Poll on forum policy

The Outsider

Poll on forum policy  

1. 1.

• Petty insults and any other abuse should be dealt with infractions leading to a ban
    • Petty insults should be discouraged(by edit/delete) but should not lead to a ban

what is the point of this policy when there is going to be no action taken or atleast you dont promise anything ? Are you sure you are not trying to encourage such behaviour ? And as far as my stand is concerned .... it has always been the same which I last said yesterday and here again : i.e I dont come here to see some lowlife kid come and abuse me or anyother serious contriutors to the site ... I spend millions of hours here (just as others do) and the last thing I want is to come here see some moron have fun because he has nothing to lose. There is no way in hell you or anyone is going to convince me to take abuse/insults because XYZ has no problems with such behaviour. If this situation continues I will be gone from here in a flash because I do not prefer to be part of such group and a team that encourages such behaviour by their inaction and dogged defense of such cretins. Thats my pre-rogative and it is independent of any poll and its outcome. You may prefer to be part of such site but I dont. To each his own.
Driving in circles, arent we ?:D The point behind running the poll was to have ONE rule for everybody. Given that, we wanted to find out whether there is any merit to the regulation you were proposing (petty insults resulting in bans). The poll proved conclusively that there was no merit to that thought. Posters here think insults such as idiots & fools arent abuses. Effectively they ack that they wont complain if such insults are thrown at them. Yesterday, you agreed to abide by the regulations approved by the masses. (In post #128 on this thread, you expressed your agreement). Why are you back pedalling all of a sudden ? CC's post in this thread suggests that he will steer clear of you. But i cant vouch for what he will or will not do. All we can do, is ensure that the rules are fair for everybody. If we have one rule for you & CC, the rest will complain. It will become unmanageable soon and we'll end up banning 90% of the board, reducing this place to rubble. Surely, you dont want that ? We will not encourage such insults. When possible, we'll edit such posts, if necessary delete them. Let it go and start afresh. Dont brood on this too much. Its not worth it.

Past experience and all that ... If you cannot moderate the forum in an unbiased and just manner please step down as a moderators.
Okay, despite having said that I won't harp around on this topic further, I'll repeat what I've said earlier. You are free to open a poll questioning my moderation and if the results are anything less than 75%, I'll step down immediately. Surely, that's fair? I can't keep everyone happy but if three fourths of the board thinks I am doing an okay job, surely you got to respect that decision, right? But given your past precedence of firstly not respecting majority mod votes, now not respecting majority posters vote, I doubt it'll make any difference on throwing up tantrums and dramas at the drop of a hat. But the offer is always open.

Again the point is such things have little effect on this guy (again past experience) . Now I need to know upfront what happens when this has no effect. Becuase i dont want to go thru this nonsense with you again. Straight answer please.
I dont intend to continue on this forever, Boss. Its certainly not worth your or my time. The answer you are looking for is in the poll results. Cross check my summary if reqd. My summary has EVERYTHING, I want to say on this topic. You can blame the mods for the inaction, incompetence, whatever, but how can you blame the public, esp, when such a poll was carried out in broad daylight ? If the polls had been in your favor, we'd have shut our tr@p & listened to you by now. Didnt we conduct the poll fairly ? Just accept the voice of the public & move on. PS: And oh btw, contrary to your beliefs, CC is not close to me by any stretch of imagination, for me to be biased towards him. Infact i know YOU a lot better than i know CC. (I dont even know his email id). So stop playing the 'bias' angle.

Okay' date=' despite having said that I won't harp around on this topic further, I'll repeat what I've said earlier. You are free to open a poll questioning my moderation and if the results are anything less than 75%, I'll step down immediately. Surely, that's fair? I can't keep everyone happy but if three fourths of the board thinks I am doing an okay job, surely you got to respect that decision, right? But given your past precedence of firstly not respecting majority mod votes, now not respecting majority posters vote, I doubt it'll make any difference on throwing up tantrums and dramas at the drop of a hat. But the offer is always open.[/quote'] Are moderators in this discussion forum selected by posters? If not then there is no reason posters should be able to strip a moderator from his duty by running a poll.

BB, I seriously suggest you put him on ignore and move on. He isn't going to change and moderation is not the answer in this case except a perm ban which isn't acceptable to many. I do have a small ignore list and it is working quite well. Yes, posts are quoted, but it isn't difficult to skip those quoted posts and the reponses as well.

Alright Boss! This board has 4000 members. Get about 30 odd regular members to agree to your request. If they all say, posters must be subject to heavy handed moderation for such petty insults, your wish is our command. If they dont, will you listen to us ? Or will you keep insisting that you are right & the world is wrong ?

Bumper, Majority has voted. I disagree collecting "30 members" votes...why are "30 members" with 3000 posts more important than someone who has only 200 posts? Majority is important, and whether regular members or occasional members, the votes are in.

And once again ... Iam not claiming that the World is right or wrong ... what Iam saying is .. Iam not prepared to take any nonsense from anybody here simply because I didnt sign up to get abused petty or otherwise ... you and others here might not have a problem with it .. but I do ...I dont expect you to bend any rules for me ... but dont expect me to stick around here putting up with such clowns. End of story.
So what are you gonna do BB? If I read you correctly you are insinuating that you would pack and leave. Okay fair enough. Now how does that help you tell me? You have close to 10,000 posts, about 20 a day. Plus of course you would view about 5 times that number a day. In other words you spend hours here. If you pack up and leave that essentially means it all goes down the tube. Plus what else is gonna happen? Someone else will leave with you? How many? 2? 3? 4? Again how does that help you? And even for argument sake we assume that it hurts ICF bad and we go down the tube as the earlier website it still wont do you any good. I mean why would you want to hurt a website which you have spent hours building. The way I look at it is you are in a lose-lose situation so let me do a man-to-man talk with you. Snap out of it! Whats the matter with you? ( assume me kicking your butt as I say it.) You want to win, here is what you do. You go back to doing what you do best - debate, crunch numbers, write articles etc. Let those who are at odds at you come back and admit, atleast to themselves if not infront of you, that yes you are one son of a gun. Let it go. You very well know I am right on this one. xxxx

yeah lets move those gazillion discussions we have had on this issue to the main forum and ask everyone to read and then vote ... why ? because none of these guys are aware of what has happened behind the scenes over the year. Heck I have pointed out numerous times on the admin forum how CC had violated all rules multiple times and no action was taken. Please dont make me dig up that past .. Iam not going to take this nonsense of "CC is an angel" anymore .... you got be kidding me FFS.
For argument's sake, let's say I have an axe to grind against you and let's also CC is a some bosom pal of mine, how is it any of it relevant to how the others view me as a moderator?
And havent the majority of mods (Except for a couple of you) expressed their view that CC is a bonafide trouble maker and adds nothing to the site ? Why is he still here then ?
That is an utter lie. On both occasions when CC was voted to be banned, he was. Bossbhai, just look at the advice from your fellow posters pouring in here. Put CC on the ignore list, let the moderators edit/delete petty abuses, hand out bans and infractions on major ones, and move on to what you do best - get some numbers crunching, make some solid posts. None of these guys wish ill for you. I suggest take their advice.

FFS bumps ... can you list out all the different types of violations that this guy has caused and the no.of times he has done that over the past year ... can you do this exercise please ? And once again ... Iam not claiming that the World is right or wrong ... what Iam saying is .. Iam not prepared to take any nonsense from anybody here simply because I didnt sign up to get abused petty or otherwise ... you and others here might not have a problem with it .. but I do ...I dont expect you to bend any rules for me ... but dont expect me to stick around here putting up with such clowns. End of story.
This is where, you are being a stickler. 200+ posts, so many mediators later, we are still back to square one. To make a deal, both sides must come down. Look at the no. of compromises we have made: 1) Brought out a private admin matter in public (just for you) 2) Got CC to agree with the terms & conditions of the poll (just for you) 3) Got the majority to bless the moderation policies, so its fair & just to everyone, including you. Even got an agreement from YOU that you will honor the poll (only for you to backtrack 24 hours later) But you are firmly stuck in your original spot. You havent budged an inch. How is this a fair negotiation ?

I am not in favour of banning people for petty abuse. But when a person uses personal and family abuse as a part of his debating plan...(as has been the case with CC)then mods should take action. My suggestion....no personal abuse beyond a point. No abuse of families at any cost. A person should be given a chance to reform . Allow 2 bans but the third one should be permanent.

uses personal and family abuse as a part of his debating plan...(as has been the case with CC)then mods should take action.
Beetle, kindly do not fall prey to Bossbhai's hogwash here. I went out of my way to promise the mods not to mention ANYTHING about family members because of BB's whine. But fact is, forum policy does NOT say 'don't mention family members' - it says 'dont abuse family members'. I still promised not to mention family anymore in relation to him, but you are a teacher, so judge this: How is saying ' i feel sorry for your wife to be stuck with a loser like you' akin to abusing your wife/family ? What is the abuse towards your wife/family ? Which word, what intent and insinuation ? The family member is used as a third person object to direct an insult towards YOU. So kindly, don't fall prey to his incessant whinage that i abused his family- i most categorically did not except when he called my mother a whore. I've ALWAYS used lines like 'i feel sorry for your parents to've given birth to a demon like you/i feel sorry for your wife to be stuck with a loser like you' to not just BB but in practically EVERY SINGLE instance where i mentioned family. Certain people with agenda and a very poor grasp of English are adept at lying and twisting things but i expect better from you really, since you are really one of the good folks here. Now, if you can tell me how is my abovementioned line abuse towards family, i will withdraw even this clarification ! Btw, i want it known that i raised NO issue with BB's behaviour recently (and i am still not demanding action- i want this for the record) or with his prefferntial treatment. I got banned twice for making comments like 'i feel sorry for your wife for being stuck with a looser like you'. I even clarified to the mods then that it wasn't abusive and they told me they understood it wasn't abuse but BB was creating too much of a stink and i needed a time out. I was okay with that (and still am). But this individual has gotten away scot-free for calling my mother a whore, my father a hijda etc etc. Hell, the mods have OPENLY said that nomatter what he does, he won't be banned because of his 'special value' (read: mind-numbing and quasi-statistical analysis of a $hitload of nonsensical stats). Yet this guy is whining away about how *I*, CC, gets prefferntial treatment. Amazing ! Ulta chor kotwaal ko daante is given a new meaning here.

I would find it insulting to bring in family members in any case, be it 1st person or 3rd person..I don't see the relevance here However, if 2 people are good friends on this board then its OK in humor but when there is spark around the debates all the time, these comments are bound to rile anyone up ( atleast IMO ) But again, you can't clap in one hand so in the interest of putting everything at ease, we can start fresh and just agree to some ground rules I, frankly learn a lot from you guys in those debates but when it spirals down to the fist fights, I just shut it down and I am sure others do the same There is another problem ( something which is not uncommon on forums ) is that the urge to have the last word,; nobody wants to just let it ago, its just keeps dragging Come to think of it, its just a thick wire, keyboard, monitor and a mouse.. So ICF Amnesty should take effect now...

I would find it insulting to bring in family members in any case, be it 1st person or 3rd person..I don't see the relevance here
Dude, tell me one thing: if i say ' i feel sorry for your parents to've given birth to a total a$$hole like you', how am i insulting your parents ? They are not being insulted or respected- they are potrayed in a perfectly neutral position in the abovementioned sentence. I just want clarification on this point, because i am being accused of insulting family members here- where i most categorically have NOT. I do not care about the ban in the past, but i do have an issue when i get mispotrayed because of some guy's incessant drive to spew propaganda. If i say ' i feel sorry for your dog, coz his owner is a real a$$hole', am i insulting your dog or you ? Likewise, if i say, ' i feel sorry for your wife to be married to a turdball like you', am i insulting you or your wife ?

Like I said, if you knew me or were good friends then those comments don't matter You are actually getting into technicalities, which we are avoiding here and its obvious that you would say such things to give it back. It's juts the idea of bringing of family members in the scenario, why does one even have to go there in the 1st place anyways? Also, it depends on your upbringing and friend circle, maybe some folks are reserved and really don't appreciate those comments The whole point is to avoid it, not encourage it

I understand that and i agree that the comment ( i feel sorry for your wife to be married to a turdball like you) is designed to cause offence. But it is a categoric falsehood ( or a total incompetency in understanding English- pick one) to say i've abused your wife by making a comment like that. Yes, you can whine about why i brought your wife in/that this is below the belt, etc etc. but to say that 'he abused my wife/family' is as categoric a LIE as it gets given that nowhere in my sentence, is ANYTHING positive or negetive mentioned about the wifey.

You know how I see this A 25 year old pot smoking kid coming out of a club debating with a man who is sitting in a restaurant with his wife and kid ordering paneer tikka Face to Face - the above is not possible, on the net with just keystrokes running around creates a problem The Kids comment is harmless according to him, but the restaurant guy takes it as a family insult Who is right, who is wrong? nobody knows..its how everybody takes it Since, we are all in one Big Multicultural Place here, we have to respect and curb that natural style we have Makes it easier for everyone and stops admins/mods from being resident lawyers

(read: mind-numbing and quasi-statistical analysis of a of nonsensical stats)
Mate, criticize BB if you must , I am not gonna comment on that , neither I am gonna take sides .But to suggest that his stats database is nonsensical is ludicrous. He does bring great value to the cricket discussion, deny that at your own peril. And I must add that you do bring great value in General discussion. For the health of this message board , the two of you patch up and move on.