Bucknor: Is he fit to be an umpire?

Feed

Steve Bucknor, the ICC elite umpire, has said he would continue to officiate as at the international level for another year, if asked to by the ICC. Bucknor was sacked for the third Test between Australia and India in Perth after India complained over his performance in the fractious second Test in Sydney. More... Steve Bucknor, the ICC elite umpire, has said he would continue to officiate at the international level for another year if asked to by the ICC. Bucknor was removed from the third Test between Australia and India in Perth after India complained over his performance in the fractious second Test in Sydney. Speaking to the media during the Carib Beer Series match between Jamaica and Guyana at Sabina Park, Bucknor, 61, said he wasn't going to call time on his career immediately. His contract runs out in March this year. "I'm in reasonably good physical condition, seeing reasonably well," Bucknor said. "So I'll go on until I think it is necessary. If I'm asked to continue umpiring, I'm going to think seriously about continuing. I would not wish to go on beyond another year. If I'm asked to go on I would accept, but not beyond another year." Bucknor has stood in 120 Tests and 167 ODIs, including five consecutive World Cup finals. His career suffered a setback in the most recent final in the Caribbean, when he, along with the other officials, misinterpreted the rules regarding bad light. His next international assignment is in Bangladesh next month where South Africa tour for two Tests and three one-dayers.

"I'm in reasonably good physical condition, seeing reasonably well," Bucknor said. "So I'll go on until I think it is necessary. If I'm asked to continue umpiring, I'm going to think seriously about continuing. I would not wish to go on beyond another year. If I'm asked to go on I would accept, but not beyond another year."
Now I get it. Being able to see reasonably well is good enough for being an elite ICC umpire. Sounds to me Bucknor is a bit unsure about his sight. :haha:

Bucknor: Is he fit to be an umpire?

"I think I am seeing reasonable well, so I will go on until I think it is necessary. I can't stop anybody's opinion. I would not wish to go on beyond another year. If I am asked to go on for another year, I would accept, but not beyond."
Bucknor has given an interview, where he says - he can see reasonably well. How can ICC have him in an elite panel where bucknor himself talks openly about his eyesight. ICC should bring tough standards on how to evaluate umpire's capability - based on talent, fitness, vision etc. Or else, it would be a joke. The fans would lose interest in cricket because of the so-called bozos who care more about tradition and are reluctant to move this game forward.

he can continue to be a referee in foot ball. he can manage with his hearing and eye sight problems. (but it is entirely another thing if the hot headed foot ballers decide to kick him when ever he chooses to ignore his favorite team's fouls and award penalty against teams he hates)