India U19 Challenger Trophy

Mosher

14 minutes ago, nsareen said:

Yeah, but not seen him so cant really comment, hope he is good, but went for runs today. I've seen Rathva & he looks like a good talent, in the mould of Pandya Brothers.

but scored some runs 55 in 34 balls with 5 sixes. We need someone like him at 6-7 as this team lacks such hitters. Though not sure how good his bowling is.

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

but scored some runs 55 in 34 balls with 5 sixes. We need someone like him at 6-7 as this team lacks such hitters. Though not sure how good his bowling is.

yeah!

Also i feel Nalkande is a big hitter too & can bowl, but his bowling is expensive.

6 minutes ago, nsareen said:

yeah!

Also i feel Nalkande is a big hitter too & can bowl, but his bowling is expensive.

and has not been good with the bat too. His bowling stats hover between excellent and poor. No middle ground. First game he took 5 wickets, next game got thrashed. 

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

and has not been good with the bat too. His bowling stats hover between excellent and poor. No middle ground. First game he took 5 wickets, next game got thrashed. 

I wonder why Om Bhosale was not given a game today, he is much better than Chavan. Spinners are not great this time, average finger spinners & Chahar is an Okish leg spinner, doesn't have a good googly or top spinner.

11 minutes ago, nsareen said:

I wonder why Om Bhosale was not given a game today, he is much better than Chavan. Spinners are not great this time, average finger spinners & Chahar is an Okish leg spinner, doesn't have a good googly or top spinner.

Chahar for me is a huge talent, turns the ball a long way and very accurate. will develop other things later but the most important thing is to have a good leg break which he does have. He for me will be better than Kuldeep.

37 minutes ago, msplash9 said:

http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/series/m185269/live-streaming/2001703984

Ishaan Porel bowled an excellent first over. But pace is around 128K only

was bowling slower initially, trying to concentrate on line and length and then in 5th over batsmen stepped out and hit him for six and then next 4-5 balls were 135 plus.  I think he is holding himself back and not going all out like he did in the streamed Ranji game. He has a history of injuries.

Poor performance by U19s, very inconsistent performances by most players when everyone is looking upon them. On the other hand Sri Lanka U19s have benefitted a lot going strength to strength. If they win the final, it would be an embarrassment. India Blue should win the final.

Overall there are not many consistent batsmen in the current U19 setup. Prithvi Shaw is too over confident & Shubman will have too much pressure on him. Rana / Kalra are too inconsistent along with Sharma / Parag / Badoni / Ankush. I'm surprised there are no players who are consistent enough like the last batch of Sarfraz / Sundars & Anmolpreet Singh.

In the bowling i must say Nagarkoti Disappointed the most to me. After a stellar performance in the domestic & in England i thought he would be too hot to handle, but all top order batsmen had a feast when he came to bowl, very inconsistent in line & length in pursuit of going for more speed which is not bad but the extras killed the momentum & confidene. He has the skills i just hope he realizes he needs to play according to the situation to help the team win matches.

The only player i would say are a bit consistent are Rathva, Porel & Mavi who have done their bit to the team cause even in loss, but have a good temperament.

Other bowlers i would say are at par & very RAW. Arshdeep looks good, Thakare being slow is consistent & mandeep is a work in progress.

In Spinners i would say only Shiva Singh & Chahar made an impression, the rest did not do much & is not a good thing. I was hoping for Tyagi to do well but he flopped, probably has the game for the longer version than LOI.

In keepers i would say U Patel did well got run out which is unfortunate but looked good, desai has not done well after shining in the home season against england.

Selection for World Cup will be challenging & would have to make some compromises.

Pace bowling Bowling is where India will have to choose from : Decent pure bowlers are Porel, Arshdeep & Thakare but lacks in batting, on the other hand Mavi, Nagarkoti looks for sure shot selections but as explained nagarkoti is not as effective as was assumed to be, but has some skills with the bat. Nalkande is a hot & cold allrounder who doesnt know how will he turn up on the day, so a very very risky selection.

Edited by nsareen

Nagarkoti is coming back from a long break, so, will give him a benefit of doubt.

Nagarkoti

Mavi

Thakre

Arshdeep

Mandeep

Porel

Nalkande

These are 7 contenders or 5 slots of pacers as the WC will be played in NZ, we wont need too many spinners. Chahar and Abhishek Sharma will be enough. Mavi and Porel are shoe in for me and should start the first XI. Nagarkoti will also be there as he to me is a better alrounder than Nalkande. I wont pick Nalkande in the squad.  and then tussle is between Mandeep, Arshdeep and Thakre 3 tall but different pacers for two slots. i would pick Ashdeep and Mandeep but they might go for Thakre in place of Mandeep and Nalkande in place of Arshdeep.

Edited by rkt.india