Reactions after Hansen's verdict on Harbhajan case [Merged]

There is such jelousy from the aussies. They need to get used to the fact that we are an economic powerhouse. The world has changed. We are confident and are learning how to use our power like the west has for last 100 years +. Its our turn now. This can be seen by symonds and his jelousy of how we celebrated our world cup win and all the mega money our boys made. Real jelousy. I have a message for symonds STFU and dont tell us how to celebrate and what to do. We are the powers now and we will dictate how things are done! Just get your begging bowl out symonds and hope you get an IPL contarct and have the privilige of playing in our domestic leagues!

Australian perspectives Here are the Governor General and Invincible Nelil Harvey's views: http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/articles/1172757.html?src=topstories Neil Harvey:

"I can't see any reason why they should carry on like a pack of morons every so often," Harvey said. "Australia's been getting away with this for too long and I admire India for the way they stood up and gave a bit back to them and we all saw where it got. "I think [Ponting's] been a little bit weak about the way he's handled things. You need someone to set an example and in my mind I don't think he's the right bloke to do it."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/whither-the-game-of-gentlemen/2008/01/30/1201369227880.html http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/its-how-you-play-that-makes-you-a-legend/2008/01/30/1201369226120.html Other test players: http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/test-greats-hit-back/2008/01/30/1201369234445.html
However, former Test batsman Mark Waugh criticised him - labelling his comments on walking "unintelligent" - and defended the team's style of play. "If you look at it, nobody in the world except Adam Gilchrist walks when they're out, so it's an unintelligent comment, I think," Waugh said. "And in terms of sledging, certainly a couple of Australian players can take it over the top on some occasions - but overall, they aren't too bad when you look at the fines and penalties for each country. "You can't have it both ways, wanting Australia to play hard but fair cricket and at the same time be soft out on the field." Another former Test player, Mike Whitney, said Major-General Jeffery might have confused the Australian team with England's. "Being the Queen's representative, [he] is maybe thinking about England," Whitney said. "I can't believe it, and the fact [the BCCI reportedly] wants Andrew Symonds cited … what a load of crap. "We have always loved sub-continent cricket. But what has happened over the past few weeks has left a sour taste in a lot of mouths." But not all former Test players were as complimentary of the current crop. Fast-bowling great Jeff Thomson said a lack of communication between rival players had much to do with the recent conflict, but also reminded the players they were representatives of a wider public. "I think when you win, you should be a bit gracious, not look like smart-arses - and I think that's what [Jeffery] is trying to say," Thomson said. "[The Australian team] have got to remember they are entertainers, and remember where the dough comes from - the public. They should consider themselves lucky."
Ponting's views: http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/critics-living-in-50s/2008/01/31/1201714102866.html
Critics live in the 1950s: Ponting Australian cricket captain Ricky Ponting has appealed to people not to judge modern cricketers by the standards of the 1950s. Governor-General Michael Jeffery, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and former "Invincible" Neil Harvey have all called for more civility on the cricket field in the wake of this summer's acrimonious Test series against India. Jeffery called for a return to "fundamental courtesies and good manners". "I think one thing that a lot of people overlook is that we are not playing cricket in the 1950s and a lot of people I think are still living in the 1950s," Ponting said. "It's now a fully professional game. It's not a game of just going out there and having a bit of a bat and a bowl and having a laugh and giggle with the opposition," he told Fairfax Radio Network. "This is fully fledged international sport played by fully professional athletes and we are trying to do the best by the game and by the Australian public and the on-field umpires and everyone involved in the game. "Sometimes tempers can get a little bit out of line but the challenge for us now, as I've said to the guys over the last few weeks, is just to take a little step back and have a little think about your actions before you actually act." Ponting said his team was always prepared to take criticism on board, but denied that his team lacked sportsmanship. "We are not too good, not too big for criticism," he said. "We'll sit back and listen to it and a lot of the times actually cop it and go away and try and make ourselves better next time these sort of things happen. "As far as sportsmanship on the field is concerned I think that is a little bit off the mark." Ponting said the ICC's code of conduct prevented him from commenting on the dropping of racial abuse charges against Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh earlier this week. But he took a swipe at Harvey, one of five surviving members Don Bradman's 1948 Invincibles team, and a regular critic of current players. "For some reason, I'm not sure what it is, Neil Harvey seems to be the hardest man in the world to please where modern cricket is concerned," Ponting said. "He's also the first one that any journalist around Australia would ring because they know he is going to give a negative reaction to this team. "And to tell the truth there is no one in our current team, and I don't think there's too many around Australia that actually sit back and listen to what Neil Harvey has got to say."
The trigger for that abuse? A friendly pat on the back[side]. When Manohar asked him if he objected to the pat on the back, Symonds replied: "Did I have an objection to it – my objection was that a Test match is no place to be friendly with an opposition player, is my objection.†The last word should go to Hansen, who refers to the Symonds remark: "If that is his view I hope it is not one shared by all international cricketers. It would be a sad day for cricket if it is." Amen.
Nonsesne... now this bloke needs to be shown the videos of B. Lee, tapping the Indians for their performances. How about putting your own house in order, symmo?
Michael Clarke has been receiving a lot of bad press off late' date=' something he wouldnt have ideally wanted now, given how is potentially touted to replace Ponting.[/quote']May be that's why he wanted it, good for his resume given the characters of OZ cricketers.
Michael Clarke has been receiving a lot of bad press off late' date=' something he wouldnt have ideally wanted now, given how is potentially touted to replace Ponting.[/quote'] If you don't want bad press, don't lie in an appeals court where a lot of media are watching you, and don't claim bump catches.

I wont call Clarke a cheat for claiming bump-ball catches. Then 1 in 3 of international cricketers should bandied as a cheat. BUT, the way he stood around, after edging Kumble to Dravid at slip was just shocking. I cant believe an international player into his 4th season could do that. What was he thinking ?

Bump ball catches - one in a while can be counted as an honest mistake. Two in just over a month means he's either a cheat or has very poor judgement. What about a couple of occasions where he's notably been out LBW and raised his bat to the umpire to indicate a nick (that never occured) to deceive him? It worked in Bangalore or in Nagpur 2004 - one of those - check which w/ Boss. And is there an excuse for lying blatantly in a court?

Ponting disappointed with Justice Hansen http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23141462-2882,00.html

Justice Hansen criticised Symonds for his role in the incident for having words with Harbhajan after the Indian patted the backside of Brett Lee and congratulated him for bowling a good delivery. Ponting said several Australian players were disappointed with Justice Hansen's verdict, and that the saga had taken a huge toll on both he and Symonds. He was not impressed with Justice Hansen's apportioning the blame on to Symonds. "Any sort of character assassination on Andrew Symonds would be completely unfair," Ponting said. "He's someone who doesn't want this stuff happening, it's the second time with what he had to go through in India (last year) as well.
If Ponting had his way, he would have said "If you doubt the integrity of Aussies, you should not be a judge???"

Hansen rubbishes speculation of deal Hansen rubbishes speculation of deal ADELAIDE, JAN 30 (PTI) Justice John Hansen, the ICC appointed Appeals Commissioner, today rubbished media speculation that some "sort of deal" was involved in his clearing Harbhajan Singh of the charge of racially abusing Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds. In a detailed order about the hearing he has conducted here yesterday, Hansen said that no one had attempted to apply "direct pressure" on him to obtain the outcome although he was aware of the media furore surrounding the issue. "That was my decision and my decision alone," he said, adding "It is incorrect to suggest that there was some sort of agreement reached between Australian and Indian cricket authorities that I simply rubber stamped." "I made that decision on the basis of my factual findings and my legal interpretation of the Code of Conduct and interpretation I may add that counsel were by and large in agreement with," Hansen said in his 22-page order. Hansen also said if he had been aware of Harbhajan's serious transgression in November 2001 the penalty could have been different. "However, if I had been aware of the serious transgression in November 2001 I would have required more extensive submissions as to the offence in mitigation which could have led to a different penalty. "Overnight I have given earnest consideration to the Code of Conduct to see if it empowers me to reopen the sentencing process. Regrettably I have concluded that I cannot do so and the penalty imposed by me must stand," he said. Hansen said Harbhajan could consider himself fortunate that he reaped the benefit of database and human errors. "It is apparent from the contents of my decision that this hearing was vastly different from that that occurred in front of Procter. I have had a full hearing with the assistance of counsel with cross examination from counsel representing Singh and Cricket Australia. "I also had the advantage of additional video and audio material. I have had considerable assistance from counsel by way of legal submissions. The fact that I have reached a different conclusion from Procter does not reflect on his decision or the process he adopted. The reality is it was a quite different hearing from the one that occurred in front of him," he said in the order. In his concluding remarks, Hansen also sough to dispel the notion that the Indian cricket board would call off the tour if the appeal was unsuccessful. "There has been considerable publicity relating to the allegations against Singh and this appeal. Many reports have suggested that if the appeal is unsuccessful the balance of the tour would be called off or would at least be in jeopardy. Mr Manohar (BCCI counsel) has assured me that that is not the position of the BCCI and it is no more than media speculation and exaggeration. I accept Mr Manohar's assurance." Hansen said he did not feel any pressure because of the media reports on the issue as it could have been a breach of judicial oath to succumb in any way to such pressure. "I repeat I have independently reached my decision based on the evidence as I have found it to be and in accordance with the applicable standard of proof and interpretation of the Code of Conduct Regulations," he said.

ICC - a puppet of BCCI "It is very unfortunate that human error led to Justice Hansen not having the full history of Harbhajan's previous Code of Conduct breaches and the ICC accepts responsibility for this mistake," Speed said, after Hansen revealed that he had been informed of only one of Harbhajan's previous infractions. What a statement by this guy who is the chief of ICC. He comes out and gives this statement after the verdict was announced. ICC set up the hearing and if they didn't deliver proper information to the judge then it is either calculated misrepresentation or justice served out of obligation. In anycase BCCI has made a puppet out of ICC! :finger: