Does Rohit have what it takes to open overseas against quality pace attacks?

Rohit opening in ODIs overseas?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Rohit opening in ODIs overseas?

• Rohit is a very competent opener (in the context mentioned)
    • He's not ideal, but we don't have suitable alternatives
    • He's not good enough, find a new opener

1 minute ago, mancalledsting said:

duck as an opener definitely transmits pressure onto the rest of the batting lineup. Basic cricket psychology. Job of opener being most difficult in cricket...you're talking about the olden days. Now it is one of the best times to bat due to power play restrictions. If Rohit had any special technical ability that allowed him to be a good opener, he would at least be able to bat at no.5 in tests in South Africa. Agree, he's third best batsmen in our lineup, but with middle order of Pandey/Dhoni that's not really saying much. 

3rd best? Who is 2nd?

2 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Kohli

Dhawan 

Rohit 

Pandya (give hime time, he'll soon be better than Rohit)

Dhawan better than Rohit lol....he is a bigger sitting duck against raw pace...yes both are FTBs to some extent but Rohit against pace is leagues and I mean leagues ahead...Dhawan won’t last too long against likes of Starc,Hazelwood even on surfaces with true bounce,it has to be an absolute 400 run pitch for him to score against those kind of bowling line ups.

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Dhawan better than Rohit lol....he is a bigger sitting duck against raw pace...yes both are FTBs to some extent but Rohit against pace is leagues and I mean leagues ahead...Dhawan won’t last too long against likes of Starc,Hazelwood even on surfaces with true bounce,it has to be an absolute 400 run pitch for him to score against those kind of bowling line ups.

we are talking about ODIs here, more importantly we are talking about ODIs overseas vs good seam attacks in big ICC tournaments, Rohit no where close to Dhawan in this regard. After all, WC2019 is where its at, not cycle pure agarbathis series vs Sri Lanka. 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8037/scorecard/578614/india-vs-south-africa-1st-match,-group-b-icc-champions-trophy-2013/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8037/scorecard/566948/england-vs-india-final-icc-champions-trophy-2013/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8037/scorecard/578623/india-vs-pakistan-10th-match,-group-b-icc-champions-trophy-2013/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/656423/india-vs-south-africa-13th-match,-pool-b-world-cup-2014-15/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/656405/india-vs-pakistan-4th-match,-pool-b-world-cup-2014-15/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/656493/australia-vs-india-2nd-semi-final-world-cup-2014-15/

all the above games were against the same quality bowling attacks which aids direct comparison between Dhawan and Rohit. Dhawan a gun in ODIs. Don't confuse Dhawan's poor show in test with him not being able to bat in ODIs. Openers in tests is still to this day much more difficult to bat at then middle order where Rohit had a run in test side.  

12 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

WTF?....kya analogy, Sachin was player of the series in 2003 World Cup in South Africa. Sehwag played an amazing knock in the final that same tourney against joint greatest ODI  attack of all time. 

Exactly and Rohit too upped his game when it mattered, he won us 2 knockout games in WC2015 and CT 2017...now before we go in circles that it was only Bangladesh etc...WC qf 2015 would have been more humiliating part of history than the CT final had it not been for that knock.

You missed the 100 in the series before the world cup against a rampaging Starc where every batsman was blown away and is rated by many as one of the finest odi 100s.

You missed his knocks in the South African tour against a tremendous pace attack in the series we ended up losing.

I agree with you that Dhawan is the top 3 for us in Odis but my ranking is different,he is no.3

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, Dada's Army said:

That’s nice. I want Kohli to bat like Bradman. But he’s useless in this regard.

Do you think Sharma should be replaced?

So from 2 times World Cup winners, one times runners up and 3 times semi finalists with population of 1 billions plus and richest cricket board in the world, its too much to expect a World Cup match winning batsmen? you guys need to learn to weight your analogies more appropriately. I think Rohit should be replaced on the basis he will do F*** all in next year's World Cup. He's already contributed to cocking up of test series in South Africa...let's leave the damage at that. 

Just now, mancalledsting said:

So from 2 times World Cup winners, one times runners up and 3 times semi finalists with population of 1 billions plus and richest cricket board in the world, its too much to expect a World Cup match winning batsmen? you guys need to learn to weight your analogies more appropriately. I think Rohit should be replaced on the basis he will do F*** all in next year's World Cup. He's already contributed to cocking up of test series in South Africa...let's leave the damage at that. 

Why do you keep bringing up his test failures...even his biggest haters think he is one of the best odi mvps we have and his biggest backers think that door on his test career is closing,so what are you saying here?

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

@mancalledsting the very logic you hate which is used  by  Dhoni fans  to big him up for that one innings in the final.

Dhawan is a valuable odi player but Rohit is leagues ahead of him and obviously Kohli is on a different level altogether.

I didn't cite a solitary game in defence of Dhawan, rather there were multiple instances. MSD on the other hand did nothing significant in WC 2011 except performance in the final. So its not the same logic. And how the hell is Rohit leagues ahead of Dhawan, when considering Dhawan's performance in ODI tournaments? you need to get Rohit's cycle pure agarbathies knock out of your head. 

Edited by mancalledsting
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why do you keep bringing up his test failures...even his biggest haters think he is one of the best odi mvps we have and his biggest backers think that door on his test career is closing,so what are you saying here?

I'm saying get rid of this overhyped piece of crap. His hype is what screwed up the test series, and his hype will carry him through to WC2019 where he'll cock it up for India. His test failures are relevant, its further proof of his ineptitude against quality pace bowling. 

Edited by mancalledsting
Just now, mancalledsting said:

I'm saying get rid of this overhyped piece of crap. His hype is what screwed up the test series, and his hype will carry him through to WC2019 where he'll cock it up for India. 

Lol so You want to remove the one of the only 2 guys who can play genuine pace and is the 2nd best player in the side out of wc2019 and go with Kohli+Dhawan+ U19 youngsters+ 5 or 6 other passengers we have currently in the side? Good luck with that

or are you suggesting to get rid of 90% of the team and replace them with the u-19 team?

sorry i am still not getting your argument...doesn’t make sense