Tri Series squad to be announced today. Who should make the cut?

DesiChap

NewsSelectors' face dilemma over Dravid choice for ODIs PTI MUMBAI, January 19: The national selection committee will meet on Sunday to choose the Indian cricket squad for next month's triangular ODI series in Australia with the biggest dilemma facing it whether to recall former captain Rahul Dravid. The other major problem confronting the five wise men would be the composition of the pace bowling department which has been weakened by the heel injury-induced absence of spearhead Zaheer Khan who is not available for the series as well as the one-off Twenty20 International against hosts Australia preceding it on February 1. Dravid lost his place in the One-day squad controversially after a string of poor scores against Australia in the home series preceding the one against Pakistan, but since then has opened in Tests Down Under and seems to have rediscovered a bit of his wonted form. More importantly the lack of form of Yuvraj Singh, to accommodate whom Dravid was asked to open Down Under in Tests, has left a huge hole in the middle order as men-in-form Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly are expected to open the innings while another middle order Test mainstay VVS Laxman is no longer in the selectors' radar for the 50-over-a-side game. Virender Sehwag, who has opened the innings in the ongoing Perth Test with some success, has also come back into the reckoning for the ODIs. The selectors would surely be tempted to give back Dravid his One-day slot, especially with young middle order batsmen Robin Uthappa and Rohit Sharma have not exactly been in peak for in domestic cricket. However, Uthappa and Sharma are expected to be included though players like S Badrinath, Manoj Tiwari, Suresh Raina and Cheteshwar Pujara are likely to be discussed for possible selection along with a dark horse like Parthiv Patel. From the present five-man pace battery in Australia, rookies VRV Singh and Pankaj Sharma are expected to return home along with Test captain Anil Kumble, who has already retired from the One-day game, and Laxman. Reserve 'keeper Dinesh Karthik, who had lost his place in the ODIs, could also be in that list. If he's fit pacer S Sreesanth, sidelined from the Test series in Australia because of a shoulder injury, and third opener Gautam Gambhir are expected to board the flight to Australia along with left-arm spinner Murali Karthik. But there's a question mark over right arm pacer Munaf Patel. Uttar Pradesh medium pacer Praveen Kumar, who was part of the ODI squad against Pakistan and played in the Jaipur ODI, has given a timely reminder to the selectors of his abilities with his splendid 8-68 haul on Friday in the Ranji Trophy final against Delhi. RP Singh, who has been in splendid form in Australia, exciting young talent Ishant Sharma and all-rounder-in-the- making Irfan Pathan are near-certain to retain their spots and form the core of the pace department. Only three selectors are to be present in Mumbai for the meeting - Dilip Vengsarkar, Sanjay Jagdale and Bhupinder Singh - while their colleagues Venkatapathi Raju and Ranjib Biswal - are in Australia currently. The discussion among the selectors, with One-day skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni in attendance in Australia, would be done over the telephone. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Dravid_dilemma_for_selectors/articleshow/2713148.cms

News Manoj Tiwary hopes to make the cut PTI KOLKATA, January 19: With only a day left before the national selectors pick the side for the triangular series in Australia, dashing batsman Manoj Tiwary is hopeful of making the cut after his strong showing in the domestic season. "I'm hopeful of a comeback. I am all keyed up to give my best for the country if the selectors repose faith in me. I am in good form. I have scored 550 plus runs this season already," Tiwary told in an interview. Looking fresh and confident after attending the five-day fitness test-cum camp at the Bangalore-based National Cricket Academy under the supervision of Dav Whatmore, Tiwary said he was now spending three hours daily at the net. "I am working on my batting and trying to fine tune some areas." The promising willower was included in the Indian squad for the tour to Bangladesh last May, but had to return from the neighbouring country without playing a single game after injuring his right shoulder during the nets. Besides his form, Tiwary's confidence was also boosted by the positive comments of some selectors about his chances. "Some selectors have said that if even one batsman is sent for the one-dayers, that will be me". Tiwary said the trip to the NCA was very productive. "I liked Dav's cricketing ideas. He saw me at the nets. He was impressed after watching me bat against the bowling machine". The Australian, who earlier coached Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, has asked Tiwary to go for a side-on stance. Praising Whatmore, Tiwary said, "He is very knowledgeable. His cricketing ideas and analysis of a cricketer's problems are very good. And I related to his ideas well as I have been groomed as a cricketer from a young age by my personal coach Manabendranath Ghosh who also has great ideas." Though the shoulder was now problem-free, Tiwary was following some rehab programmes that he was asked to do by the fitness experts in Bangalore. Asked how he kept himself focused on the game during the months away from the cricket field following the injury, Tiwary said, "Those were tough times. As I struggled to return to full fitness, I kept myself motivated by reading the life story of legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong who pedalled to glory after a tough but successful fight against cancer." Asked about his show of dissent and argument with the umpires after the doubtful dismissal against Uttar Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy match last month, Tiwary said, "That was something I should not have done. I apologised to the umpires later". Recalling the incident, he said, "That game was crucial. They (UP) had a good bowling attack and came with an experienced team. I was looking forward to playing a good knock. As the national selectors were also present, I was raring to do well before them. but then that decision upset my plans".

Tri Series squad to be announced today. Who should make the cut? I think VVS should make the cut ahead of RD (and GG). We don't have a set #3 in ODIs right now (And I think RPS should be rested). SG, SRT, VVS, Yuv, Dhoni, RU, RS, DK (as a middle order bat), ? HS, MK, IP, SS/IS, PK, MP, ?,