A question to Aussie fans......

A question to Aussie fans......  

1. 1.

• Australia would have won
    • India would have won
    • Match would have been a draw

There is an article : http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=86938 which details and explains all umpiring blunders during the Sydney test. Read and imbibe and after that can you give an honest cricketing opinion as to whether Australia would have won/drawn/lost at Sydney if in some hypothetical world all those decisions were made correctly. The thread is mainly aimed at our fellow Aussie posters but we don't want to be branded as racists so everyone is welcome to chip in and vote.:D

If Ponting would've given out on 14, Australia would have been 6 down much much before 134 and then within 30 runs would have been 7 down with Symonds gone too. So I think they'd have been all out before 200. Still we don't know how India would have batted. Yet I think they would have been dictating the test match. Still India's victory is a strong possibility, but a draw would have been a fair result.

i honestly cant tell you how the test would have ended up or the series. you definitely would have been in control, but how we bowled and india batted is anyones guess. we may have been eager to get back into it. india may have backed off a bit.. who knows ? but its all irrelevant now isnt it ;)

shwetabh, I would rather stay away from ifs and buts. The fact is that one of those matches was played unfairly and one team played against the spirit of the game stays. Indian fans would argue one way and Australian fans another way. 10/12 wrong decisions do not produce a cricket game....its a mockery of the game leading to a wreckage and not a result. But then, in the records, India lost it. What I love however is the stance India took and the way the made sure that the rest of the matches were played in the right spirit and had fairer umpiring (some mistakes would always happen). That, I think was the turning point- not only of the series but also in Australia's dream run. That blow in Perth has stopped the invincible Australians and has turned them into mortals. Only India could have delivered that blow.

shwetabh, I would rather stay away from ifs and buts. The fact is that one of those matches was played unfairly and one team played against the spirit of the game stays. Indian fans would argue one way and Australian fans another way. 10/12 wrong decisions do not produce a cricket game....its a mockery of the game leading to a wreckage and not a result. But then, in the records, India lost it. What I love however is the stance India took and the way the made sure that the rest of the matches were played in the right spirit and had fairer umpiring (some mistakes would always happen). That, I think was the turning point- not only of the series but also in Australia's dream run. That blow in Perth has stopped the invincible Australians and has turned them into mortals. Only India could have delivered that blow.
Agree with your views...:two_thumbs_up:
but its all irrelevant now isnt it ;)
I wanted to come to this point a bit later but domaink already spilled my beans that its not irrelevant. From now on, India will escape the thuggery of umpires which happened in Sydney '04, Bangalore '04 and reached it's crescendo in Sydney '08. Without umpires being swayed by the hype of the Aussie team and their pressure tactics Australia could not beat Indian in either of the two tests to follow losing one, at a venue tailor made for their quicks. I am willing to wager a hypothetical anything India would have lost at Perth if Bucknor was umpiring. I think a change has been made.

a change definitely has been made. the umps were terrified of giving batsmen out after sydney. pretty tough to get an lbw in the last couple of tests for both sides. india would have lost in perth if bucknor was umpiring ? :hysterical: shwetabh, you seem like a decent guy, and you obviously love your cricket, but let it go, all the hate.. its completely clouding your judgement and ability to have a balanced discussion.

india would have lost in perth if bucknor was umpiring ? :hysterical: shwetabh, you seem like a decent guy, and you obviously love your cricket, but let it go, all the hate.. its completely clouding your judgement and ability to have a balanced discussion.
You are right about me, I am a pretty decent guy and I don't hate anyone in particular, but given the precedent of Bucknor in an India match makes me go crazy. You would have obviously not followed India matches as closely but I am confident Bucknor would have made sure India lose at Perth, since a draw was out of the question on the track.
I cant think how a sane person can call that a fair game.
Well, we had one resident aussie on board.. here's what he said after being redirected to the same link that you saw.
They are 'howlers' only in your opinion. The only howler I spotted - yes, I've now seen them all since the Test - was Ponting's big edge on to pad given out. Easy to see how the Symonds and Ponting feathers were not given.
Link to post http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=308003&postcount=41
You are right about me' date=' I am a pretty decent guy and I don't hate anyone in particular, but given the precedent of Bucknor in an India match makes me go crazy. You would have obviously not followed India matches as closely but I am confident Bucknor would have made sure India lose at Perth, since a draw was out of the question on the track.[/quote'] can i ask .. why are you going over hypothetical questions like this, that will serve no purpose, isnt going to change a result when a one day tournament is about to start ? seriously mate, drop it and move on. you got what you wanted, bucknor will probably never umpire again.. just look forward to an interesting one day series..
can i ask .. why are you going over hypothetical questions like this, that will serve no purpose, isnt going to change a result when a one day tournament is about to start ? seriously mate, drop it and move on. you got what you wanted, bucknor will probably never umpire again.. just look forward to an interesting one day series..
Don't really care about the ODIs, never been on my priority list. But this was a series I was waiting for a long time and to have it decided by umpires is bad enough but people saying that we deserved to lose despite being robbed is worse.
Guest HariSampath

^...If Aus had been allout for < 200 that would have had them in a very precarious state to save the test. And they were well on the course to a sub 200 total when Symmonds was given 3 inngs to play, so fair to assume the test would have gone India's way, and the series result would have read a lot different

What really gets my nerve going is that people are blaming Australia Cricket' date=' NOT, the umpires.[/quote'] Which people?? Everyone here is blaming the umpires for the Sydney farce. But the coincidence is that in their desperation to win, Australian players even went on claiming grassed catches despite a prior agreement between the captains that the fielders would be honest enough to claim the catches and their word would be taken. That left a very very bad taste in mouth apart from the over appealing in the closing stages. These were two areas where India learnt that there was no point being gentlemanly with this Australian team. Where are the people blaming Australian cricket and for what else? Can you enlighten us?