Lead fast bowler

vvvslaxman

Zak was definitely the leader of the bowling attack. One reason for that being there was no one near to the skill set of Zak. Zak could have taken more five fers, but he did not. That is one aspect he underperfromed. As a bowler he had all the skill sets. undoubtedly the best we had in thoise times. Whereas now Bhuvi and Shami, although undoubtedly very different in terms of pace, swing, movement, they at least are close competitiors. The difference whatever exists is all due to form than the quality. 

Umesh Yadav cannot be a leader of bowling attack. Honestly he even is a risky pick in playing 11 now. He has no consistency of line and length whatsoever. No way he has the basics of test match bowling correct to lead the other bowlers. Ishant Sharma had ample of opportunity to be the leader of bowling attack, but even he could not give justice to the role.

18 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Zak was definitely the leader of the bowling attack. One reason for that being there was no one near to the skill set of Zak. Zak could have taken more five fers, but he did not. That is one aspect he underperfromed. As a bowler he had all the skill sets. undoubtedly the best we had in thoise times. Whereas now Bhuvi and Shami, although undoubtedly very different in terms of pace, swing, movement, they at least are close competitiors. The difference whatever exists is all due to form than the quality. 

Umesh Yadav cannot be a leader of bowling attack. Honestly he even is a risky pick in playing 11 now. He has no consistency of line and length whatsoever. No way he has the basics of test match bowling correct to lead the other bowlers. Ishant Sharma had ample of opportunity to be the leader of bowling attack, but even he could not give justice to the role.

Zak had skills but what let him down was his fitness.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Zak had skills but what let him down was his fitness.

Zak was the most complete bowler we had after Kapil Dev, Not even Srinath was completely skilled. Srinath started to move the ball the wrong way only in the very last phase of matches he played and that too was not much. Zak whereas got it both ways much before and much more effectively. Being a fast bowler he had injuries as well. Part and parcel for pace bowlers. Outdoor sportsmen have to cope up with that.

9 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Zak was the most complete bowler we had after Kapil Dev, Not even Srinath was completely skilled. Srinath started to move the ball the wrong way only in the very last phase of matches he played and that too was not much. Zak whereas got it both ways much before and much more effectively. Being a fast bowler he had injuries as well. Part and parcel for pace bowlers. Outdoor sportsmen have to cope up with that.

i am not talking about injuries here. Injuries do happen. Fitness has nothing do with injuries. The fittest players can get injured. I am talking about fitness to sustain intensity in bowling.  Zak has lost it many a times where he would just go through the motion when you needed him step up and win the game. The biggest example was 2010 Capetown test when he had to up the ante, he started bowling innocuously gentle stuff at 120-125K, no intensity. It was embarrassing to see that stuff.  he has done it many a times. Last SA tour too.  

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i am not talking about injuries here. Injuries do happen. Fitness has nothing do with injuries. The fittest players can get injured. I am talking about fitness to sustain intensity in bowling.  Zak has lost it many a times where he would just go through the motion when you needed him step up and win the game. The biggest example was 2010 Capetown test when he had to up the ante, he started bowling innocuously gentle stuff at 120-125K, no intensity. It was embarrassing to see that stuff.  he has done it many a times. Last SA tour too.  

Fitness has nothing to do with injuries? No way, totally wrong statement. Where does this comes from ? Personal experience or some article. I will share my view why i do not agree with the statement that you have made.

When we played club cricket we used to do fitness first stuff, to warmup, so that there were less chances of injuries even while bowling or batting in nets. Even when we played 50 overs matches we were supposed to mandatorily attend a half hour fitness session before match. There was a reason to it.  Even the Under 14 State probables that we coached we made them undergo fitness sessions. The more the fitness, the flexibility the better it is to avoid injury. i will explain this as well. A lot of times some of us used to dive to save ball crossing the boundary or take diving catches.  What you term as a fitness session is way different than what a lot of club cricketers think of a fitness session. It is entirely different how two different people will approach fitness as per their requirements of performance and fitness in cricket.  The more fitter ones dared to dive because we knew we were capable of coping with injury. I hardly got injured due to diving apart from cuts on chins, arms, legs. But no diving efforts kept me away form cricket. Others if they had dived (they did not even dare to) would have got injured one single dive. A lot is included in fitness sessions in our days and i guess today the fitness sessions are more relevant. We used to play only 50 overs cricket, the guys now play 3 day cricket as well.  And our coach was one time on Indian selection panel. He still is a well known coach and reputed person in Indian cricket.

Edited by Straight Drive
20 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Fitness has nothing to do with injuries? No way, totally wrong statement. Where does this comes from ? Personal experience or some article. I will share my view why i do not agree with the statement that you have made.

When we played club cricket we used to do fitness first stuff, to warmup, so that there were less chances of injuries even while bowling or batting in nets. Even when we played 50 overs matches we were supposed to mandatorily attend a half hour fitness session before match. There was a reason to it.  Even the Under 14 State probables that we coached we made them undergo fitness sessions. The more the fitness, the flexibility the better it is to avoid injury. i will explain this as well. A lot of times some of us used to dive to save ball crossing the boundary or take diving catches.  What you term as a fitness session is way different than what a lot of club cricketers think of a fitness session. It is entirely different how two different people will approach fitness as per their requirements of performance and fitness in cricket.  The more fitter ones dared to dive because we knew we were capable of coping with injury. I hardly got injured due to diving apart from cuts on chins, arms, legs. But no diving efforts kept me away form cricket. Others if they had dived (they did not even dare to) would have got injured one single dive. A lot is included in fitness sessions in our days and i guess today the fitness sessions are more relevant. We used to play only 50 overs cricket, the guys now play 3 day cricket as well.  And our coach was one time on Indian selection panel. He still is a well known coach and reputed person in Indian cricket.

yes, i still fitness has nothing to do with injury. Especially fast bowlers. KL Rahul is one of the fittest players in this team, still got injured.  You think Pattinson lacked fitness and got injured or Cummins. No. It is the stress that lead to their injuries. Aaron and Umesh fittest of the guys got multiple back stress fractures. Zak never had big injuries like these two guys. What he had poor work ethics, excess flab that lead to lack of stamina and loss of intensity quicker than other best fast bowlers of his generation. Same was the case with Shoaib in mid part of his career. Poor work ethics.

13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, i still fitness has nothing to do with injury. Especially fast bowlers. KL Rahul is one of the fittest players in this team, still got injured.  You think Pattinson lacked fitness and got injured or Cummins. No. It is the stress that lead to their injuries. Aaron and Umesh fittest of the guys got multiple back stress fractures. Zak never had big injuries like these two guys. What he had poor work ethics, excess flab that lead to lack of stamina and loss of intensity quicker than other best fast bowlers of his generation. Same was the case with Shoaib in mid part of his career. Poor work ethics.

We both have probably had a very different approach to how we played cricket and how we took fitness in cricket. So fair enough, what worked for me may not have worked for you or vice versa. But i would agree to disagree. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

We both have probably had a very different approach to how we played cricket and how we took fitness in cricket. So fair enough, what worked for me may not have worked for you or vice versa. But i would agree to disagree. 

what i understand is fittest players have been injured. You think ABDV got injured because he was unfit or Dale Steyn was unfit.  Fitness does play some part in injury management, but only some.  The role of fitness is to keep the intensity on the ground for a longer period of time. If you are fit, you might run faster, react quicker, focus better, but you can still get injured. Injury happens due to stress. Yes, unfit players will get injured more frequently but types of those injuries will be different. Stress related injuries are unavoidable even for the fittest, especially, when it comes to fast bowlers.  Zaheer even if he was not injured, he lacked that bowling fitness i was talking about where he struggled to maintain the intensity for 5 days.  

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

what i understand is fittest players have been injured. You think ABDV got injured because he was unfit or Dale Steyn was unfit.  Fitness does play some part in injury management, but only some.  The role of fitness is to keep the intensity on the ground for a longer period of time. If you are fit, you might run faster, react quicker, focus better, but you can still get injured. Injury happens due to stress. Yes, unfit players will get injured more frequently but types of those injuries will be different. Stress related injuries are unavoidable even for the fittest, especially, when it comes to fast bowlers.  Zaheer even if he was not injured, he lacked that bowling fitness i was talking about where he struggled to maintain the intensity for 5 days.  

Fitness helps to reduce injuries or chances of injuries, not totally avoid it.  By no way i am saying that those who do personalized fitness sessions to meet their performance on cricket field will never get injured. 

17 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Fitness helps to reduce injuries or chances of injuries, not totally avoid it.  By no way i am saying that those who do personalized fitness sessions to meet their performance on cricket field will never get injured. 

According to me, a player below required fitness standards should not even be picked even if he is not injured and can bowl or bat.  Fitness lets the team down especially for a fast bowler even if he has the skills.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

According to me, a player below required fitness standards should not even be picked even if he is not injured and can bowl or bat.  Fitness lets the team down especially for a fast bowler even if he has the skills.

Fitness tests have come into importance in those regards. It is the basic determination of a sportsman's ability to perform in the concerned game. No doubt the fitness tests have claimed their importance in cricket and players are actually being dropped if they do not pass the test.  

Yes, they become more crucial for bowlers as their body has to exert a lot more energy and minerals drain is more evident in pacers for obvious reasons like more sweating due to fast pace and energy output. It would also be better to make a warmup match mandatory for players before reincluding them post injury. A 4 day match or 2 to 3 day warmup  will test some parameters more which are not tested in a short timed fitness test.