Funny, Us Indian Fans

Dhondy

Nice victory. One for the ages. To be savoured and sniffed over and over again, like the pot pourri sprinkled with some exotic oil, your olfactories can never quite place. Sorry to dredge up yesterday's leftovers then. Today, out there, Australia had two bad decisions. Hussey and Symonds were both unfortunate to be given out. Earlier in the match, Rogers was LBW to a delivery that would have fleetingly kissed the outside of his leg stump. Later, with India 5-down and Ganguly just departed, the match hanging by a thread, Pathan had one thud into his pads from Johnson, that would have uprooted the leg-stump. Funny, I don't see any calls for retribution from the Aussies. No calls for Bowden and Rauf to be sacked, not even a muttering about how the cookies had not crumbled their way, just an open and unqualified admission from Ponting that India had outplayed his side. Feels good as an Indian fan, doesn't it? No excuses, no caveats, just a "Well played, mate. You were better than us". Puts our reaction to the events at Sydney into context? It sure does. Yes, we had by far the worse of the umpiring at Sydney. Yes, they were vital decisions, but at the end of the day, they were umpiring mistakes, just like the ones that transpired in this match. They were not deliberate, not pre-meditated, not a vendetta, just mistakes. Seeing how close the Aussies got today, it's not inconceivable that the two umpiring mistakes against Hussey and Symonds cost them their improbable 17th victory. Just as the gaffes at Sydney cost us that match. Why the deafening silence then? Why do I not hear the uproar that I heard a fortnight ago? It's quite clear that we protest only when it suits us. It's nothing to do with right or wrong. Oh, I know, the decisions Bucknor made were graver errors, that he should have heard the nick off Symond's bat, heard the thwack off Dravid's pad, but that does not make him a cheat. The Aussies have every right to be aggrieved with the decisions that went against them in this match, as we were at Sydney, because the price they paid was just as high as our tariff. Somewhere along the way, we Indian fans became a bunch of opportunists. What's sad is that some of us are quite proud of the fact.

We're not proud of the fact. We certainly will do with the technology because of which a couple of decision would have gone in India's favour too when they were batting. Sachin LWB in the first inning, does anyone remember? Ponting would have depated yesterday itself. Hussey too enjoyed the slice of luck in the morning session. I'm all for technology which would give a batsman out when he is out!

Completely agree with what you said. Aussies took the defeat in stride and are not out here talking about umpiring failures. At the same time we should not forget that Sydney was not just about umpiring issues but also about Oz's claiming bump catches. On other forums people are bashing Kumble and saying how Ponting handled the defeat gracefully conveinently forgetting the other issue. Yes we should learn from Aussies and not go off on umpires and call for their removal but Aussies can learn a thing or two about fair play from Indian cricketers.

You are conveniently forgetting the 2 LBW decisions against SRT and Dhoni. Also, Ponting should've been given LBW when he offered no shot - Hawkeye showed the ball clipping top of off/middle; there was doubt but the ruuling should be in favor of the bowler if the batsman is making no effort to play a shot.

You are conveniently forgetting the 2 LBW decisions against SRT and Dhoni. Also' date=' Ponting should've been given LBW when he offered no shot - Hawkeye showed the ball clipping top of off/middle; there was doubt but the ruuling should be in favor of the bowler if the batsman is making no effort to play a shot.[/quote'] I am not forgetting anything. I watched the entire match. Look, this is exactly the point I am trying to make. The decisions pointed out by you were also umpiring errors, just as the ones that went in our favour. But that's what they are-errors. They happen in every match, and will continue to happen as long as cricket is played as she currently is. Umpires are human, and when in doubt, will usually adjudicate in favour of the dominant side. That is why Australia get so many decisions in their favour. India earned that previlege in this match by getting on top of the Aussies. This time it was Australia chasing 400+, under the cosh, and predictably enough, we got the rub of the green. It's a perk that you earn by playing well again and again and again, by becoming the top dog in your sport. Like Australia have by winning 16 straight ones. What I object to is the characterization of these mistakes as some kind of conspiracy hatched by the evil Western axis against India, the "us-against-them" mob mentality, the defaulting to the victim role that we wear so well after a loss in a close run match.
Completely agree with what you said. Aussies took the defeat in stride and are not out here talking about umpiring failures. At the same time we should not forget that Sydney was not just about umpiring issues but also about Oz's claiming bump catches. On other forums people are bashing Kumble and saying how Ponting handled the defeat gracefully conveinently forgetting the other issue. Yes we should learn from Aussies and not go off on umpires and call for their removal but Aussies can learn a thing or two about fair play from Indian cricketers.
IMO, the concept of fairplay in today's sport, with many millions of dollars at stake in the form of wages and endorsements, is naive. There are careers at stake here. Dog eat dog and all that. If you are a bowler, and you appeal for a LBW when you know that there's an inside edge, are you upholding the spirit of the game? What about you, as a batsman, waiting for the umpire to give you out, when you know you have nicked it? You mean to say Indian players have never resorted to that kind of thing? I'd say, knowing what we do today about the money sloshing around in the game, talk of "spirit", "fairplay" etc, are invariably concepts articulated by sore losers, to cover their own inadequacies. In sport, once you have won, nothing else really matters.

Everyone's missing the larger picture. Its not about wrong umpiring decisions. The point is that something needs to be done when there are as many as 12 and all of them against one team. Umpires will make mistakes and we will have to live with it. But 12 wrong decisions tender a protest which Indian did, ICC acknowledged and took action.

If your argument is that the reaction of a sizable number of Indian fans in the aftermath of Sydney was cringe-worthy, I'd agree. Ditto with the Indian media and their irresponsible, one-eyed jingoism. But if you're arguing that, in terms of the rub of the green, the Aussies got bent over the pickle barrel and shafted at Perth to the same extent that India did at Sydney, then you, kind sir, need to tell me the name of your dealer and whether his prices are reasonable. Also, Christ. Way to sh*t on the parade, Dhondy. :(

C'mon Dhondy, No time for PCness. Can't compare the howlers we got in Sydney to these minute errors umpires made. SRT got a similar decision as Hussey in this test. It's definitely not a howler. In Sydney we got errors on bump catches, asking fielders if the catch was good before the other umpire, catches hit from pads with the bat firmly behind the pads with Saint Gilly appealing. If Aus had got such howlers, there will be calls for Technology from CA, ICC, IPA, ITC, UPA, DDCI, and the even the Labor party. Got to see the magnitude of howlers before comparing the attitude of fans. Stuff your PCness for now.

Agree with Coffee. None of the Indian players claimed a bump catch, nor did Anil pick the ball off the turf and claim a catch nor did he act in the capacity of 4th umpire and rule a player out. The umpiring blunders committed in Sydney were absolutely outrageous. What about the 3rd umpire ruling Symonds not out when he was clearly stumped?!? The ones committed at Perth can be blamed on the "human" factor and both teams copped a fair share. So Punter had to STFU and suck it up!

What I object to is the characterization of these mistakes as some kind of conspiracy hatched by the evil Western axis against India, the "us-against-them" mob mentality, the defaulting to the victim role that we wear so well after a loss in a close run match.
Agree. Sydney was a shambles when umpiring was concerned, and a strong piece of evidence as to why that system must be reformatted - but that was NOT an excuse for defeat. India couldn't bat 70 overs on a final day and keep out Symonds and Clarke when it came to saving the match. To lose 10 wickets in a run chase is one thing, but in 70 overs with the majority falling to those part-time trundlers is terrible. Australia were the better team when the game came to a crunch, as well as India played, and I begrudge them nothing. And even with the umpiring errors here, I credit India fully. Umpiring had nothing to do with Ishant bending his back and producing one of the finest spells I've seen from a pace bowler, forget a 19 year old kid against one of the top batsmen of this era. Umpiring also had nothing with Pathan's fine displays of swing bowling and gutsy batting, or one of the finest displays of pure wicketkeeping skill I've ever seen from Dhoni, or Sehwag's attacking flair at the top of the order. Take it in perspective, yes - but take it as a win to be very proud of. [As far as the Aussies, I can imagine it's a loss they won't cry themselves to sleep over. They fought hard, went down fighting and graciously. Well done them. Now to Adelaide.]

Lest we forget - they are 2-1 up. 2-0 up till today. That is why they will lose no sleep. Theyre still faves for Adelaide We had the oppo of a lifetime to peg them back and draw the series in Sydney. We were denied that by the umpires. The point is - Perth mattered far less to Aus than Sydney did to us. Had the Aussies been on the recieving end in Sydney theere would have been outcry- no maybe not on the scale we produced...but there would have been nonetheless

Seriously Dhondy are you :stupid:? In Sydney the intangibles were somewhat in the range of 9-1 in favor of Aus. Here it was more like 5-5.

Seeing how close the Aussies got today, it's not inconceivable that the two umpiring mistakes against Hussey and Symonds cost them their improbable 17th victory. Just as the gaffes at Sydney cost us that match.
You sighted Symonds, Hussey's and Pathan's decisions. All of them at crucial junctures. Well in reponse to that SRT, Dhoni and Ponting all recieved wrong decisions at equally crucial junctures. Had SRT not been adjudged lbw, god knows how much india would have piled up in the first innings - for all we know australia could have been chasing a 500+ score so again please see both sides of the coin. Stop posting stupid things just because you are supposed to be bad guy on the forum. THINK for a change. In Sydney do I even need to remind everyone what happened? I personally was annoyed by the bump catches being claimed and the fact that bucknor did not refer one upstairs and how the THIRD UMPIRE FAILED TO GIVE A CORRECT DECISION. With knicks and close lbw's I don't have issues. Personally I found it stupid when some Indian fans were saying that isn't it unethical to appeal for an lbw when you know there's an inside edge and stuff like that. But dude those are the crazy guys on the forum - please don't join them.
Seriously Dhondy are you :stupid:? In Sydney the intangibles were somewhat in the range of 9-1 in favor of Aus. Here it was more like 5-5.
The mere fact that you are counting these things is quite disturbing. Are you sure you are really "Living" and not "Whingeing?"
The mere fact that you are counting these things is quite disturbing. Are you sure you are really "Living" and not "Whingeing?"
Whats so disturbing? Like I said, its a rough estimate. oh yeah and btw nice job avoiding the debate. And you'll probably say next, ooh I don't discuss these things with "Whingeing" or some similar $hit.
Whats so disturbing? Like I said, its a rough estimate. oh yeah and way to avoid the debate
Read this again, please.
What I object to is the characterization of these mistakes as some kind of conspiracy hatched by the evil Western axis against India, the "us-against-them" mob mentality, the defaulting to the victim role that we wear so well after a loss in a close run match.
You are obviously upset because you see me, that well-despised "bad guy of the forum" take credit away from an Indian win, by bringing in umpiring issues. Hence your defensive reaction, figures of 5-5, etc. Now apply the same yardstick to the Aussies and Sydney. Did the Aussie players umpire the match? If not, why do you take credit away from them?
Read this again, please. You are obviously upset because you see me, that well-despised "bad guy of the forum" take credit away from an Indian win, by bringing in umpiring issues. Hence your defensive reaction, figures of 5-5, etc. Now apply the same yardstick to the Aussies and Sydney. Did the Aussie players umpire the match? If not, why do you take credit away from them?
Yes, they did:D Punter gave dada out! :cantstop:
Did the Aussie players umpire the match? If not' date=' why do you take credit away from them?[/quote'] In case you didn't notice, Ponting did umpire the match on at least one occasion. Doesn't claiming bump catches hurt credibility? Oh yeah and credit does go to them for playing well, and for also doing anything to achieve victory. Also a lot of anger after the Sydney test was also due to the verdict against bhajji. It was not all about the umpires or Bucknor - however shocking some of their decisions might have been.
In case you didn't notice, Ponting did umpire the match on at least one occasion. Doesn't claiming bump catches hurt credibility?
It does, but he was taking advantage of a pre-series agreement reached with Kumble, because he wanted to win so badly. IMO, it was rather disingenuous of Kumble to allow him such latitude. So we have only ourselves to blame, you see.