Good batting pitch - but unfortunately India has squandered the advtg. of winning Toss!

fineleg

I am surprised at the restraint he/she/it has shown on this forum' date=' if anything ![/quote']
Its almost like Gangulians have crushed (her) spirit :)
This is very true. I have shown tremendous restraint as sgusa mentions, and the drama levels have been literally cut in half over the last many many months. Love of ICF? :icflove: Gangulians crushing my spirit? :eyedance: Heck, it may just be that India has not done as badly as I thought they will in the last few months :angel_smile: Or it maybe very simply that the bar for drama is so low at ICF, that it does not require much effort at all. There is only one competitor in GKD aka chunky and is missing most of the time :giggle: or can it, is it, would it be becos FL has just mellowed down :nervous: sgusa/cp/suraj would know that had it been the FL of before, the likes of WL, Shehezaada et.al. who dared me in this thread would have been crushed under my feet by now :angry_smile: ..........But what to do, mellowing happens over time *sigh* :D
Fineleg is indeed one of the most passionate cricket fans i have ever seen and i respect/adore him for that, but it would be nice if he shows a bit more patience/prudence the next time he wants to open a thread, rather than just mindlessly starting on something based on momentary frustrations.
So MM, all that mumbo jumbo, I'll try to simplify: As per you, when do you want me to open the bashing our players thread? 1. After the innings is over? 2. After the match is over? 3. Dont tell me not to open at all (unless ofcourse we win the match reasonably well, without almost attempting to lose it from a winning position) You see, I already exercised restraint, we have not taken a single wicket - and worse havent looked close to taking even a single wicket of Aus. I havent opened any thread, becos I have restrained myself to see how day-3 turns out first. My thread on our good/bad bowling will be at the end of day-3. Isn't that restraint good (regarding our bowling)? :P
Finey' date=' please go ahead and open whenever/whatever you want. No one is going to stop you ![/quote'] BTW MM, I have a question that I'd like you to answer: Take a look at the first post that you made in this thread. You agreed with me on this thread.
For a change' date=' I actually agree with Finey[/color']. 4 wickets before tea is probably 1 wicket too many to have lost. 2 of those wickets were soft, And i am referring to Sehwag and Ganguly's dismissals. We are in danger here, of totally losing the initiative here. We are, in fact, possibly, just one wicket away from losing this match I reckon.
Now, why do you call this mindless thread? Just becos India managed to cross 500? You agreed when we were tottering at 150ish for 4 wickets down. But now this thread becomes mindless? Why? I claim this thread talking abt our top order squandering the advtg is valid despite this 500, becos this bhajji, kumble batting is not something u'll see every Test. This thread was about our top order and why is this irrelevant and why shud the guys who got out without paying attention be excused becos AK and HS bailed them out?
BTW MM' date= I have a question that I'd like you to answer: Take a look at the first post that you made in this thread. You agreed with me on this thread. Now, why do you call this mindless thread? Just becos India managed to cross 500? You agreed when we were tottering at 150ish for 4 wickets down. But now this thread becomes mindless? Why? I claim this thread talking abt our top order squandering the advtg is valid despite this 500, becos this bhajji, kumble batting is not something u'll see every Test. This thread was about our top order and why is this irrelevant and why shud the guys who got out without paying attention be excused becos AK and HS bailed them out?
Good, now we are talking sense. Excellent. Specifically with respect to this thread, my contention is - Yes, the top order didnt exactly distinguish itself, but thats the way the game is, you dont always expect everything/everyone to click all the time ? You have just merely pointed a fact that is already there for everyone to see. Now, you tell yourself, what sort of worthwhile cricket discussion can we have, starting from the OP ? As the thread itself has shown, not a lot. At the best, people can either agree or disagree with you, that is all. Which is why I would really love it If i see a bit more thought in your OP. It would have been much more nicer had you analysed why we lost so many quick wickets, rather than just posting something that is there for everyone to see. To make it short and sweet, It would really good if your OP is such that it provokes an informed, fresh discussion on an interesting cricket topic, rather than just an outburst of frustration and anger.

Actually MM, we can analyze why we lost quick wickets if there were external reasons, pitch, or conditions, or even exemplary bowling. Many of our top order wickets were lost in lapse of concentration aka failing to grit it out and be focussed on a slowish pitch. There isnt something great to analyze in lack of 100% focus and application. Does that however mitigate frustration and anger at how beautiful it wud've been had our bats applied themselves better??? without trying to 1. half-cut,half-drive, 2.poke n prod 3. take chances playing across the line clearly and early in the innings.. Answer is NO as evidenced by a few others who posted in this thread. It does not mitigate our frustration, nor make us any more amenable to forgive 3 of our top order bats losing their concentration within 1.5 sessions of day-1. Some of you are more optimistic that despite our top order failing, we can put up a big score - that can be optimism, but not an excuse for poor shots already played. To make it short and sweet, there are threads which can provoke fresh discussion...i may not have started as many of those, but i sure have posted in those. Then there are these threads which RIGHTLY admonish poor performance of our bats (or bowlers or whatever) Why do we need to tolerate lack of application from any of our players by keeping mumb? It wasn't like super bowling got them out.

There should be threads that "admonish our players" ? Strange. Again what value or sense do you think it adds to the discussion ? Everything that you have said is perfectly right, yes there were some prods, some pushes, but dont you think all of us who have seen the match already recognize that ? Besides, what do you expect from a cricket team ? 100% good performances, always, from everyone ? Thats impossible. So what are going to do ? Start a thread admonishing them every time they fail ? Whats the point in it ? Which is precisely why, it would be so much better if the nature of your posts were different. For example, instead of merely posting how Wasim Jaffer keeps getting out early, if you can post about a pattern that you see in his dismissals, atleast the rest of us can learn and discuss about something. Just starting thread after thread, criticizing the players, doesnt take us anywhere as cricket enthusiasts. Yes, you are entitled as a passionate cricket fan to vent your frustrations, no thread is more or less relevant than any other thread, but it would be nice if you, as someone who knows a lot of cricket, engages in more worthwhile discussions that provoke thoughtful responses !

Actually MM, we can analyze why we lost quick wickets if there were external reasons, pitch, or conditions, or even exemplary bowling. Many of our top order wickets were lost in lapse of concentration aka failing to grit it out and be focussed on a slowish pitch. There isnt something great to analyze in lack of 100% focus and application. Does that however mitigate frustration and anger at how beautiful it wud've been had our bats applied themselves better??? without trying to 1. half-cut,half-drive, 2.poke n prod 3. take chances playing across the line clearly and early in the innings.. Answer is NO as evidenced by a few others who posted in this thread. It does not mitigate our frustration, nor make us any more amenable to forgive 3 of our top order bats losing their concentration within 1.5 sessions of day-1. Some of you are more optimistic that despite our top order failing, we can put up a big score - that can be optimism, but not an excuse for poor shots already played. To make it short and sweet, there are threads which can provoke fresh discussion...i may not have started as many of those, but i sure have posted in those. Then there are these threads which RIGHTLY admonish poor performance of our bats (or bowlers or whatever) Why do we need to tolerate lack of application from any of our players by keeping mumb? It wasn't like super bowling got them out.
I see your point Finey but a sport can never really be scripted perfectly. There sure was a time when this team dropped like pack of cards when couple of batsmen couldn't get going but not anymore. These guys are quite seasoned right now and the amount of experience India boasts in test cricket is staggering. Majority of the players have played for a long time and have played against really good players. With experience comes confidence and this team doesn't lack much. It's hard to expect everyone to score all the time. If you have played cricket you will know all it takes for a batsman to fall is a very little mistake. It's not lack of effort or application but it just happens. It simply can't be explained the fall of wickets. A bowler gets a chance to adjust given the number of balls he can bowl despite not being in good form but batting is all about that single moment. If you are lucky you can get away playing bad shots but even when you are at the best you can still commit a little mistake and there goes the wicket. Not all of them come with same luck every time. You have to take it as it comes.

Another point finey.. think about it this way. The players didnt do what happenned in the first session intentionally. If you've played a fair amount of cricket, you'll know that mistakes happen.You may be the best batsman the world has ever seen, in peak form, but still, all it requires is a ball to hit a crack on the pitch and take the edge. The players in the team are there because they are supposed to be the best we've got. Not everything works out as perfectly as you want it to be, and that is sport. Mistakes happen, and we got to learn to live with them. Its not the end of the world, but we need to make sure we dont repeat them. All I expect from this team is to fight hard. Another important aspect is that you only open pessimestic threads, and threads that are criticizing the players. We crossed 500 , did you open a thread? We won the perth test, did you open a thread? I've only seen you look at the negative aspects, never seen you think positively.. like "What can we take from here". I hardly remember you saying "Its very heartening to see our performance". When have you ever started a positive thread?

Another point finey.. think about it this way. The players didnt do what happenned in the first session intentionally. If you've played a fair amount of cricket' date=' you'll know that mistakes happen.You may be the best batsman the world has ever seen, in peak form, but still, all it requires is a ball to hit a crack on the pitch and take the edge. The players in the team are there because they are supposed to be the best we've got. Not everything works out as perfectly as you want it to be, and that is sport. Mistakes happen, and we got to learn to live with them. Its not the end of the world, but we need to make sure we dont repeat them. All I expect from this team is to fight hard. Another important aspect is that you only open pessimestic threads, and threads that are criticizing the players. We crossed 500 , did you open a thread? We won the perth test, did you open a thread? I've only seen you look at the negative aspects, never seen you think positively.. like "What can we take from here". I hardly remember you saying "Its very heartening to see our performance". When have you ever started a positive thread?[/quote'] If finey did not make pessi threads (s)he wont be called Pessileg for nothing!!! Its the flavor (s)he brings to the DG.