So, what really happened to our bowling when #9 Mitch Jo was going bonkers!?

fineleg

I'm actually with fineleg. We won and it's fantastic but seriously, there's simply no excuse for a 70+ run partnership between the 9th and 10th batsman who were playing nothing but mindless slogs. And what makes it inexcusable was the way we bowled. It's like everybody collectively lost their minds. Nobody was sticking to line and length. No yorker attempts. Heck, nothing resembling a straight and full delivery on to the wickets. I saw Kumble bowling a bunch of looping gifts instead of firing in his top spinners. Ishant was barely making the batsman play and was bowling ridiculously short. This didn't change even when the new ball was taken. After Clark's wicket, India bowled a grant total of 2 deliveries that IF left would've hit the stumps.2. And not so surprisingly one of 'em took a wicket!

I thought this thread was started in jest, but reading some more, "Are you guys serious?". It happens so often in test cricket - a team is out of the match, tailenders throw around their bats, a few catches go down, some quick runs get scored, and then the end comes. It's one of the most predictable scripts of test cricket.

I thought this thread was started in jest' date=' but reading some more, "Are you guys serious?". It happens so often in test cricket - a team is out of the match, tailenders throw around their bats, a few catches go down, some quick runs get scored, and then the end comes. It's one of the most predictable scripts of test cricket.[/quote'] not in jest. Above script is ok, the only issue is when tailenders throw bats around then we dont have to mess our bowling. They will score a few and get out provided we keep our tactics clear. But we changed our tactic from ball to ball, lost consistency and finally when pathan brought the line & length, he snared the wicket. The bolded part is the issue we shud rectify.
not in jest. Above script is ok, the only issue is when tailenders throw bats around then we dont have to mess our bowling. They will score a few and get out provided we keep our tactics clear. But we changed our tactic from ball to ball, lost consistency and finally when pathan brought the line & length, he snared the wicket. The bolded part is the issue we shud rectify.
fineleg, humans are playing the game and when they see the opposition requires 160 with 2 wickets left they relax a bit, but tighten up as soon as things start getting serious again. Moreover, the plan in the last 10 overs was pretty clear. Wait for the new ball and in the mean time float some up to close it off quickly. Sorry to say, but your reading of test cricket once again falls short.
Shwetabh, This taking the foot of the pedal has caused issues for us in many matches (be it ODIs or Tests). The result ended favorably yesterday. But it is this 'relaxing' and getting distracted that has suddenly turned around matches.
fineleg, don't take it wrong but sometimes I feel that you want as much perfection out of the Indian cricket team(or any other for that matter) as in an office job. Yes, there are similarities with both being professional, but sports gives you only one chance. I used to get numerous chances in research, deriving and rederiving my equations. Its not the same in sports. With 160 to get and 2 wickets in hand and the new ball due in less than 10 overs if a team gets complacent for a few nothing wrong with it considering the intensity they were playing with.
fineleg, don't take it wrong but sometimes I feel that you want as much perfection out of the Indian cricket team(or any other for that matter) as in an office job. Yes, there are similarities with both being professional, but sports gives you only one chance. I used to get numerous chances in research, deriving and rederiving my equations. Its not the same in sports. With 160 to get and 2 wickets in hand and the new ball due in less than 10 overs if a team gets complacent for a few nothing wrong with it considering the intensity they were playing with.
Shwetabh, You also have to see that the game is about rhythm. If you say there is nothing wrong with it, realize that in several cases (not yesterday since we won), the rhythm changes, and you may have just let the match slip. That can and will happen if you take the foot of the pedal. We have all seen that happen in India's case, havent we?
Shwetabh, You also have to see that the game is about rhythm. If you say there is nothing wrong with it, realize that in several cases (not yesterday since we won), the rhythm changes, and you may have just let the match slip. That can and will happen if you take the foot of the pedal. We have all seen that happen in India's case, havent we?
When if ever was the last time any team chased down 160 runs with 2 wickets left?