Sri Lanka vs India : The series build-up

Gambit

well offcourse he won't unless there is some injury to our key player, but thing is the the addition of Sharma in the squad is a worrying factor because this makes one believe that guys like Badrinath and all who have been piling runs in Domestic cricket aren't in contention for future test series too since Rohit sharma has been selected. there aren't many slots to snatch in test squad, just one or two, and this rare slot has been awarded to Rohit Sharma for no reason
No reason? This guy has been doing well for India in the past year. He has a solid technique. What has Badri done, really. Even Parthiv has been plundering bowlers in Ranji trophy! I think he even averages more than Badri in the last season!
I am a fellow punjabi! Don't shoot the messenger! Only reporting what the NDTV news channel is reporting!
Haha..You think I give **** about what those news channels say ? This crap attitude talk has been going on for so long. When he dined with that long limbed actress in OZ, people started saying he is only interested in that. I mean, come ON!!..agreed he wasnt playing well, but what is he supposed to do ? Not have dinner ? and play all night ? Mofo news channel reporters with the most pathetic job in the world..:devil_smile:

excellent squad, the selectors r doing the perfect thing drafting in 3 of the best young talents in GG, rohit and ojha into the test team apart from gambhir the other 2 may not play but it will be a good experience to spend time with the greats of indian cricket, things looking good for the future

Also Ojha looked cr#p! How the hell has he been selected over Mishra. Does Ojha even turn it? No
ohja seemed better than any bowler so far... more than bhajji i would say. Left armer spinner are good to have but i doubt if he even plays... also doubt if rohit gets a chance.
excellent squad, the selectors r doing the perfect thing drafting in 3 of the best young talents in GG, rohit and ojha into the test team apart from gambhir the other 2 may not play but it will be a good experience to spend time with the greats of indian cricket, things looking good for the future
this is a joke squad... 2 pathetic keepers... 1 i dont know jack batsman named, Rohit sharma.... mishra would have been better imo BUT ohja was brilliant in recent odi series...
o great mouni' date=' tell us...instead of the '2 pathetic keepers', who would u, the king of kings, have picked??[/quote'] karthick? what jack did he do? parthiv has improved... still wouldnt trust them. I would just want someone who can catch everything they get!!
karthick? what jack did he do? parthiv has improved... still wouldnt trust them. I would just want someone who can catch everything they get!!
no name comes to mind?? there is no1 better (except dhoni, whos not playing) then these too...

'Playing Murali and Mendis won't be a problem' 'Mendis has that weird action... so it is not easy when you play against him for the first time. But the more you play against him, the more comfortable you will get and you will be able to read him,' says Rohit Sharma. More... 'Playing Murali and Mendis won't be a problem' The Rediff Cricket Interview | 09rohit.jpg Rohit Sharma July 09, 2008 In just a year of international cricket, Rohit Sharma has achieved a great deal. He was a key member of India's Twenty20 World Cup-winning team and the ODI team's unexpected triumph in the CB tri-series in Australia last year. The 21-year-old Mumbai batsman has now broken into the Indian team for the three-Test series against Sri Lanka [images]. While expressing delight on making it to the Test squad, he is careful not to let the occasion get the better of him, In an exclusive interview with Special Correspondent Harish Kotian, the right-hander looks back on his successful run in international cricket thus far. What was your reaction on being picked? I am very happy on being selected. Considering that I am just 21, it is a great feeling. Last June you made your international ODI debut, and now, a year later you are selected for the Test team. I am aware I need to continue the good work I have done in the last one year. I know Test cricket is not that easy and realise I need to work hard and stay focussed. I will just keep working on my strengths and look to improve. What have you learnt in your first year in international cricket? The first year has been very good. We won the Twenty20 World Cup and then won the CB tri-series in Australia. These two tournaments were not that easy, so winning them both was quite special and it was quite memorable. I believe I am more matured now than when I was a year back. Obviously, being with the Indian team you get to learn a lot; so I have gained a lot in this last one year and I believe I am a much-improved player now. Twenty20 is become a huge hit worldwide. How much importance does Test cricket hold for you? Do you rank it higher than the other formats of the game? All three formats are equally important for me. I would not say Test cricket or ODI cricket or Twenty20 is more important than the other. My aim is to do well in all the three formats. With so much cricket being played nowadays, how does a batsman get time to adjust to the different formats? It depends on the individual players as to how they adapt to the different formats. It is very important to adapt according to the situation of the game in each format. It all depends on how quickly you can adapt in each format. But, if you ask me, I will try and play according to the situation. I will not change my approach. You were not among the runs in Bangladesh and during the Asia Cup. Have you identified the areas you need to work on? There are quite a few areas I know I have to work on. There is no particular one area, but I believe I should be more consistent like I was in Australia during the CB tri-series and the IPL. It is important to score runs consistently and I am focussing on it. You played against Ajantha Mendis and Muttaiah Muralitharan during the Asia Cup. Both will bowl a lot during the Test series. How difficult was it playing against them? We had not played Mendis before that match (the Asia Cup final). That is why I think we failed against him. It was the same when I played Muralitharan for the first time. I just could not read him and got out early. And Mendis has that weird action... so it is not easy when you play against him for the first time. But the more you play against him, the more comfortable you will get and you will be able to read him. I do not have many problems playing against Muralitharan because I have played a lot against him. But when I faced him the first time, he got me out early and the same thing happened against Mendis too. I am sure if I keep playing Mendis more often I will be able to do well against him. Do you have any idea of the conditions you will encounter during the Test series in Sri Lanka? I have played in Sri Lanka before so I have an idea of how the conditions will be like during the Test series. We have also played their bowlers recently during the Asia Cup so we have a fair idea on their team and conditions. I am sure that playing Murali and Mendis won't be a problem. Will it be helpful having the senior players back in the squad or will it be a distraction? I think it will be really helpful to have all the seniors back. They have played a lot of cricket, have so much experience, so there is so much to learn from them. In the dressing room, they give you so many tips that really prove helpful.

Sri Lankan in contract dispute A protracted contract dispute between Sri Lanka Cricket and its players has reached boiling point just weeks before India are due to tour there. More... Sri Lankan in contract dispute July 09 2008 at 09:54AM A protracted contract dispute between Sri Lanka Cricket and its players has reached boiling point just weeks before India are due to tour there. Sri Lanka players, who returned home from Karachi on Wednesday after winning the Asia Cup, have not been paid since February and have requested an emergency board meeting this week. "We did not even see a first draft of the new contract until seven weeks after our last contract lapsed," an unnamed Sri Lanka player told Reuters. "We have waited patiently for weeks, we have even played on despite being unpaid, but we are now fed-up and need this resolved fast." Senior cricketers agreed to a freeze in their central contract fees this year, but demanded junior members of the national squad and the A team get substantial wage increases. Last year, junior players received $15 000 (around R115 000) a year as a retainer, the lowest annual contract fees of all test playing nations. The board, headed by World Cup winning captain Arjuna Ranatunga, have been accused of dragging their feet during discussions with the Sri Lanka Cricketer's Association. Ranatunga has refused any increment on match fees - also believed to be the lowest among test nations - proposing instead that players be fined if they lose a test match. Other stumbling blocks include player image rights clauses, a demand that cricketers cancel lucrative media contracts and a proposed changed in contract dates due to negotiation delays. Sri Lanka Cricket's Chief Executive Duleep Mendis insisted that there was no cause for alarm with the India test series due to start on July 23. "There are a few differences between the players and the board but we should come to an agreement by next week," Mendis told the Daily Mirror newspaper on Tuesday.

Also Ojha looked cr#p! How the hell has he been selected over Mishra. Does Ojha even turn it? No
Perhaps he didn't look crap to the selectors who picked him. He has taken many Ranji Trophy wickets at a good rate and performed for India A, it is his time to be selected.
No reason? This guy has been doing well for India in the past year. He has a solid technique. What has Badri done' date=' really. Even Parthiv has been plundering bowlers in Ranji trophy! I think he even averages more than Badri in the last season![/quote'] Badrinath hit many many runs for India A against Kenya, Zimbabwe and South Africa A, three teams who are stronger than Ranji Trophy teams. Although his performance in the Ranji Trophy was not great, he has a whole career of FC performances whereas Parthiv just has one season.

Zaheer Is Raring To Go India fast bowler Zaheer Khan is relishing the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka after being hampered by injuries over the last few months. More... Zaheer Is Raring To Go July 10 2008 Zaheer_Khan_MCG_615512.jpgZaheer - ready for action. India fast bowler Zaheer Khan is relishing the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka after being hampered by injuries over the last few months. The paceman suffered a heel injury earlier in the year which kept him out of a number of Indian Premier League matches, the tri-nation series in Bangladesh and the recently concluded Asia Cup. However, he is now fully recovered and set to spearhead India's attack during a busy schedule over the coming months. The Sri Lanka series is followed by a five-match one-day series and the Champions Trophy. India then host Australia for a four-match Test series, followed by a three-Test and seven-ODI series against England in November and a tour of Pakistan in December. "I'm fully fit now and am looking forward to the series in Sri Lanka," Zaheer told CNN-IBN. "I've always said that I enjoy playing a lot of matches. There is nothing like playing as many matches as you can. "That is the best form of practice you can get. It helps you find rhythm. The more the better." India's one-day team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has withdrawn from the forthcoming Tests citing fatigue, but Zaheer believes every player is different when it comes to hectic fixture lists. "It's up to each individual and his opinion," he added. "I've always felt that I'm in better shape when I bowl a lot of overs. "Maybe my body is structured that way. I prefer it that way."

Indian team to have net practice at Chennai Anil Kumble-led Indian cricket team will have a day's physical conditioning and net practice on Monday here before embarking on their tour to Sri Lanka on July 15. More... Indian team to have net practice at Chennai Chennai (PTI): Anil Kumble-led Indian cricket team will have a day's physical conditioning and net practice on Monday here before embarking on their tour to Sri Lanka on July 15. Dr R N Baba, Media Manager of the Indian cricket administration, told PTI that Kumble and Coach Gary Kirsten would address the media on July 14 after their practice sessions. India is scheduled to play a three-Test series from July 23 to August 12 and then start their five-match one day series from August 18 to 29. Since 1982 India and Sri Lanka have played in 26 Test matches with India having won 10 matches, including two at Colombo and Kandy while the Lankan's victories have come about at home in Colombo (twice) and Galle. Three matches have been drawn. The Lankans in their last three-test series in India lost zero-two. After drawing the Chennai test, India won the next two at Delhi and Ahmedabad. The team: Anil Kumble (capt.), Virender Sehwag (vice capt), Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, V V S Laxman, Gautam Gambhir, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, Zaheer Khan, R P Singh, Munaf Patel, Rohit Sharma, Dinesh Kaarthick (wk), Pragyan Ojha and Parthiv Patel (wk). Zaheer Khan and Parthiv Patel practise for over an hour Zaheer Khan and Parthiv Patel, members of the Indian Test squad that will tour Sri Lanka later this month, practised for over an hour at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium on Saturday. Having arrived early, Zaheer and Parthiv chose to have a net. Zaheer, who hasn’t figured in international cricket after a heel injury truncated his tour of Australia in January, eased into the session. After limbering up, the left-armer marked his run-up with a tape measure. His first few deliveries to Parthiv were looseners, but he soon found his rhythm and troubled the little left-handed batsman. Parthiv, who last played for India in 2004, batted for 40 minutes against Zaheer and a collection of local bowlers. He was severe on the spinners, sweeping and lofting them straight. The pair broke for water before having a short session to round the day off.

Indian Test team in Chennai CHENNAI: The Indian Test team assembled in the city on Sunday night for a day?s training ahead of the cricket tour of Sri Lanka, which gets underway later this month. The 16-man squad, led by Anil Kumble, will practise at the M.A. ... More... Indian Test team in Chennai Special Correspondent 2008071456681901.jpgTETE-A-TETE: Rahul Dravid and Zaheer Khan take time off after a practice session at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium on Sunday. CHENNAI: The Indian Test team assembled in the city on Sunday night for a day’s training ahead of the cricket tour of Sri Lanka, which gets underway later this month. The 16-man squad, led by Anil Kumble, will practise at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium on Monday morning before flying out to Colombo on Tuesday. Monday’s session will include centre-wicket practice – curator K. Parthasarathy has readied two strips for this purpose. Rahul Dravid, who arrived on Sunday morning, had a net in the afternoon at Chepauk. He batted against Zaheer Khan and a group of local bowlers. Dravid looked in good touch, and later appeared to demonstrate to Zaheer the grip and release of a delivery Sri Lankan mystery spinner Ajantha Mendis bowls. Dravid and Zaheer were part of the week-long skills and conditioning camp organised in Bangalore for cricketers not playing the Asia Cup. Parthiv Patel, who had practised with Zaheer here on Saturday, had a session with the big gloves. The left-hander also batted. India opens its tour of Sri Lanka with a three-day warm-up match staring on July 18. The first of three Tests begins on July 23. India will also play a five-match one-day series.

Team focussed on winning series - Kumble Anil Kumble, India's Test captain, has brushed off suggestions that the team may be distracted by the approaching milestone for Sachin Tendulkar, who needs 172 runs to surpass Brian Lara as the leading run-scorer in Tests. More... India in Sri Lanka 2008 Team focussed on winning series - Kumble Cricinfo staff July 14, 2008 326474.jpgAnil Kumble still isn't certain how the umpire-referral system will work © Getty Images Anil Kumble, India's Test captain, has brushed off suggestions that the team may be distracted by the approaching milestone for Sachin Tendulkar, who needs 172 runs to surpass Brian Lara as the leading run-scorer in Tests. Kumble insisted the team's focus was on a series win. "We always feel proud that one of our team-mates is going to cross a landmark," Kumble said. "Every time when there is an achievement, it's not for the individual only but also for the team. "But, the most important factor is that we go there and ensure a series victory. That will be on top of everybody's mind," Kumble said. "I am sure that at some point of time, Sachin will cross the mark. It will be a huge achievement not just for him but also for Indian cricket. Sachin is confident. He has come back fully fit from groin injury. He is really fresh in mind and really confident." Although India lost to Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup final recently, Kumble was confident of the Test team's prospects. "As a Test team we have really performed well, in that sense, we are pretty confident," he said. "In Test cricket, we have done exceptionally well in the last year or so. We have been consistent. I am sure we will be able to put up a good show and ensure a series win." The umpire review system, where players can challenge the decision of the on-field umpires, will be tested for the first time during the series. "We are going to have a chat about it once we reach Sri Lanka with the officials," Kumble said. "We will see how it goes. "From whatever I gather, it is the captain who takes the call," he said. "It all depends on what kind of a situation you are in. If it is a lbw decision, then what is important is what the wicketkeeper or the bowler feels because the captain might not be in a position to say whether it was close or worth having a go. "It all depends on what happens on the field. It is difficult to say right now whether I am going to take the call or say that we will appoint one player to take the call on an issue." Happy with the practice for the series, Kumble said, "We just followed our plans to spend a day in Chennai before we leave for Sri Lanka. Players have all had a camp in Bangalore for about a week. We have had eight days of training before going in to the Test match. By the time the Test match starts, I am sure the team will be well prepared." India kick off the series with a three-day warm-up match against a Sri Lanka Board XI, which starts on Friday.

Indian Team arrives in Colombo Indian cricket team, led by Anil Kumble, arrived in Colombo to play a three match-Test series against Sri Lanka starting July 23. More... Indian Team arrives in Colombo Press Trust Of India Colombo, July 15, 2008 First Published: 17:16 IST(15/7/2008) Last Updated: 17:26 IST(15/7/2008) Indian cricket team, led by Anil Kumble, arrived in Colombo on Tuesday to play a three match-Test series against Sri Lanka starting July 23. The Indians will start their campaign with a three-day practice match against Sri Lanka Board XI from Friday. They play their first Test in Colombo from July 23. The Test series would be followed by a five-match ODI series. One-day and Twenty20 team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has opted out of this series, citing fatigue caused by non-stop cricket

Sri Lanka relish India clash Mahela Jayawardene said on Wednesday his team was keen to renew the rivalry with India in a three-Test series starting next week. More... Sri Lanka relish India clash July 16 2008 at 10:16AM Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said on Wednesday his team was keen to renew the rivalry with India in a three-Test series starting next week. "Personally, I have a couple of milestones against India. I made my Test debut against them and also scored my first Test double-century against them. It's a pretty good team for me to play against," said Jayawardene. "We thoroughly enjoy playing India at home or away. It's always been a tough challenge. There is good rivalry with our neighbours." Jayawardene, who made his Test debut in 1997 against India, hit 242 against them during the Asian Test championship match in 1999. The Sri Lankan captain, with 7,478 runs in 95 Tests, said the series would be closely contested as both the teams had quality players. "Every time we have played them, there has been good cricket as both the teams have some quality players. I am sure the public will have a great series to watch," he said. Sri Lanka last hosted India for a Test series in 2001, winning 2-1 after a close contest. The tourists were without key spinner Anil Kumble and batsman Sachin Tendulkar, who were injured. Tendulkar is now just 172 short of breaking retired West Indies captain Brian Lara's world record of 11,953 Test runs. "We are going to treat Sachin in the same manner as anybody else in the Indian camp. It will be a great milestone if he achieves it, but our focus will be on winning the series," said Jayawardene. India captain Kumble was confident of his team's good show in Sri Lanka, saying they would like to maintain the consistency. "We have done well in the lead-up to the Test series. In the last one year or so we have been consistent with our performances. That's something we will take forward," said Kumble. India's bowling attack will be at full strength with the return of left-arm seamer Zaheer Khan, who has not figured in a Test this year due to injuries. "We have Zaheer back with his experience of bowling in sub-continental conditions. Ishant Sharma has really progressed well as a seamer, and Harbhajan Singh is back as well," said Kumble. "The last time we played Sri Lanka in India (in 2005) we beat them, so we are confident." The skipper said his team had quality batsmen to succeed against Sri Lanka's latest spin sensation Ajantha Mendis, who could make his Test debut against the tourists. Mendis outwitted Indian batsmen with clever variations in the recent Asia Cup final in Karachi, where he bagged six wickets for 13 runs to lead his team to victory. "Our middle order has more than 30,000 Test runs and four of them have played more than 100 Tests," said Kumble. "It will be challenging and I am sure our batsmen will definitely cope with that. It is something we need to be on the lookout for." India open their tour with a three-day practice match in Colombo on Friday. They will also play five one-day internationals after the Test series.