @ 18.41 In matches lost* — 120 wkts in 30 matches @ 39.76 In matches drawn* — 200 wkts in 52 matches @ 36.34 * Before the Test in Perth MILESTONES 1st — A. Lamb (vs Eng at Old Trafford in 1990) 50th — A. Campbell (vs Zim in Delhi in 1992-93) 100th — M. Crowe (vs NZ in Bangalore in 1995-96) 150th — S. Williams (vs WI in Kingston in 1996-97) 200th — M. Mbangwa (vs Zim in Harare in 1998-99) 250th — M. Horne (vs NZ in Kanpur in 1999-2000) 300th — M. Hoggard (vs Eng in Bangalore in 2001-02) 350th — J. Oram (vs NZ in Ahmedabad in 2003-04) 400th — S. Katich (vs Aus in Bangalore in 2004-05) 450th — M. Sami (vs Pak in Mohali in 2004-05) 500th — S. Harmison (vs Eng in Mohali in 2005-06) 550th — Khaled Masud (vs Bangla in Mirpur in 2007) 600th — A. Symonds (vs Aus in Perth, 2007-08)

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080118/jsp/sports/story_8797573.jsp

Congratulations Kumble....We are proud of you! What a player this guy is...continuously improving his skills and a great thinking cricketer. Bowling seam-up against Pakistan, just the case in point. Go Kumble! Let's remember this game for dual reasons....your 600th wicket and an Indian win in Perth:pray:!