Lets get it straight - Ball tampering is NOT a big crime

37 minutes ago, Scar said:

Afridi was caught biting the ball ffs. Remind me again what explanation he gave for that, or my memory is giving up on me that he made up a story that not even a 3 year old would believe. 

Faf was caught using zipper, did he accepted his crime. 

I can go on & on, but you get the point that everyone one was caught and if they wanted, they could have easily cooked up a half baked story or play victim ala waqar, faf etc. 

Point again, cricket have shown the way that you can't be honest about your mistakes because if you do it only add fuels to your crime. Answer me a simple thing, what you think would've been the outcome had they denied it outright and played victim card? 

So you agree that they did lie. And they should've banned Afridi then, Faf later just like they did Smith now. 

You're clamoring for leniency while I'm saying the opposite. This will help in the future. 

9 minutes ago, urnotserious said:

So you agree that they did lie. And they should've banned Afridi then, Faf later just like they did Smith now. 

You're clamoring for leniency while I'm saying the opposite.* This will help in the future. *

That's where I must oppugn this whole charade. Ostentatious punishment like this won't have any bearing on further acts as other boards don't work as per the conniptions of citizenry. Moreover, now players have prescience regarding what ensues on the coattails of such loquacious act and whole gamut of doing such gandhian thing. Say shut, get one match ban at max and move on. As simple as that. Public shaming would've been more than enough which they are going through already which should be deterrent enough if a player has any modicum of conscience, if not this only drives away potential acceptance of crime in future. You are off your rockers to think this will curb ball tampering. 

1 hour ago, Scar said:

That's where I must oppugn this whole charade. Ostentatious punishment like this won't have any bearing on further acts as other boards don't work as per the conniptions of citizenry. Moreover, now players have prescience regarding what ensues on the coattails of such loquacious act and whole gamut of doing such gandhian thing. Say shut, get one match ban at max and move on. As simple as that. Public shaming would've been more than enough which they are going through already which should be deterrent enough if a player has any modicum of conscience, if not this only drives away potential acceptance of crime in future. You are off your rockers to think this will curb ball tampering. 

This is why ICC needs to be the governing body and ban these cheaters for a whole year. No actions from their particular boards needed. 

Whether you(or I) think this will curb future behavior is merely an opinion. But one thing is for sure that it WILL curb this behavior for Smith and Bancroft...at least for a year. LOL. Problem solved.

You still havent responded to this: 

Are you in the future, going to be OK with a captain taking this(ball tampering) as a calculated risk knowing that the penalty is just a slap on the wrist? Using a low level, about to be left off the team player(such as Bancroft/Unadkat) to alter the ball significantly in a world cup knockout stage? Then gain reverse swing, win the game, get caught and then still progress on to the next level when the only player banned is someone like a Bancroft/Unadkat? 

10 hours ago, urnotserious said:

This is why ICC needs to be the governing body and ban these cheaters for a whole year. No actions from their particular boards needed. 

Whether you(or I) think this will curb future behavior is merely an opinion. But one thing is for sure that it WILL curb this behavior for Smith and Bancroft...at least for a year. LOL. Problem solved.

You still havent responded to this: 

No, I won't be OK with that, but who's to say they won't do it in future because I don't want it to happen. I wasn't Ok with that when Pakistan was doing it shamelessly. Even sarfaraz in one of his interview recently accepted that he asks his players to throw the ball one tip to rough up the ball, what punishment do you see levied upon him for that? 

Which is why ICC need ban these players for whole year, you ask? 

Now, this is proper living in lala-land if you think they are going to punish ball tampering with such without impunity just for the sake pandering to the gallery now. Other boards will throw a hissy fit, conniptions, cry racism and handing even a single test ban would be quite an onerous task because let's make one thing clear no other cricketer in future is going to accept his mistake like Smith ever again regardless of how clear the evidence is, why be a Smith when you can be a Afridi and be done with two T20I match ban (yeah, that's how serious ICC thought ball biting is). 

12 hours ago, Scar said:

This will definitely deter players from ball tampering with a foreign object so blatantly. Meanwhile some subtle ways to do so will continue. Like this one: