Dhoni urges team to stay in line

guju24

MELBOURNE, January 30: It's been a tour of nerves and a few moments of truth for Mahendra Singh Dhoni so far. He has improved his work behind the stumps but the Twenty20 and One-day captain has not been so successful with the bat. Arriving with his young and dynamic world champion T20 team in Melbourne, the 26-year-old Ranchi man wasted no time in spelling out his plans for the Twenty20 game against Australia on Friday, and the triangular series (also involving Sri Lanka) thereafter. In an exclusive interview to TOI , Dhoni delivered a veiled warning to the Aussies. "They have played with my patience," he said while explaining his uncharacteristically defensive play during the four-Test series. He also stressed that things may soon change as he would be back to his natural self as a batsman. Excerpts from the interview: Now that the Tests are over, is it time for the team to return to its attacking best in T20 and ODIs? As we all know, One-dayers are a different ball game. The conditions will be very different and our team is also very different. We have a new set of bowlers who haven't yet got a feel of the conditions here. Even RP (Singh) is going back. It would be important to see how the youngsters react to this challenge. For me, it's about setting new bench marks, about showing the same aggression. We will try and follow what we did during the series against Australia back home and also in the T20 World Cup. Is Yuvraj's fitness a major worry? He is trying to recover and we all and the support staff are helping him get there as soon as possible. Hopefully he should be fine for the second One-day match. You also have Tendulkar this time, making his T20 debut under you? That would be interesting but let's see how it goes. We are playing on the day after and we have two practice sessions before that. It is also important that the new players get into the groove for the series ahead. Sree Santh has returned and so have the youngsters. Given the fresh legs don't you think India have an edge? Overall, if you see we have youngsters and definitely you expect a lot from them. At times they can come up with things that can surprise you and we are banking on that. And we also have a fair bit of experience, so we are not a totally inexperienced side. We are looking at (playing) some good cricket in the next one month. There's Ishant Sharma too... Surely. But we have to be careful with our fast bowlers. Eight months back we thought we had ample fast bowlers but just six months down the line we were struggling on that count. We need to look at the number of matches each pacer plays. It's important we keep rotating them given the number of Tests we are playing. Given the Harbhajan Singh controversy, you think the Aussies will come hard at him? The Aussies always play their game the hard way but I don't think they will be coming hard at Bhajji. Also the episode is well and truly over now and I'm glad about it. To me the issue from the start was more an off-the-field thing and it needed to be sorted out. You think Robin Uthappa would still be able to walk and whack the Aussie bowlers? It's tough to walk and hit here but if he thinks he can still continue doing it then good. It's his strength and we will not stop him from doing that. India has defeated Australia twice in Twenty20, first in the World Cup and later in Mumbai. Don't you think a win at the MCG would be the perfect start for the series? I hope that happens. Then again it's all about how you play and how you give a start to the series. We would surely want to do that but it doesn't mean that it will be a cakewalk. Let's see how things go. I am not a person who predicts too much. I just go by the day's play. We shall see. You have been tied down in the Tests, the world is now waiting to see Dhoni break the shackles... The Australians have played with my patience. Their line of bowling also ensured that I couldn't go for the big shots but then Test cricket is different and so are One-day Internationals. Hopefully people will get to see me break the shackles. TOI

"The Australians have played with my patience. Their line of bowling also ensured that I couldn't go for the big shots but then Test cricket is different" WTF he means by that , he thinks they would bowl him dollies to him so he can whack like bull , his job as batsman was to score runs which he failed miserably and he comes with this ridiculous statement as explanation for his failure.

"The Australians have played with my patience. Their line of bowling also ensured that I couldn't go for the big shots but then Test cricket is different" WTF he means by that , he thinks they would bowl him dollies to him so he can whack like bull , his job as batsman was to score runs which he failed miserably and he comes with this ridiculous statement as explanation for his failure.
Eggjacktly.
MELBOURNE, January 30: It's been a tour of nerves and a few moments of truth for Mahendra Singh Dhoni so far. He has improved his work behind the stumps but the Twenty20 and One-day captain has not been so successful with the bat. Arriving with his young and dynamic world champion T20 team in Melbourne, the 26-year-old Ranchi man wasted no time in spelling out his plans for the Twenty20 game against Australia on Friday, and the triangular series (also involving Sri Lanka) thereafter. In an exclusive interview to TOI , Dhoni delivered a veiled warning to the Aussies. "They have played with my patience," he said while explaining his uncharacteristically defensive play during the four-Test series. He also stressed that things may soon change as he would be back to his natural self as a batsman. Excerpts from the interview: Now that the Tests are over, is it time for the team to return to its attacking best in T20 and ODIs? As we all know, One-dayers are a different ball game. The conditions will be very different and our team is also very different. We have a new set of bowlers who haven't yet got a feel of the conditions here. Even RP (Singh) is going back. It would be important to see how the youngsters react to this challenge. For me, it's about setting new bench marks, about showing the same aggression. We will try and follow what we did during the series against Australia back home and also in the T20 World Cup. Is Yuvraj's fitness a major worry? He is trying to recover and we all and the support staff are helping him get there as soon as possible. Hopefully he should be fine for the second One-day match. You also have Tendulkar this time, making his T20 debut under you? That would be interesting but let's see how it goes. We are playing on the day after and we have two practice sessions before that. It is also important that the new players get into the groove for the series ahead. Sree Santh has returned and so have the youngsters. Given the fresh legs don't you think India have an edge? Overall, if you see we have youngsters and definitely you expect a lot from them. At times they can come up with things that can surprise you and we are banking on that. And we also have a fair bit of experience, so we are not a totally inexperienced side. We are looking at (playing) some good cricket in the next one month. There's Ishant Sharma too... Surely. But we have to be careful with our fast bowlers. Eight months back we thought we had ample fast bowlers but just six months down the line we were struggling on that count. We need to look at the number of matches each pacer plays. It's important we keep rotating them given the number of Tests we are playing. Given the Harbhajan Singh controversy, you think the Aussies will come hard at him? The Aussies always play their game the hard way but I don't think they will be coming hard at Bhajji. Also the episode is well and truly over now and I'm glad about it. To me the issue from the start was more an off-the-field thing and it needed to be sorted out. You think Robin Uthappa would still be able to walk and whack the Aussie bowlers? It's tough to walk and hit here but if he thinks he can still continue doing it then good. It's his strength and we will not stop him from doing that. India has defeated Australia twice in Twenty20, first in the World Cup and later in Mumbai. Don't you think a win at the MCG would be the perfect start for the series? I hope that happens. Then again it's all about how you play and how you give a start to the series. We would surely want to do that but it doesn't mean that it will be a cakewalk. Let's see how things go. I am not a person who predicts too much. I just go by the day's play. We shall see. You have been tied down in the Tests, the world is now waiting to see Dhoni break the shackles... The Australians have played with my patience. Their line of bowling also ensured that I couldn't go for the big shots but then Test cricket is different and so are One-day Internationals. Hopefully people will get to see me break the shackles. TOI
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indvaus/engine/match/255954.html
Dhoni delivered a veiled warning to the Aussies. "They have played with my patience," he said while explaining his uncharacteristically defensive play during the four-Test series.
STFU Dhoni!!! You failed as a batsmen in this test series, period. Accept that fact and try to improve. Let your bat do the talking and keep your loud mouth shut until then.

Dhoni urges team to stay in line Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India's captain in the limited-over formats, has urged his team-mates to respect the international guidelines for on-field behaviour in the wake of the Harbhajan Singh-Andrew Symonds controversy. He said there would be some allowance for "chit-chat" between players as long as there was nothing untoward being uttered. "Whoever the players are, they know the international guidelines that are set out to be followed," he said, when asked about the importance of player behaviour in the forthcoming limited-over games. "Each and every player should respect it. It is the responsibility of an individual more than their skipper to know the limitations and to know where they stand." It was reported that the Australian players were unhappy over Harbhajan's reprieve, given that he had been handed a three-match ban in the first hearing. Dhoni would also remember the World Twenty20 match in Durban last year, a match that marked the start of the fractious relationship between the two sides. "We don't really care about whatever has happened so far," he said a day before the Twenty20 international in Melbourne. "It's a fresh start and we're going to play some good cricket. There's always chit-chat going on between the players. If nothing controversial is said, I think both the teams will be happy with it. We can't just shut up and play. It's cricket and you've got to do lots of things with the bat and the ball and there should be chit-chat out on the ground." Dhoni preferred that contentious catches be referred to the third umpire, a procedure which was used in the final two Tests of the series. Before the first Test in Melbourne, Anil Kumble and Ricky Ponting had agreed to take the fielders word but reviewed the pact after the controversial Sydney Test. "I believe in referring it to the third umpire," Dhoni said. "A fielder can mislead so it's important that it's referred to the third umpire." Was he expecting a hostile reception from a crowd that's expected to be close to 90,000? "If they are not on the field it does not really matter," he said. "We don't care whether we receive a hostile reception or not. In Eden Gardens there are 100,000 spectators, in Kochi there are 80,000 spectators. Still, this is a huge ground and playing in front of such numbers would be exciting." http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/334299.html

He failed in tests--fact! But the Australians won't be able to bowl with the same strategy with which they bowled in tests, that is bowling wide of off stump and tempt Dhoni to chase the deliveries if he wanted to whack them. If they bowl similarly, they'll be given wides in ODIs. So obviously they'll come up with some other strategy and Dhoni will have to be ready for that. I don't think what he said was a ridiculous statement.