Any1 here from Dubai

3rd Man

Where in Dubai man
well mirdif..if u know were it is..But in all honesty..Dubai is the most overrated hell on Earth. I have lived here my whole life and the treatment dished out to asians is absolutely disgusting. Right from the salaries to the general racism that exists in the country against Indians. Cant wait to return back to India

?? Mirdif? never heard of it and I am amazed at what you say about Dubai..I thought Dubai was great, have lot of family and old school friends with businesses there and visited plenty of times, its almost 2nd India Really, I have never heard anything like you say about Dubai; what happened with you?

Hmm..I am suprised that you havent heard about the appalling treatment given to the lower income category. Most of us are aware of the situaton but we choose to ingore it as long as the money keeps coming. Actually the company I work for has faced a lot of worker strikes. These people have been without for months on end. We(as in the engg dept) just ignore it, but the anger will feel is genuine.

It depends who you work for. Since its more like a 'kingdom' the laws are not so well defined. For people like construction workers etc. its a definite hell hole. Even lower middle class will find it tough t get by (~$20k). Upper middle class and rich folk can have a good time there - coz there is lots to do IF you have money. Life is pretty shitty for kids/teenagers unless you have a car and loads of dough to throw around. Traffic is BAD, but well thats the case in most big cities. They are working on it, but most ppl doubt how effective their metro and other new modes of transportation will be. Good things about dubai - its the perfect India abraod. You can get all the stuff like baee's to clean your house, cheap dhobi etc. No trouble finding Indian food, lots of Indian ppl to mix around with. All that with a clean city and the angrezi lifestyle is pretty good. I personally haven't decided where to go after graduation, Dubai is a probability but I would have to be RICH AS FACK if I were to go back. Seriously.

Hmm..I am suprised that you havent heard about the appalling treatment given to the lower income category.
It's a well know fact that Asians/Indians are treated like crap in Dubai (in general).
Err no. Dubai is very much like India in this regard- if you got good education and a good job, you are royalty. If you are stuck doing labour jobs, you get treated like cr@p. I've been to Dubai many times, lived for 4 years in total just a stone's throw from Dubai - in social practices, its very much like a 'richer version of India'. If you have money/education, everyone likes you. if you are a truck-driver, you are scum. The whiter you are(just like in India), more chicks/more social status you get. Ie, it is very typically 'asian' in this regard.

The major issues with UAE is it's still lacking full "freedom of religion". But considering barbaric nature of arab Islamism whatever religious freedom you are getting in Dubai should be considered as a great gift. The worst thing I observed during my past travels in Dubai was in Ramadan- Muslim fasting month --they shut down all the eating outlets in day time. Even drinking water bottl;e coolers are removed ...:giggle: add to that, even if you take some eatery and try to eat it in public you will be fined....I said WTF, why Ummah wants to impose it's will on non-Muslims, in 7th century arabia way?? So I decided to write an opinion in Khaleej Times when I returned back to Mumbai....needless to say they never published my opinion, but instead I received a reply from editors desk that eating publically is not allowed because, the sight of others eating will increase the craving for food for those who are fasting....:hysterical:

sandtest its their country and culture YOU/WE are going there? I don't think we should complain about what they do in the month of ramadhan, thats their business You know most of the big businesses are owned by Hindus who have Arabic partners, it's been going on since so many years, there is no income tax and like everyone realizes, you have money..you got a great life there I really don't see the Islamic relevance here, its the most liberal place after Bahrain IMO

The major issues with UAE is it's still lacking full "freedom of religion".
It is only a major issue to religious nutters. It also lacks freedom in human rights, women's rights, sexual rights- so why is religious right taking precedence over them all ?
The worst thing I observed during my past travels in Dubai was in Ramadan- Muslim fasting month --they shut down all the eating outlets in day time. Even drinking water bottl;e coolers are removed
Utterly false. Dubai has a HUGE non-muslim population and while it is true that most restaurants/coffee-shops shut down during ramadan, most fast food places and some ethnic cuisine places remain open and so do supermarkets. The restaurants instead adopt the 'seista' model, where everything shuts down for 3-4 hrs in the afternoon, much like in the not-so-recent-past of mediterranean(and still practiced in the boonies). They do this to keep the store open much later into the night to cater to the majority muslim population. As such, logistics, greed, etc. ensure that instead of hiring more staff for ramadan, they just shut down for 3-4 hrs and stay open later in the night. I don't see this as religious malice, it is pure and simple economics. If majority of your customers will sleep in the afternoon/mid-morning and shop at 3am, you, the store-owner, will also follow the same model- its simple business/consumerism 101.
add to that, even if you take some eatery and try to eat it in public you will be fined
Yeah. pretty retarded. In this aspect, Qatar was more liberal.

, its the most liberal place after Bahrain IMO
Actually,the most liberal place in the mid-east happens to the oft-forgotten Oman. Not only are their religious/human rights laws far more civilized, they are actually pretty friendly/non-concerned about religious practices of the individual. Except ofcourse, the die-hards that exist in every religion and shouts from the roof-tops. Apna Sandtest is no different, only thing is, he is dressed with a choti and geeta in hand instead of mooch-bina-dari + Koran in hand. But the people by and large there are quite liberal. There are also hindu/buddhist temples/places of worship in Muscat and they've been there for a very very long time. IMO, mid-east rank of tolerance (though it is still lagging behind most of the west/ India/Japan etc): 1. Oman 2. Bahrain 3. Qatar 4. UAE 5. Lebanon 6. Jordan . .. ..

sandtest its their country and culture YOU/WE are going there? I don't think we should complain about what they do in the month of ramadhan, thats their business
No problem with that arguement Rajeev...In fact I will whole heartedly concur with your view that it's their country and culture analogy as long as people are going their for VISIT/TOURISM/SHORT BUSINESS TRAVEL. But here I am talking about millions of Indian, Sri Lankan and Nepali labors who are non-Muslims and are there on RESIDENT VISA -- i.e. UAE government have given them Visa for more than 3 years for contributing in their countries growth and development in return a very low wages are paid. Now to main issue, I have no problem with Ummah fasting on Ramadaan, but my problem is that when a labor worker (some of them are their for more than 20 years) wants to eat/drink if he feels hungry/thirsty so....why he is NOT allowed?? Let me tell it's "officially" not allowed by government. how then UAE government is any different than radical Talibani terrorists following 7th century doctrine of radical Islam?? Talibunnies also enforce strict NO eating/drinking for anyone including Kuffars. Take an example of India here, I and many Indians in India do fast during Krishna Janmashtami...But we never demanded that all Christians, Muslims, Budhists, Jains should not be eating because we are fasting?? Isn't our country/ our culture applies here as well?? so why when it comes to India we dhimmi Indians and Indian elitist media adopt double standard?? I see hardly any documentary on dhimmi IBN and commie NDTV regarding oppression of resident expatriates in Gulf....instead I see a highly self-apologetic comments like "it's their culture" yada yada. Mind you UAE was the FIRST government in whole world to officially RECOGNIZE TALIBAN, they even had an office in Abu Dhabi.
You know most of the big businesses are owned by Hindus who have Arabic partners, it's been going on since so many years, there is no income tax and like everyone realizes, you have money..you got a great life there
hardly!! Let me put it in this way.......DUBAI has the least OIL in fact Now they have NO OIL...at present in terms of OIL they are like any other city of India. This was realized by Late UAE King Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan and Al Maktoum ruling family of Dubai 2 deacdes back.....So they carefully started becoming relativelly "liberal" to attract business investment so that their wealth can be preserved by diverting the dependence of economy which was so far ONLY on OIL....Till before UAEs whole economyy was dependent on Oil. The interest was "ONLY" business. Tax exemption was just apart of it, otherwise who do you think will go to these places where summer temperature is always more than 45C. Now that said, there are several related reasons like arabs were still like 7th century tribes knowing nothing more than Arabic....They needed manpower and cheap "technical" knowhow to boost infrastructre and rapid development to sustain the economy and divert it's dependence from OIl to Business. I will say, what UAE is today, it is due to India and cheap Indian labor, technical know how....Dubai is built on the blood and sweat of poor Indian labors particularly from Kerala etc.

I will say, what UAE is today, it is due to India and cheap Indian labor, technical know how....Dubai is built on the blood and sweat of poor Indian labors particularly from Kerala etc.
This is true, but massively overstated yet again. Why are you spinning this as India's credit ? The entire gulf is built on foreign immigration power- but don't discount the Brits, where there are a $hitload of them in technical fields ( HUGE representation in Engineering & Technical related fields in almost EVERY gulf nation). There are also tonnes and tonnes of Bangladeshis, Philipinos and Sudanese there. Not to mention, there are enough of the 'rest of the world' put together ( ie, add in the Koreans, Japs,Brazilians,Americans, Canucks,etc) and you get a size just as big as any of the other groups mentioned. Gulf is actually a shining example of multicultural success primarily because of insane money potential and relative moderation of the ruling class towards foreigners. Saudi and Kuwait are notable examples ofcourse.

IMO, mid-east rank of tolerance (though it is still lagging behind most of the west/ India/Japan etc): 1. Oman 2. Bahrain 3. Qatar 4. UAE 5. Lebanon 6. Jordan
I didn't find Muscat or Manama any better than Dubai. Also be careful when lumping all the emirates of the UAE into one entity. All the 7 emirates of the UAE have different laws, for example in Sharjah guys can't even wear shorts in public - I know lame.
Now to main issue, I have no problem with Ummah fasting on Ramadaan, but my problem is that when a labor worker (some of them are their for more than 20 years) wants to eat/drink if he feels hungry/thirsty so....why he is NOT allowed?? Let me tell it's "officially" not allowed by government. how then UAE government is any different than radical Talibani terrorists following 7th century doctrine of radical Islam?? Talibunnies also enforce strict NO eating/drinking for anyone including Kuffars. Take an example of India here, I and many Indians in India do fast during Krishna Janmashtami...But we never demanded that all Christians, Muslims, Budhists, Jains should not be eating because we are fasting??
Dude you CAN eat - how lame are you? You just can't eat outdoors.. Just grab a bite from the restaurants (which are open even during daylight - you can only take away though) go back to your apt and have lunch or whatever. It's more about respecting culture, even if you eat discretely outside, you won't be fined. If you do something stupid like wave around your food or some $hit then well you DESERVE to be fined. Its something similar to someone spitting on the Indian flag. Religion is a part of their govt - if you don't like, don't go there. We like it, don't mind it - so are happy here. And you guys keep talking about poor laborers being exploited. Guess what its not the govt thats doing it, its the facking rich Indian and Iranian Ba$tards who are manipulating the laws and treating those guys like slaves. In fact recently the govt granted pardon to lots of laborers who were illegally staying in the UAE, and they were given the option of returning to India and then coming back legally again.